Crawdaddy

Start saving your $$ - 2012 KTM EXCs are THE SH*T!

Available in August at a dealer near you.........

Since KTM never gave up on 2 strokes, I want them to blow my mind and come out with a giant like a 600cc 2 stroke or at least a 500.

Since KTM never gave up on 2 strokes, I want them to blow my mind and come out with a giant like a 600cc 2 stroke or at least a 500.

The words of a true phsyocpath :), yes would be great and not that difficult for KTM to do but the demand justn't isn't there I suspect, and lets face it there's very few folks that can really use a 300 2 stroke or the discontinued 505 SXF/XCF monsters.

The words of a true phsyocpath :), yes would be great and not that difficult for KTM to do but the demand justn't isn't there I suspect, and lets face it there's very few folks that can really use a 300 2 stroke or the discontinued 505 SXF/XCF monsters.

The 300s are fine but when it comes to the sand dunes I just want MORE. When drag racing my CR 500 up oldsmobile in Glamis I want more but it also must be light.When it comes to tracks my CRF 450R is best for me. Big Bear a 300 and my 690 everywhere else.

Did KTM get the 530 ironed out? I was thinking about trading in my 525 last year but started reading about all of the issues with the 530 and decided to stick with mine for a couple more years. I hope they bring the 2 stroke EFI 300 soon, talk about awesome.

I really like my 2010 530. Over 1000 miles and no real issues. Lots of power, handles great and very light. Even ran excellent on vacation this year at elevations above 11,000 ft. I did not read a lot of reveiws when I bought it and they kind of freaked me out afterwards but no problems.

Did KTM get the 530 ironed out? I was thinking about trading in my 525 last year but started reading about all of the issues with the 530 and decided to stick with mine for a couple more years. I hope they bring the 2 stroke EFI 300 soon, talk about awesome.

The 08 450/530 KTM EXC/XCW's had quite a lot of problems, the 09's where a lot better and 10's a little better again and 11's basically same as 10. That being said my 08 530 did 230hrs with no engine problems after I changed cam chain tensioner other than using a bit of oil so just put in new (better) piston and done 2010 oil system updates so hoping it will go that long again,a nd still haven't even touched the valves.

Just picked up a new 2012 500EXC and took it out for a couple hours. It's great. I had a 03 525 and a 2010 530, this bike feels literally like half the weight (not that the others felt heavy)and the fuel injection is spot on so far, no backfiring and no hesitation when twisting the throttle fast. Still need to pick up some aftermarket parts when they come out. IMS says they will have a large tank in a few weeks. Did manage to find a skid plate from EE since KTM decided not to put even the plastic one on from the factory anymore. And unfortunatley KTM still can't seem to find a seat tester to work for them, it's as terrible as every one I have had on the four KTMs I have bought new. The suspension isn't too bad but will need to be resprung for me as I weigh in at 235. Will need to add a steering stabilizer for higher speeds( and believe me, it flys).

Overall I love the bike so far and its a definite upgrade to the 530 due to the weight and fuel injection.

Jim

2011 990 Adventure

2008 530 XCW

2010 HD Ultra Classic

2012 500 EXC

2000 XR650R

Where did you get your 500 exc? That bike sounds awesome.

steve

quote name='Jimbo' timestamp='1318785693' post='113634']

Just picked up a new 2012 500EXC and took it out for a couple hours. It's great. I had a 03 525 and a 2010 530, this bike feels literally like half the weight (not that the others felt heavy)and the fuel injection is spot on so far, no backfiring and no hesitation when twisting the throttle fast. Still need to pick up some aftermarket parts when they come out. IMS says they will have a large tank in a few weeks. Did manage to find a skid plate from EE since KTM decided not to put even the plastic one on from the factory anymore. And unfortunatley KTM still can't seem to find a seat tester to work for them, it's as terrible as every one I have had on the four KTMs I have bought new. The suspension isn't too bad but will need to be resprung for me as I weigh in at 235. Will need to add a steering stabilizer for higher speeds( and believe me, it flys).

Overall I love the bike so far and its a definite upgrade to the 530 due to the weight and fuel injection.

Jim

2011 990 Adventure

2008 530 XCW

2010 HD Ultra Classic

2012 500 EXC

2000 XR650R

Vey's in Lemon Grove has them in stock, All American KTM in Ramona, Motoworld in El Cajon.....probably more

I got to ride the non legal 500 sat.( Short up and down the street ) What a nice rig. So easy to ride.

Also got to go for a few miles on the legal 350 . Wow what a nice rig. Sweet !!

Yes time to start saving.

Congrats on your new bike.

KKug,

So one is "Nice" and the other is "Wow".

Can you elaborate?

Stopped by All American yesterday to drool over the new 500EXC, very sweet bike, would prefer the XCW version but the plate is handy to have and sure it will make it much more sellable when the time comes, seriously tempted but my 530 has just been rebuilt and is working so good think I can wait out another year.

RJ also showed me a 350EXC he has modified for a customer, dropped it 2 inches, a real nice bike for the shorter rider, wish I had taken a picture as it looked such a good job, very impressive.

KKug,

So one is "Nice" and the other is "Wow".

Can you elaborate?

Well the are both- WOW what nice rigs. I am not in the market for a few years yet so all I can do is dream about them.

I've been drooling over the 350 exc, but I have a question about it. Does it require tassles and a basket to ride, or is 350cc's enough to keep it out of the "girl's bike" category? :lol:

While visiting GP today, they had a 350XC lined up next to a 690R. Tiny and his big brother! ohmy.gif

Later out at MotoWorld, they have a 500EXC. Both feet on the ground, at least front of. Surprised to see PDS rear on EXC and Link system on XC.

On the 500 EXC, the rear subframe is of interest. Looks like a composite aluminum and non-metallic molded piece. Nice to grab on and pick the rear wheel up.