Covered in Dust

Stuff and ride

Well I just received the new Touatech catalog in the mail yesterday, 1200 + pages of stuff for Adventure riding. If I wasn't going riding next weekend I'd go riding. Anyway looking thru the catalog has given me a strong desire to purchase a larger Adventure bike and ride to Cabo again but this time take the ferry across to the main land and ride back up. I'm thinking October/November and 8 to 10 days. Anyone interested? Also I'd like everyone's suggestion on what bike to buy. Anything from a KTM 690 to a BMW 1200 GSA and everything in between.

Covered in Possibilities

Garage not full enough Chris? That itch is what got me in the fix I am in now, 19 bikes. Enjoy.

Garage not full enough Chris? That itch is what got me in the fix I am in now, 19 bikes. Enjoy.

Well I told the wife I would sell the Indian. I hardly ever ride it (I'm sure I'll regret it later).

Chris

Well I told the wife I would sell the Indian. I hardly ever ride it (I'm sure I'll regret it later).

Chris

I bought a Honda Passport (my 4th car) a while back on the promise to my wife that I would sell my 85 Nissan 300zx and my 84 Toyota Supra.

I still have them. Stall long enough and they get used to them.

17248.jpg

475lbs of Pure Triumph... Narrative: Triumph Returns to Baja!

17248.jpg

475lbs of Pure Triumph... Narrative: Triumph Returns to Baja!

This has been a bike I've been waiting to look at. NCY will have the new one soon.

Chris

The nice thing about BMW is that you can make your own assessment of them with a 24 hour demo.

The bad thing about BIG BMW is it weights 525 plus bags. The 800 and the 650 weigh in about 430.

Now, if I had the money (With all it's riding benefits, the whole unemployment thing does have some negative sides), and I was looking for a 400lb -ish all around bike, I'd look for a 950SE. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2338164518.html <-- Not me.

Barring that, a 690.

Let me throw in my two cents.... and it is more likely worth at least a quarter.

You saw what my GSAdv could do (Mountain Pass) you also saw the flaws (Silt). You even had a test ride.

Of course, you know my choice.....the best out of the box Adventure Bike is the KTM 950/990.

If you're looking for lighter weight, it's rumored KTM is going to bring in a 800cc Adventure bike to compete with the Triumph and BMW 800GS.

I had an 07 KLR650. I thought it would have been a great bike for this kind of trip. Five gal tank, agile 650, and not too heavy. Talk to Pyro or Blufin2na.

Yeah, I agree the KLR's are good....and with all the mods, they get even better...one like Tommy's.

BUT, the KLR weight over 400lbs I think....that's a lot for a single. Why not go the extra weight for an awesome 950cc's.

I really like the idea of a KTM 800. I've only riden a KTM 990 once and at the time I was comparing it to a KTM 690. I liked the 690 much more but I was using my 525 as a reference point. I need to start thinking about a bike that is great for 200 mile of slab and then some dirt. Instead of 200 miles of dirt then some slab. The comfort of the BMW 1200 GSA is undeniable and Steelrain showed me that they can be ridden thru some pretty nasty stuff. However I would like a bike that I could pick up by myself if the need arises. So something in the lower 400# range would be preferable.

Covered in Hernia's

However I would like a bike that I could pick up by myself if the need arises.

Remember the BMW never really ends up all the way down with those air heads sticking out. I think you would have no problem pickin up my beemer.... next time I drop it I will give you a call :lol:

Remember the BMW never really ends up all the way down with those air heads sticking out. I think you would have no problem pickin up my beemer.... next time I drop it I will give you a call :lol:

Unless it happens to end up facing downhill on the "other" side of the cylinders...then it's even more difficult to pick up. Been with Maddog Mike when this has happened....no way he was picking that up by himself...but ANY bike over 400lbs is going to be hard to pickup when it's facing downhill....just that the Beemer happens to be the heaviest of them all.

p1040681_1000w-L.jpg

You have the Coyote Bag, If you use a 690, get a Renazco seat.

Soon there will be a tail rack to carry a Kolpin 1 gal bottle. ( Justin )

Unless it happens to end up facing downhill on the "other" side of the cylinders...then it's even more difficult to pick up. Been with Maddog Mike when this has happened....no way he was picking that up by himself...but ANY bike over 400lbs is going to be hard to pickup when it's facing downhill....just that the Beemer happens to be the heaviest of them all.

I guess I must be Superman... :lol:

I dropped the bike three times going through "El Impossible" (yeah, that is on a map) going downhill through babyhead. I hate to be argumentative, but it is all about technique; something I mastered since I fall ALOT

Hey guys, If we all pony up $1 for every suggestion, Covered will be able to finance the new ride.

Hey guys, If we all pony up $1 for every suggestion, Covered will be able to finance the new ride.

Covered has it handled - aka Covered in Cash

It's been almost 2 hours and you haven't called. You must not be riding.

cid