SteelRain

OK who was it?!

I am just imagining this thread in another forum where they are bagging on us Dual Sport guys. Again very entertaining.

I am just imagining this thread in another forum where they are bagging on us Dual Sport guys. Again very entertaining.

oh, when we went to the Hideout, got lots of the looks from the leather clad ones...

B)...dare i say they looked "gimpish"?(*SFW link, btw!..and it could have GONE WAY BAD...)

As an instructor(arrogant), retired Army Officer(ex baby-killer), Chief Warrant Officer(really arrogant), advanced instructor(really, really arrogant), assumer of other stereotypes:BMW owner/crotch-rocket rider/dualie/WASP/southerner,MBA, etc, etc.

I realize that I am in possession of a glass house and subject to ridicule and other aberrant behavior.

The term that really gripes my azz though is the use of the term "sovereign". Dicing on the track with a group of hi-test racers can get very uncomfortable when they start trading paint into a turn. I've also felt the panic when I realize something that I didn't see is very close to me.

As riders on the road, we are, for a fleeting moment, owners of that sovereign ground, and subject to violation by a host of other usurpers. To assume more invites the current level of scorn. I've passed and been harassed by others that thought I wronged them.

A particular incident ended up with a CHP, Julian Sheriff, and 45 minutes of interrogation following a 90 mph game of MadMax and standing in the middle of the road, preparing to "throw down".

Whatever you call them, the cruiser guys were wrong to exercise their might/right slogan. Perhaps passing them on a DY was also wrong.

In the end, it hurts us all and detracts from the spirit of riding.

In the end, it hurts us all and detracts from the spirit of riding.

in the end, 80% of all harleys ever made, are still on the road today.

the other 20% actually made it home. ;)

oh, when we went to the Hideout, got lots of the looks from the leather clad ones...

B)...dare i say they looked "gimpish"?(*SFW link, btw!..and it could have GONE WAY BAD...)

was that the time I was with you? What cracked me up the most, was the Harley guys bagging on the BMW guys... for how quiet their bikes were and how expensive... then they all broke in to laughter as if it was the funniest thing in the world

so... yes... it is probably safe to say, there is a Harley Forum some where, and they all make fun of us for: nitro circus clown costumes, being armor-clad dorks, riding single cylinder JAPANESE bikes, with our walkie-talkie radios, and knobbie tires, doing wheelies, etc.

Now that I think about it: you guys really ARE a bunch of dorks... except "you know who"

cut n paste from another forum

Japanese parts - Denso Radiators no less - will drive away the faithful.

Harley-Davidson's notoriously nostalgic, 108 year practice of building only air-cooled engines (with the exception, of course, of the V-Rod Night Rod Special and V-Rod Muscle) is about to come to a screeching halt. Thanks to certification documents leaked by the EPA and California Air Resources Board, all engines in the 2012 Harley-Davidson lineup will feature a radiator discreetly wedged between each model's downtubes.

A Harley-Davidson representative reluctantly admitted that the change was coming when confronted with the allegation. "For over a century, our bikes have exuded a singular feel and an unmistakable exhaust note," the spokesperson said during a phone interview, "but toughening emissions regulations and practical considerations have forced us to modernize our powerplants."

The rep suggested that the benefits were not limited to clean air; the new liquid-cooled engines produce up to 35 percent more horsepower, and run considerably cooler than their predecessors-- with a reduction in the signature potato-potato exhaust volume.

The radiators, manufactured in Japan by Denso, are purpose built for the H-D application, and feature a similar design to the slim units found on Honda's Fury chopper. All models will feature traditional placement except the XR1200X, which will incorporate a side-mounted radiator. Rumors that the V-Rod will be discontinued due to "redundancy" have not yet been confirmed.

"The time has come," the rep told me, "and our valued customers will soon see that Harley-Davidson is committed to embracing a cleaner and greener future."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: "Your valued customers" consist mostly of the folks who love Harley because of their history and classic styling. This is a blow to all of us, and I know now, if this is true in 2012, a new Harley will never be in my future. I will stick with the original pre-2012, and go from there. Even if I didn't mind a water cooled plant, just the thought of not developing it yourself, and going to a Japanese company, would be enough to not touch it with a 12 foot pole. Is it not enough your bikes already have a high percentage of Japanese parts on them? You are supposed to be one of the few remaining American Motorcyle companies left - now you are just turning Japanese.

The next news I would not be surprised to hear is that Honda Motor Company bought out HD.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company - you have just lost this customer for the remaining time I have left on this earth. I will always ride a Harley, but it will be REAL, and the heat traveling through the radiator will not smell like burning rice. Your management today sucks - you deserve to go down in flames.

Now that I think about it: you guys really ARE a bunch of dorks... except "you know who"

Thanks! :blush:

Harley has had Japanese parts on them for many years. My 1990 model had Enki wheels, Dunlop tires, Keihin carb, Showa suspension and Japanese meters and electrical components like Nippondenso and Koukason (or however those are spelled). I'd bet that only the frame and engine parts were made in the U.S.. The sales pitch in magazine ads was that a high percentage of individual parts were made in America, but I bet that if you changed that to percentage to physical volume, the percentage would have dropped by quite a bit.

Harley has had Japanese parts on them for many years. My 1990 model had Enki wheels, Dunlop tires, Keihin carb, Showa suspension and Japanese meters and electrical components like Nippondenso and Koukason (or however those are spelled). I'd bet that only the frame and engine parts were made in the U.S.. The sales pitch in magazine ads was that a high percentage of individual parts were made in America, but I bet that if you changed that to percentage to physical volume, the percentage would have dropped by quite a bit.

yeah... but NOW, they are messing with those two signature Harley-esque features... air-cooled and exhaust note

"but it will be REAL, and the heat traveling through the radiator will not smell like burning rice"... uh, Einstein, heat traveling through a radiator, which your REAL Harley doesn't have", doesn't smell like anything except hot air... it's not like it's a Japanese Rice Cooker

and, riders on foreign bikes have proven time and again, we can get just as loud on a liquid cooled bike as a Harley... it may sound like tomato tomato tomato, but only the faithful would recognize it as inferior

fact is; when most of the world was realizing that bike volume and emissions needed to be updated, they jumped on the bandwagon- Harley not only balked, but used it as a platform for why they are better; nostalgia, tradition, American made, etc. When Honda changed their crankshaft to mimic a "traditional" cruiser, Harley sued... NOW they are using a radiator much like the Fury radiator.

I talk with a couple of guys that ride Harleys (not "club guys", just solo riders) and they STILL say things like "when are you going to upgrade to a real bike?" I've had standards, 1100 cc crotch rockets, adventure bikes, dirt bikes, dual sports, but never had an inclination to get a Harley... and I have no issues with people that want them; knock yourself out- I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed my fake bikes...

but get off your high horse, and realize HOW you ride impacts a lot of other people, and your sovereign territory, while it may include your 8 square feet of road, does not include the 200 yard straightaway, with so many bikes packed in that it looks like a parade... you shouldn't take THAT much real estate

and when I have to pause the TV as your group of 50 riders accelerates up the freeway a half mile from my house

or stop my conversation in the restaurant because you want to show the world how loud your bike is...

those are the issues I have

I ride a KLR, so there!!

Oh, don't get us started on KLR riders! :heh:

no wait, thats ADVRider :ph34r:

KLRs- love 'em...used to have one...totally fun on the road and a total adventure off road

Plus all the farkling I could do; milk jug hand guards, milk crates bungeed to the rear fender, picking up used tires behind house of motorcycles, beads for the seat...oh the fun I had

BUT- I never saw a pack of KLRs putting along with no regard for others on the road...yet

My harley has a Mikuni carb and Sony radio, does that mean I am not a real biker? I also have load pipes and sometimes ride fast.

This thread seems to be focused on Harley riders. I feel the problem is some riders think that just because they are in a "MC" (motorcycle club), in the old days it was called a gang, (Oh no, now we are a gang!), Anyway this MC that likes to stay in formation, is not supposed to be "in formation" without a permit. They are obstructing traffic and should allow other vehicles to move through thier "formation" with ease. I have seen the same attitude with sport bikes in the LA area. The roads belong to all of us and we need to share the road.

If I was on my dualsport or my harley I would have probably passed if it was safe and legal. Wish I was at the BMW meeting when the HOG club protested.

All bashing aside, keep safe out there. We are losing too many riders latley. Head and eyes up, turn on the radar.

One of the many stories about the Rock Store. Seems Ed was getting harassed by a bunch of loudasspipe cruiser bikes. They would just roar up and down, take up too much parking, drink heavy and then get irritated. Old Ed, has to be almost 100(well, at least over 80). He goes out there and tells them to get the hell out and stop causing so much trouble. A larger, younger member of the group gets in Ed's face just a little too close and Ed, just reaches up and BAM! Punches the guy right in the face knocking him on his ass! The young guy started to get up, but Ed said" I've killed people, I'll kick your ass if you get up!". Guy stays down, dust settles and they go away to never come back. When asked about what would happen if they rest had joined in, Ed said, "Oh, I wasn't afraid of them. Hell, just punching that loudmouth on his ass was good enough for me"...

Heard it with my own two ears.

Surely not the option in all cases, but identifies a problem that was nipped in the bud by a quick chop to the face.

One of the many stories about the Rock Store. Seems Ed was getting harassed by a bunch of loudasspipe cruiser bikes. They would just roar up and down, take up too much parking, drink heavy and then get irritated. Old Ed, has to be almost 100(well, at least over 80). He goes out there and tells them to get the hell out and stop causing so much trouble. A larger, younger member of the group gets in Ed's face just a little too close and Ed, just reaches up and BAM! Punches the guy right in the face knocking him on his ass! The young guy started to get up, but Ed said" I've killed people, I'll kick your ass if you get up!". Guy stays down, dust settles and they go away to never come back. When asked about what would happen if they rest had joined in, Ed said, "Oh, I wasn't afraid of them. Hell, just punching that loudmouth on his ass was good enough for me"...

Heard it with my own two ears.

Surely not the option in all cases, but identifies a problem that was nipped in the bud by a quick chop to the face.

"Kick his a$& SeaBass!!"

On the way to ride today- I see 3 bikes approaching from the North...in single file...doing a pretty good clip for cruisers; definitely going faster than the speed limit, but not ridiculously so

I rolled down my window a bit, and gave the "peace" sign as a vote of solidarity and to show support...these guys were "RIDING"

Did I mention there were on the dirt section of McCain Valley road? :thumbs up: one of the guys, nazi helmet and goggles, with drag bars was standing up! These guys rocked!

Who is this guy Ed you guys keep talking about???

For the record, I do not have beads on my seat....

Its lamb skin.

and about those used tires, just where is that at again?

What really gets me is, why these groups think that it's OK to hog the road....common courtesy is to move over in the lane to let a faster bike and/or other vehicle by.

If they're in a huge group and holding up traffic, they're causing more problems than anything.

I wish I had been at the BMW meeting when those guys came in, And for them to threaten that there will be repurcussions....insane !

This thread is F'in funny.

The radiators, manufactured in Japan by Denso, are purpose built for the H-D application

I used to live a 1/4 mile from a Denso radiator factory in Battle Creek, Michigan. Looks like they could still be US made bikes :rollseyes:

Oh and I don't think the sound was tomato tomato tomato it was more po-tah-to, po-tah-to, potato. Spelled the same just a different dialect.

Just to clarify, I've seen other group rides besides Harleys, where the group was a rolling roadblock and didn't move over to let other's by.

And it they're going slow enough to hold up cars on the road....they shouldn't be in a large group !

Just to clarify, I've seen other group rides besides Harleys, where the group was a rolling roadblock and didn't move over to let other's by.

And it they're going slow enough to hold up cars on the road....they shouldn't be in a large group !

Scooter gangs don't count. They can't get over 30mph and we all know this.

What really gets me is, why these groups think that it's OK to hog the road....common courtesy is to move over in the lane to let a faster bike and/or other vehicle by.

If they're in a huge group and holding up traffic, they're causing more problems than anything.

I wish I had been at the BMW meeting when those guys came in, And for them to threaten that there will be repurcussions....insane !

case in point... although by no means is this anything but a "snapshot" of behavior, this is the ONLY type of motorcycle I would expect to see parking this way... sovereign parking spaces

DSCN3668.jpg

I know we are talking stereotypes, and NO stereotype fits EVERY person within whatever category you are talking about...