Sign in to follow this  
alyeska

Moab to Madrid 4-14 to ?

Leaving for a short trip, company would be nice for a change. Leaving san diego between 4-14 and 4-16 flexible on dates. Would like to spend 2 days getting to Moab, plan on running dual sport tires to Moab then having 606s waiting at Arrowhead motorsports, I then plan on completing the ride on the 606s. I am not changing tires until moab since I have about 50% on my dual sport tires left, some of the areas we will be riding you will need knobbies, but that is your decision. Once we arrive at Moab, ride gemini bridges and get some cool pics on the arch, then just wing it for the next couple days, evenings at Mc stiffs, maybe visit the "thelma and louise spot", and arches has a couple of trails. Leave Moab and ride through to Madrid New Mexico (wild hogs fame)I stay at the KOA camp since very little free camping is available, its about 30 minutes from Madrid. The next day visit the town (the mineshaft tavern) and ride the surrounding area, get some pics of maggies and other spots. I would like to spend 2 full days in madrid area since other historic towns are very close by. After leaving Madrid, spend a couple of days getting home. I never stick to a tight schedule, and I go where the beauty and fun is on these types of rides, lodging will be 100% tent camping in parks or any good (legal) spot we find, we will ride long stretches of dirt 100 miles plus, you will need full rain gear and cold weather camping gear, I have cooking and trail repair gear so we would not need to double up on that. If you don,t have a sense of adventure and can't be away for up to 10 days, this probably is'nt for you! I know this is short notice, but thats what makes it an adventure! alyeska

Wow sounds like a great trip. Was in New Mexico last June and really enjoyed it.

Love to go but need more notice Blah Blah Blah !

Have fun.

If you don,t have a sense of adventure and can't be away for up to 10 days, this probably is'nt for you! I know this is short notice, but thats what makes it an adventure! alyeska

Sense of Adventure - Check

Free Time - Aw Crap, out again...... <_<

Have fun - sounds like a great trip (to me)!

I know we have some other retiree's out there, it is really short notice though, I guess I'll get the whole can of ravioli at dinner time now. alyeska

I know we have some other retiree's out there, it is really short notice though, I guess I'll get the whole can of ravioli at dinner time now. alyeska

Send a PM to "Covered in Ravioli (Dust)" The other Chris has a lot more free time than this Chris.........

Wish I could go with ya Tom, but work and money is priority right now :angry2:

I hate it when that happens !

Checked the weather in moab and its running 60-70 during the day and high 30s to mid 40s in the evening, madrid is close to the same weather, this will be the first time I have been in moab when its not pushing triple digits. alyeska

Sounds like a great ride, and a perfect plan. Be safe. If I would have been born rich instead of good looking, maybe I could go. :lol:

I wish I was rich too, then I would,nt have to sleep in a damn tent! I guess it adds to the adventure. alyeska

sense of adventure - check

desire to go to moab - check

interest in this kind of trip - check

able to go that week - aw, crap....won't work this time...

If you are familiar with the area there, would love to chat about it....gonna get a trip up there on the books....not sure how late the good riding weather runs up there?.....

sounds like an awesome trip! i wish i could join you but i'm not prepared to do a trip like that yet. i spent a few days in moab last year and had a great time. there's so much amazing riding out there for all skill sets. hell's revenge, white rim trail and porcupine rim trail were a few of my favorites. hope you find a good partner to accompany you!

dsfox, pretty familiar with the riding, last year I spent a week riding the area, the best info I got was from hanging around in the pubs in the evenings and chatting with the locals, thats how I found where they filmed the thelma and louise jumping off spot. alyeska

Is this a dualsport required ride(street legal)? What is your distance between gas stations? Super interested, but would need to get time off from work first and then get some additional gear together. Sounds like the kind of craziness I am into. You have done this alone before?

Chris

DRZrider, 99% of my trips are alone, last year (june-jul) I did san diego to prudhoe bay circling the u.s. on the way home, 14k miles on a klr 650 loaded with a ton of gear, 4 sets of tires, 2 chains and sprocket sets (mud on the dalton). I just rode with another member to tombstone and back on my 650, and have 5 trips of 4k or greater under my belt in the last 3 years. You will need a plated dual sport bike with a fuel range of 150 miles or greater. I change my own tires and do my own repairs and maintenance on the road. Hope this answers your question, and I look forward to seeing you if you can make it. Dont worry too much about gear and tools, I have plenty to lend. alyeska

Is this a dualsport required ride(street legal)? What is your distance between gas stations? Super interested, but would need to get time off from work first and then get some additional gear together. Sounds like the kind of craziness I am into. You have done this alone before?

Chris

I rode to Tombstone AZ with Tom recently. He is a very experienced rider and I learned alot from him. I have ridden a fair amount myself but never had a flat tire before out on the trail. Tom helped me change the front tube on my bike and I'm not completely sure I could have done it without his help. Part of the problem was that I have a very stiff and tough front tire on my bike, a Conti-TKC80.

Tom had about a dozen tricks up his sleeve to get the job done just right. Importantly, he was happy to share his knowledge and experience with me so I will have an easier time with this task "next time."

Chris

Sweet, sounds like he is definitely the guy to go with. My WR250 isn't plated :( Let me know if you have a all dirt ride you want to do. be safe.

Departure set for 4/17 at 4:30 am from borrego springs, want to beat the traffic and get through in one day, reserved camping spot for 4/17-4/20, $10 for each extra bike and person in site up to 3, then camping where space available (park or outback) for the rest of the trip. will check site on 4/16 for the last time before leaving. alyeska

Alyeska --How did the trip go or are you still on it. ?

Calling Alyeska where are you ??.

Alyeska --How did the trip go or are you still on it. ?

Yeah, nobody's heard from Tom for awhile. I called his cell phone last time in Borrego Springs and haven't heard back from him. I hope he's OK.

We PM'd. He's fine. Back from trip. In the interest of privacy, I'll leave the rest for him. Nothing to worry about.....but it was a PM after all.