Erick

Anza Borrego Desert Dash 2010 Photos

Great ride, thanks to all who made it possible. I rode the Saturday loop on the last sweep team of myself (Erick), Strega, Zoot and TLKING

The day started out a little wet, but soon cleared up for a perfect day of riding in the desert.

We caravaned out on Friday afternoon for the volunteer BBQ.

1.jpg

We had sausage, burgers, fish from Tommy, chicken, awesome food

2.jpg

Registration night, we handled the GPS uploads, this is also the final sweep team pictured here without all the moto gear

3.jpg

up early for morning uploads, Strega representing

4.jpg

All signs point to RIDE

5.jpg

after a short road section, heading up into the mountains

6a.jpg

wet through the hills

6.jpg

6b.jpg

sweep team helping a DD rider out after a minor "get off", locked front brake and down he went in the muck

6c.jpg

6d.jpg

6e.jpg

6g.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Strega in all his glory yet again

12.jpg

13.jpg

caught up to some riders hanging out, enjoying the scenery

14.jpg

Dropping in to Borrego

14a.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Gas in Borrego

16a.jpg

Beautiful day in Ocotillo Wells

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Start of Poleline Rd. (hold on)

20.jpg

21.jpg

Lunch stop in Ocotillo, we just missed the DD provided lunch by ~20 min. Had to run up to Sealey for gas

22.jpg

Late lunch across the street from the DD lunch stop

23.jpg

24.jpg

Sweep team's bikes parked before the final leg to Butterfield.

25.jpg

Hope the sausages were good, I had to bail around 3 before even getting to help out at all, and left the sausages in the hands of tlking, the joys of having an 18 month old. Windmill Farms usually does a good job so i assume they were great.

post-101-1266794353.jpg

What's this? :)

post-101-1266794370.jpg

Um, what's in your paws there? :blink:

post-101-1266794380.jpg

Strega demonstrates how to tumble dry a garment using the heat from your brakes. :lol:

But seriously, glad it didn't cause a spill. Keep that crap tied down well people!! :lol:

The pictures are great. I'm really bummed that I missed this ride, but work stuck me on the wrong coast for it. Looks like it was a great ride.

Saturday, BikeSlut and I setup the lunch area, then set off to find a photo spot. Bob did the main shoot- I'm sure he'll post up soon. But I shot some snappys off to the side. I apologize for the quality of these- a dysfunctional point & shoot is not the right tool for the job. But some are kinda fun:

Got going around 6:15 Saturday morning, headed out to ride sweep at the dash. It was raining pretty good all morning and pouring in Julian when I got there. I saw some guys coming off of Orriflame Canyon road near Banner and they looked pretty muddy. The rain just kept falling as I drove down into the desert.

Wet, muddy dualsport riders in front of me.

100_0436.jpg

But then it cleared up just past Blair Valley and a nice rainbow appeared in the desert sky.

100_0437.jpg

Then it started to sprinkle again.

100_0440.jpg

There's that pesky rainbow again.

100_0441.jpg

Another Husqvarna rider, one of many.

100_0442.jpg

Woo hoo! I want one of these!

100_0444.jpg

I got geared up and ready to join the sweep team. I've ridden Orriflame/Rodriguez/Chariot Canyon more than two dozen times, mostly by myself, always enjoyed it and have usually ridden it quite easily. I must have been really out of sorts on Saturday, because I could not ride my bike up that thing to save my life. Either Chariot Canyon got a lot rougher or I got a lot older and more out of shape. I suspect that it was the latter of the two. :) Actually, I suspect that I need to have shorter fork springs....

At the entrance to Orriflame.

100_0446.jpg

If were as tall as this guy is, I would have ridden my TE up the mountainside like it was a mini bike. :lol:

100_0447.jpg

I held the sweep team up too long while I struggled with the wet sand and then the muddy, rocky terrain going up the canyonside. I knew I was going to have to leave them and let them set a faster pace. Once at the top, the slick clay and mud wasn't bothersome for me, but I was done riding sweep. No sense in making the others sweep one of their own. I split from them on the highway.

The gooey side of the section.

100_0449.jpg

The whole rainbow and nothing but the rainbow.

100_0450.jpg

More to come.

The rainbow seemed to be slowly sinking....

100_0451.jpg

The guys check their radios.

100_0452.jpg

And now it was time for some Kawee and Pyro style pictures. :lol:

100_0455.jpg

100_0460.jpg

100_0462.jpg

100_0463.jpg

The sinking rainbow finally hit the ground and I took a shot or two of it on the fly.

100_0457.jpg

This is where we split. The guys went on with their route and I made my way slowly back to Butterfield, hitting Blaire Valley and some other little side trails along the way.

100_0467.jpg

More riders near Blaire Valley.

100_0468.jpg

I had about 40 miles on the odometer now when I pulled back into the camp. I caught up with Randy and Rodger who were getting ready to head out to the lunch spot. A quick top off courtesy of KL and we were off to lunch on our Italian bike duo.

100_0473.jpg

More to come.

We hit some sand washes and creeks. Mostly sandwashes.

100_0474.jpg

I fell in a wash once, but I think it was because KL's pants distracted me. :lol:

100_0475.jpg

Lunchtime.

100_0476.jpg

100_0478.jpg

More Huskys.

100_0480.jpg

100_0482.jpg

Fakename wishes that Bikeslut would quit playing "looky" with the trailmix.

100_0483.jpg

All fulla sammiches and veggies and ready to hit the road.

100_0484.jpg

Happy, muddy bike at the end of the day with 120 miles on the odometer. :)

100_0487.jpg

Man, I really wanted to ride that ride and all the pictures make me more upset that I missed it. But it was wife's 50 birthday party so kinda had to be here. Next year though. Looks like it was a lot of fun.

14.jpg

The funny part about this picture is that this is the EXACT same spot we stopped to help Shane fix his broken chain last year, and we pulled up to this spot and there he was again. Incredibly random.

Shane has the Yellow bike on the left, and he's the left most in the pic.

I apologize for the quality of these- a dysfunctional point & shoot is not the right tool for the job.

Of course they're the right tool for the job, unless you don't mind your good camera to get full of sand, crud, rain, get dropped onto rocks, crashed on, run over, etc.

Without cruddy cameras I wouldn't be able take all my cruddy shots, and cruddy shots are always better than no pictures at all. :lol:

Thanks for organizing this ride. It was my first DD and I had a ton of fun! I will insert some of the pics I took.

794015024_CwmuL-L.jpg

I got lost on the first day before lunch and ran into this:

794015191_teo6j-L.jpg

But not this...

794015350_WXKwZ-L.jpg

Paul and I fell into a natural pattern of riding together. He was a bit faster but stuck with me none the less.

794015596_EUQ7G-L.jpg

794015754_SAZ8B-L.jpg

A picture of Paul "Shock and Awe"

794016068_n8QA2-L.jpg

We came thorugh the narrows and the dropoff by 0715 or so. No real drama although not too pretty. No pics either since we were both busy riding! :lol:

794017385_baF3S-L.jpg

Erick absolutely rawked the grill on Friday for the Volunteer BBQ. He cooked up the Brat's, Burgers, Chicken, and Fish, and it was all great. Carguy's wife chopped up all our tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and a bunch of others chipped in and I'm forgetting who. Everyone helped to make it a really fun time. That 7 layer dip that DSFox put together was DELICIOUS. Who brought the INSANELY hot salsa?? My face is still on fire. Thanks to TLKing for the grill, Carguy for the grill spot, Hobie for the sausages, Tommy for the AMAZING amount of fish, and anyone else who helped that I'm missing.

Good event this weekend, I had a great time. Just wish we hadn't missed lunch for the second year in a row on sat :lol: We got there and were STARVING, then went to Seeley and back for gas, then food, then back to Butterfield. 204.8 miles on the GPS for Saturday...LONG day. Glad we didn't come across any accidents or serious issues, that made things very nice.

One of the few trips I didn't take many pics at all, I was more focused on staying upright with my limited vision. Almost had a run in with a guard rail when the 9psi trials tire decided to start peeling itself off the rim in a corner, but ended up saving it and not turning a great day into a travesty.

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers, good times all around.

The Grill Master, Erick

dd10-erick01.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I was there last year....but was sick as a dog and hung out for the most part.

This year simply not in shape since my May 31 getoff resulting in right side injuries.....my first dirt ride was just last weekend at Plaster City. Had a nice time and the upper body felt good....shoulder, collar bone, ribs etc....the legs are outta shape, but did well considering.

I need some work, but we are on our way .... again thank s for the pics, and I hope everyone got home safe!