Mikey777

BMW GS Rider hits CHP unit on East Grade Road

I saw this in my Ducati Owners Group Facebook page.  A fello Duc rider was going up East Grade Rode on Pali behind a CHP Ford Explorer.  A GS rider was coming down the mountain, saw the CHP Unit, panicked, locked up his brakes and ran into the side of the unit.  Foruntately nobody was seriously injured, but the bike was totalled and the CHP unit was damaged.  Typical target fixation scenario.  These kinds of mistakes can be avoided by taking some riding classes and practicing emergency braking.

Here is the post...

" Corey Cook Yup, I was stuck riding behind the police car when it happened. Guy on the R1200GSA was coming downhill around the corner and panicked when he saw the cop coming up hill. Locked up his brakes and slammed into the cop car. Surprisingly no one got hurt... "

17202908_10158401965215204_2270737272701701379_n.jpg17308862_10154215829951691_3578207059316207028_n.jpg

Final Drive failure?

? Sorry. (Not sorry.)

Holy Guacamole'! :blink: Bike is a MESS! :o

wow, just wow. not good.                                glad no serious injury.

As you know Mickey, I'm training for my Police Motor Instructor certification (Graduating this Friday, fingers crossed). Part of my training includes a presentation to new police motor recruits that discusses that causation of collisions involving motorcycles and the countermeasures that can be learned (through proper training) and applied to help avoid them.This TC (traffic collision) is a perfect example of so many things the rider likely did wrong. Like you mentioned, Target fixation most likely is a significant factor. Failure to brake properly, failure to counter steer, and possibly speed are contributing factors. It's a fact that 92% of riders have no formal training. This is not only a bad for them, but for us as well as we share the road with them. When you know what I know about this subject, it is almost unbelievable that people can get a M endorsement so very easily.

12 minutes ago, Oracle said:

When you know what I know about this subject, it is almost unbelievable that people can get a M endorsement so very easily.

Yeah..ride around a parking lot?

That will certify you've enough skills you can safely navigate a parking lot and all the hazards it has to throw at you.

On the other hand, I'd prefer to decide for myself if I'm ready to ride. Does that make me conservative?

On 3/14/2017 at 4:42 PM, Oracle said:

As you know Mickey, I'm training for my Police Motor Instructor certification (Graduating this Friday, fingers crossed). Part of my training includes a presentation to new police motor recruits that discusses that causation of collisions involving motorcycles and the countermeasures that can be learned (through proper training) and applied to help avoid them.This TC (traffic collision) is a perfect example of so many things the rider likely did wrong. Like you mentioned, Target fixation most likely is a significant factor. Failure to brake properly, failure to counter steer, and possibly speed are contributing factors. It's a fact that 92% of riders have no formal training. This is not only a bad for them, but for us as well as we share the road with them. When you know what I know about this subject, it is almost unbelievable that people can get a M endorsement so very easily.

Hey, I thought the M test was hard!