DigDug

Big Bike Fun/Exploration Ride - North County

I was thinking about heading up north and checking out some of the roads up in the Santa Ana Mountains, north of Ortega Highway this Saturday on the 950.

I tried to do a ride up there a month or so ago, but we were turned back by locked gates, even though the Cleveland National Forest website showed North Main Divide Road as being open. I've since called and was told they were now open and rode past a few weeks ago to verify what I was told. For those of you that haven't ridden up there, it's mostly easy (some short rougher/steeper sections) fire roads, but it's very scenic and there are miles of stuff. You can ride from Ortega Highway all the way to Corona in the dirt - overlooking Orange County. I'm not sure exactly how much is open, but I figured I'd use Saturday to take a look.

My tentative plan is to meet up in Fallbrook in the parking lot behind Carl's Jr near Albertson's and riding by 9am. We'll put the "dual" in dual-sport by hitting a few fun, paved, twisty roads (with a couple of short, easy dirt sections) past the Wildomar OHV area and up to Ortega Highway. From there, we can hit Hell's Kitchen for lunch before heading up North Divide and checking out the roads and the views.

We'll see how far we want to venture up that way, but it's about 35 miles from Fallbrook to the Hell's Kitchen and another 35 or so all the way to Corona. I've never been all the way through, so I'll be exploring the last 10 or so miles. Assuming we can find a gas station close to where we pop out of the dirt, a bike with 80 or so miles range should be good. I'm not sure of the return plan yet - I'd like to come back via dirt to avoid freeways, but we'll see how time works out.

Anybody interested in a little mellow exploring on Saturday???

I was thinking about heading up north and checking out some of the roads up in the Santa Ana Mountains, north of Ortega Highway this Saturday on the 950.

I tried to do a ride up there a month or so ago, but we were turned back by locked gates, even though the Cleveland National Forest website showed North Main Divide Road as being open. I've since called and was told they were now open and rode past a few weeks ago to verify what I was told. For those of you that haven't ridden up there, it's mostly easy (some short rougher/steeper sections) fire roads, but it's very scenic and there are miles of stuff. You can ride from Ortega Highway all the way to Corona in the dirt - overlooking Orange County. I'm not sure exactly how much is open, but I figured I'd use Saturday to take a look.

My tentative plan is to meet up in Fallbrook in the parking lot behind Carl's Jr near Albertson's and riding by 9am. We'll put the "dual" in dual-sport by hitting a few fun, paved, twisty roads (with a couple of short, easy dirt sections) past the Wildomar OHV area and up to Ortega Highway. From there, we can hit Hell's Kitchen for lunch before heading up North Divide and checking out the roads and the views.

We'll see how far we want to venture up that way, but it's about 35 miles from Fallbrook to the Hell's Kitchen and another 35 or so all the way to Corona. I've never been all the way through, so I'll be exploring the last 10 or so miles. Assuming we can find a gas station close to where we pop out of the dirt, a bike with 80 or so miles range should be good. I'm not sure of the return plan yet - I'd like to come back via dirt to avoid freeways, but we'll see how time works out.

Anybody interested in a little mellow exploring on Saturday???

I would like to go, but Saturday is my daughter's final soccer game of the season, and I need to attend. I will try and ride Sunday somewhere. :unsure: Ken

I tried to do a ride up there a month or so ago, but we were turned back by locked gates, even though the Cleveland National Forest website showed North Main Divide Road as being open.

That's exactly what happened to Jeff and I a couple of months ago. Website said "open" but when we got there it was closed. We ended up trying to get a little trail riding in somewhere else with what we had left of the day. :angry: Rode up about a week later on my street bike and saw that it was open. :unsure:

That's exactly what happened to Jeff and I a couple of months ago. Website said "open" but when we got there it was closed. We ended up trying to get a little trail riding in somewhere else with what we had left of the day. :angry: Rode up about a week later on my street bike and saw that it was open. :unsure:

Kind of frustrating... I went with two other guys. I put my 450 and 950 in the back of the truck and let a co-worker borrow the 450. We got up there to stage and the gate was locked. So we unloaded, rode over to Wildomar OHV area and putted around a little before riding back. I was looking forward to the views and riding and was disappointed to see it closed. Ever since, I've been itching to get back up there.

So are you guys coming Saturday then???

I was thinking after my original post, that if anyone wanted to skip the street stuff, they could truck up and have lunch with us at Hell's Kitchen, stage at the beginning of the dirt, and ride North Main Divide. Of course, you little bike riders might be waiting for the Great Pumpkin on the rougher stuff. I wanted to do the street stuff prior because that's half the fun on the big bike or dual-sport!!!

Doug,

Seriously cogitating on this as my dear wife is flying back into town Friday and not certain how much I would offend by cycling Saturday.

You really cover both ends of the spectrum with the 450 and 950. Hardcore Big Bear and Softcore Santa Ana Mtns. Where is the Carl's Jr in Fallbrook; downtown or near I-15?

Dave

Doug,

Seriously cogitating on this as my dear wife is flying back into town Friday and not certain how much I would offend by cycling Saturday.

You really cover both ends of the spectrum with the 450 and 950. Hardcore Big Bear and Softcore Santa Ana Mtns. Where is the Carl's Jr in Fallbrook; downtown or near I-15?

Dave

It'd be great to have you!!!

I'm pretty happy with my pair of bikes... I'd be even happier if I could ride the big beast like it was meant to be ridden!! :unsure:

Carls Jr is downtown at the intersection of Ammunition Road and S Mission Road (address is 1137 S Mission Rd, Fallbrook, CA‎ ) - Google Maps Link - HERE. It's a good jumping off point to ride DeLuz Road (fun twisty mountain paved road)...

There's a Shell station across the street - really the last place to gas up for the entire ride (unless we go all the way into Corona or drop down one of the side canyons - I'm not terribly familiar with all of them, but I have a map!!!

Doug,

RonC and I rode N Main Divide Rd on April 16 and all was open. There was a sign at Santiago Peak that said the forest was closed, but that just means that you have to stay on the road; the road is open (very confusing). We rode from Encinitas up Hwy 15 to 74, and on the way back, we came down by Wildomar and got back on Hwy 15 at Clinton Keith Rd. We were pretty slow on the dirt, but still, it takes a long time to get really far along N Main Divide. If you all stop for a leisurely lunch, don't expect to get very far. We went just past the gate to the Silverado Trail (N33 46.134 W117 34.964) before turning around. Our ride lasted 7:43. The views are spectacular; enjoy.

Steve

The views are spectacular; enjoy

Aw crap, now I may have to show up with the 620 to verify the above statement :unsure::angry::)

Doug,

RonC and I rode N Main Divide Rd on April 16 and all was open. There was a sign at Santiago Peak that said the forest was closed, but that just means that you have to stay on the road; the road is open (very confusing). We rode from Encinitas up Hwy 15 to 74, and on the way back, we came down by Wildomar and got back on Hwy 15 at Clinton Keith Rd. We were pretty slow on the dirt, but still, it takes a long time to get really far along N Main Divide. If you all stop for a leisurely lunch, don't expect to get very far. We went just past the gate to the Silverado Trail (N33 46.134 W117 34.964) before turning around. Our ride lasted 7:43. The views are spectacular; enjoy.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve... I don't know how far we'll get, but am just happy to be out, leisurely poking around the mountains... I guess we go as far as we go. :unsure:

In past years I've gone up to the antennas at Santiago Peak - it's just under 10 miles of dirt if I remember correctly. You're right - it's got some amazing views. I've been at the antennas on a clear day and you can see Catalina!

Morning all,

I have to work all day Saturday, but just curious...would a DRZ400 work on a ride like you are planning? I'm not sure I would have enough gas :unsure: ...stock tank...if there are no planned pit stops?

Doug,

I would like to check out this area. I would probably ride to Hell's Kitchen and meet you for lunch

and then follow from there. What time (approx) do you think you will be at Hell's Kitchen? Hopefully

it wont be to overcast. RR

Morning all,

I have to work all day Saturday, but just curious...would a DRZ400 work on a ride like you are planning? I'm not sure I would have enough gas :blink: ...stock tank...if there are no planned pit stops?

I think it'd be about 80 miles from gassing up in Fallbrook, riding to lunch, and all the way into Corona. I'm sure there's gas within a few miles of where the road comes out, but I'm not sure. I don't think there's anything along Ortega highway close to where we pop out (closest would be down in Lake Elsinore). What's your stock tank range?

I don't know if we'll have time to go all the way into Corona unless we want to hit freeways on the way back, so you'll have to factor in 10 or so miles from Hell's Kitchen down into Lake Elsinore (although it's all downhill and you could probably coast if you had to :lol: )

Doug,

I would like to check out this area. I would probably ride to Hell's Kitchen and meet you for lunch

and then follow from there. What time (approx) do you think you will be at Hell's Kitchen? Hopefully

it wont be to overcast. RR

I'm thinking we'll be into Hell's Kitchen around 11 or so... Depends on the pace and if we play around in the OHV area at all...

Looking forward to riding with you again!

So will this be an all day thing? Father in law coming into town and we are hitting the alefest in carlsbad friday and I think supposed to go to the Delmar fair sometime on Sat

So will this be an all day thing? Father in law coming into town and we are hitting the alefest in carlsbad friday and I think supposed to go to the Delmar fair sometime on Sat

It'll be as much as you want it to be - if you need to bail, then bail. I'm thinking it'll take most of the day. If it takes an hour to eat and we're on the road by noon, then 35 miles at 15 mph (we'll probably do MUC better than that - depending on who rides and how much we stop and/or explore) is about 2.5 hours each way. Plus time to get home from Ortega Highway...

Then again, if you want to do part of it.. Do it.. Maybe the street (with minimal easy dirt sections. Maybe kick around a bit in the OHV area if you've never been) from Fallbrook up to lunch, then you can bail from lunch and head down Ortega Highway and down I-5 to your house - could be home by 1 or 2...

Lucky me, managed a day pass without making enemies. Evidently she is fine having me out of the house for the day!

See the group Saturday by 0830, Carl's Jr downtown Fallbrook.

hmm Ill try to find out what time we might be heading to the fair. Big bike friendly so I am guessing its ok for the "not so knobbie" tires also?

Lucky me, managed a day pass without making enemies. Evidently she is fine having me out of the house for the day!

See the group Saturday by 0830, Carl's Jr downtown Fallbrook.

Sounds good!!! We'll be watching for you!!!

hmm Ill try to find out what time we might be heading to the fair. Big bike friendly so I am guessing its ok for the "not so knobbie" tires also?

Your "not so knobbies" are probably better than what I'm using on the 950 (Pirelli MT90 Scorpion AT - my "street" tires) - you should be fine!

scorpionat.jpg

Also, you don't necessarily have to have a big bike to do this ride... Just something that'll do 35 miles of pavement and 35 miles of dirt up and the same in reverse (unless you want to bail to the freeway somewhere along the way). I called it a big bike ride because it's suitable for a big bike and that's what I'll be on...

Cool my current tires are somewhat like yours. They worked fine on memorial day except for downhill in sand. Hope I have time to do this before family stuff :blink:

Any room for a newbie member on this ride? I will actually be off-duty and in the area this weekend. I don't have a computer down in Vista, so I will send my cell number to you. Let me know...Thanks.

Any room for a newbie member on this ride? I will actually be off-duty and in the area this weekend. I don't have a computer down in Vista, so I will send my cell number to you. Let me know...Thanks.

Seems like this would be a great ride for a newbie imo as long as your bike can handle the mileage and your 640 should have no problem with that

We'd be glad to have you along Dan!!!

See ya Saturday - we'll be in the Carl's Jr parking lot - we'll be the ones on all the dirt and adventure bikes! :lol:

Looks like the fam wants to be at the fair at like 10am so I won't have time to go on this one. Have fun guys! Take some pics!

Are you planning to head out of Fallbrook on DeLuz Canyon road and make the transition to Wildomar via Clinton Keith (or something like that)? I'm considering trucking to Fallbrook and riding the DR650 from there.

Are you planning to head out of Fallbrook on DeLuz Canyon road and make the transition to Wildomar via Clinton Keith (or something like that)? I'm considering trucking to Fallbrook and riding the DR650 from there.

yup.. that was the plan.. DeLuz all the way through (including the short dirt section), then up to Clinton Keith and over to the OHV area on that short dirt connector road. Play around there (if there's any interest), then up S Main Divide to Ortega Hwy and Hell's Kitchen for lunch. From there, press out N Main Divide as far as we feel like and play it by ear...

I know Fallbrook is a bit of a haul for the south county riders, but it seems like we've got a few more NC riders here in the past few months and I've been wanting to go poke around the Santa Anas a bit more...

I'd be going, but haven't done an oil change or figured out where I have a slight oil leak on the 950, so I can't make this one. Instead, I should be taking it apart to find oil leak.

Going street riding again on Sunday.