Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Sunday Ride to Grapevine, Jasper & Culp Valley

Unless I hear otherwise from Anza Borrego State Park, like meeting the Rangers to survey damage, etc., I plan on going out to Grapevine Canyon, Jasper Trail and Culp Valley to survey the "supposed" trail damage from the Desert Dash.

Will keep y'all posted, but preliminary plan is to be at Grapevine Canyon and Hwy. 78 at 10am on Sunday. Not saying we will do trail work, this is possibly a survey only ride....but I plan on having a metal rake with me in case we can do some minor repairs to eliminate tracks off the main trail.

I am planning on riding my 950 out, do some dirt on the way, possibly North Side of Black Canyon from Ramona to Mesa Grande, then drop down Banner Grade on 78 to Grapevine Canyon.

The turnoff to Grapevine Canyon on Hwy. 78 is a good place to unload in case anyone wants to truck out.

I'd probably also ride out further to Ocotillo Wells and the Iron Door, etc., depending on if we actually do any trail work this same day.

Randy,

Were the "Lakes" that formed on that rainy day an issue that caused riders to re-route?

The turnoff to Grapevine Canyon on Hwy. 78 is a good place to unload in case anyone wants to truck out.

Whatever you do, DON'T PARK THERE! I got a parking ticket, about three years ago for "parking on sensitive vegetation". I fought this ticket for some months and even sent in a picture of where my car was parked showing that it was a well worn are that was not posted, cordoned off or even had any vegetation on it, but they would not pay any attention to me and I had to pay the ticket. Go down to Yaqui Wells campground to park, or drive a couple hundred feet further and park in front of that other campground (Tamarisk) on Yaqui Pass road. Better safe than sorry.

Randy,

Were the "Lakes" that formed on that rainy day an issue that caused riders to re-route?

I don't know yet, but maybe. That's why I'm going out to survey the trails.

Whatever you do, DON'T PARK THERE! I got a parking ticket, about three years ago for "parking on sensitive vegetation". I fought this ticket for some months and even sent in a picture of where my car was parked showing that it was a well worn are that was not posted, cordoned off or even had any vegetation on it, but they would not pay any attention to me and I had to pay the ticket. Go down to Yaqui Wells campground to park, or drive a couple hundred feet further and park in front of that other campground (Tamarisk) on Yaqui Pass road. Better safe than sorry.

Mimi, where exactly did you park...there is a parking area a couple hundred yards down that actually has wooden posts around it. Did you park there, or just off the trail on the side ??

Mimi, where exactly did you park...there is a parking area a couple hundred yards down that actually has wooden posts around it. Did you park there, or just off the trail on the side ??

I parked a couple hundred yards down in a well worn, heavily parked in area. There were no wooden posts and also no signs that warned that it was not a designated parking area or designated it as "wilderness", nor were there any barriers. There was absolutely NOTHING to indicate that it was anything other than a parking area. In fact, I (and other people) had previously parked there numerous times since the 1980s, so it was a big shock to me to find that it was illegal parking.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you don't find anything of concern there, Randy.

I'd have met up with you for the ride, but we have visitors this weekend until late Sun...

Randy,

I don't know yet, but maybe. That's why I'm going out to survey the trails.

There may have been some unnecesary (dumb) corner cutting by folks on the Grapevine......Jasper should be clean

I can't imagine any significant off trail riding except around the mud pit on Culp......there should be some consideration of the conditions that weekend......the trail would be MORE damaged if folks didn't divert around the mud pit turning it into a mud HOLE......

I'll probably be out there early on Sunday.....I'll give it a good look and report back

Randy, will do my taxes later, plan on meeting you sunday around 10 at hwy 78 and grapevine. You could ride over yaqui pass and park at the american legion parking lot, plenty of room and you wont have any hassle that way, and you can hit dirt from there all the way to OW. alyeska

Tom, I'm riding the 950 out.

See you at Grapevine and 78 at 10am.

I plan on riding maybe all the way to Salton City, then to the Iron Door afterwards, then San Felipe Wash back to Borrego, then pavement home.

I am very interested in this ride as well. Randy, are you still planning on riding dirt from Ramona? I can meet you at Packards in the morning and ride over to Grapevine Canyon to meet others at 10.

Just want to make sure.....there are 2 Packards in town...I like to meet at the ORIGINAL one in the old building on the east side of town by the 76 station.

I believe you're referring to the one on 7th street. I'll be in a red tacoma with the technicolor DRZ on my joe hauler.

Randy,

I'm going to try and meet up with you at Grapevine and 78. I'll park down at Tamarisk and ride over. Ready to roll by 10am (PDT)...

Hey Randy: It was nice running into you today at the Hideout after your inspection ride. My wife and Friend Robin had a blast burning gas in my convertible 70 Blazer up Palomar and down to the Hideout and then over to Bates Nut Farm in Valley Center for some obscene amounts of chocolate.

Here is a old pic that could have been taken today...Same old thing and beautiful day cruising.

PalomarBlazing.jpg

Just want to make sure.....there are 2 Packards in town...I like to meet at the ORIGINAL one in the old building on the east side of town by the 76 station.

Just FYI, the other newer Packard's is no more. It is now Da Tuna Shack. Great place for sushi!