dirt dame

A day on the trials trails

I love trials riding. I admit that I am lousy at it, but I admire it because it takes so much skill, balance and concentration. To even go out and take pictures at such an event takes a lot of stamina and riding skills, which is why more photographers don't go out and shoot these types of competitions. There is a lot of leg work and riding over technical terrain to get around the loop.

I went out to Corral Canyon primarily to take pictures of Alan and Josh, cheer them on through the sections....and occasionally laugh and point on the rare occasion when things didn't go exactly as planned at a particular obstacle. :laughingsmiley:

It was a good turnout, with riders coming in from as far away as Canada and Alaska to make the event. I saw people that I haven't seen in over twenty years (from when I used to compete), and met some new folks. The weather couldn't have been much nicer, short sleeved shirt temps all day long. Kids, old guys and a couple of young women competed, along with riders on vintage trials bikes. There was something for everyone.

I packed up and left before the last loop finished, so I don't know how the competition wrapped up, but I had a lot of pictures to upload when I got home. I had so many pictures that I didn't get them all dumped into photobucket until this morning, so I'm just going to put up this link to the slide show. there are quite a few of Josh and Alan mixed in throughout, as well as some interesting shots of some of the upper class riders going though their paces.

Enjoy.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/dirtdame/trials%20bike%20stuff/SCTA%20trials%20meet%2002-13-11/?albumview=slideshow

Great photos as usual.

How did that guy on the KTM do?

I finally got my trials bike up and running and did some figure eights around some buckets. Harder than it sounds!

Looking forward to some more practice.

Great photos as usual.

How did that guy on the KTM do?

I finally got my trials bike up and running and did some figure eights around some buckets. Harder than it sounds!

Looking forward to some more practice.

Josh did great! But I think that he was the only one riding the trailbike class, so I guess that means he won.

You'll have to bring your bike down to Corral Canyon sometime soon. :party:

Excellent photos (as usual) Mimi. Thanks for coming out and being our unofficial photographer.

That was Josh (JBW) on the KTM. He had a great ride and was the talk of the event. The hardest thing for him was making the tight turns on some of the sections. As soon as he learns how to bunny hop that KTM 300 he will be unbeatable.

There was a father son team from Alaska that rode their first trials event. I also saw a friend from a few years back that was there spectating. He moved to Alaska about 10 years ago and was down here visiting and decided to come out and watch. Interestingly he now lives within a few miles of the father son team and works in the same type of business as them in Alaska. They didn't know each other but are practically neighbors. Talk about a small world.

congrats to alan and josh. i went and did some picture taking with briana and my mutts sunday morning. here are few pictures from an obstacle on trail 8 using Josh's camera.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

It was a fun day!

I rode in the Novice class and the only difficult parts for me were the turns... The KTM 300 just does not turn like a trials bike, but I am sure in the hands of a more experienced rider the turns were doable on the bike.

video

th_MVI_0927.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Some photos and the video are from Spaugh, who had my camera during the event

Congrats to Allan and Josh.....and great photos....looks like quite the variety of participants.....

Yeah... before riding the section the checkers informed us about it. Unfortunately, the line for the Novice class went right past it, made it a little hard to focus <_<

They even had a one of the yellow markers which read "Rattle Snake"

Yeah... before riding the section the checkers informed us about it. Unfortunately, the line for the Novice class went right past it, made it a little hard to focus <_<

They even had a one of the yellow markers which read "Rattle Snake"

Just another "natural" obstacle for you guys to overcome. :heh:

Nice RR. Great photos. Trials riding looks like a blast. Have never tried it on a trials bike but have always enjoyed trying obstacles on the dirt bike. Trials riding would definitely make a better rider out of a person for sure. Dont understand why they dont wear full coverage helmets. I would.

I should never have joined this site. Now I am interested in a trials bike. It looks like it would be fun to learn.

Nice RR. Great photos. Trials riding looks like a blast. Have never tried it on a trials bike but have always enjoyed trying obstacles on the dirt bike. Trials riding would definitely make a better rider out of a person for sure. Dont understand why they dont wear full coverage helmets. I would.

Heck, it was only in the 1970s that they even started to wear any helmets at all when competing in trials. If anything was worn at all, it was just a little paddock cap and maybe a set of goggles. And I saw a couple of riders last weekend that were competing without gloves.:lol:

1961_GordonJack_1dab800x600.jpg

1970-Mick-Andrews-01.jpg

1E4C70A39C134C6BC820264C6BA874.jpg

214C70A2D0244C6BC750294C6BA7A8.jpg

224C70A2A4234C6BC722214C6BA77C.jpg

224C70A33D1E4C6BC7BF2A4C6BA815.jpg

trial-sant-llorenc2.jpg

Cool old pics. Wish those paddock hats would make a comeback just in general apparel. I think I have one somewhere & have been told I look quite dapper in it. :blush: The idea of riding with minimal or no protection is so free feeling. Back in the day I remember riding with a sweatshirt & bluejeans with work boots & a flimsey open face helmet or none at all & feeling great. (Young & Dumb):wacko: I think I am going to start shopping for a trials bike. So much to do, never enough time....

Yeah, those are some cool old pics! I love stuff like that, brings back some good memories, (whoops, dated myself!)

Cool old pics. Wish those paddock hats would make a comeback just in general apparel. I think I have one somewhere & have been told I look quite dapper in it. :blush: The idea of riding with minimal or no protection is so free feeling. Back in the day I remember riding with a sweatshirt & bluejeans with work boots & a flimsey open face helmet or none at all & feeling great. (Young & Dumb):wacko: I think I am going to start shopping for a trials bike. So much to do, never enough time....