doug, the format is a little different. There are 2 laps only. They are 60 miles and 40 miles. L1 is quite fast. It goes from sups out to painted gorge, through some mud hills and canyons and back. L2 is slower and through superstition. There won't be too many slow sections on L1. Maybe at the check points and in a few spots near painted gorge.

by the way, are you going to come race?

I know every race is different. At Johnson Valley, I hardly drank on Loop 1 (fast sections, then technical sections, both had me wanting to keep both hands on the bars). Then loop 2 there was PLENTY of time to drink. Even if just while waiting for riders ahead to clear obstacles and bottlenecks.

I'm hoping to come out. I have to get some work done on the bike and get the truck in to have a coolant leak fixed. If I can get all my crap done, I'll probalby just drive out Sunday morning since there is no bomb practice on Saturday.

I saw a guy at Spangler (National H&H #2 this year), that somehow mounted his drink tube inside his helmet so he didn't have to hunt for it while riding - I thought that was pretty slick.

How about a ziptie around the chin part of the helmet? Then feed the drink tube through it. This would keep it right there at the mouth.

How about a ziptie around the chin part of the helmet? Then feed the drink tube through it. This would keep it right there at the mouth.

Yeah, I'm sure there are all sorts of cool ways to do it. I didn't get a good look (it was at the rider's meeting), but it seemed like he routed it through the foam at the front, directly in front of your mouth. I'm going to have to play around and see what I can figure out. You want it easy to get at, but not annoying whe you're not using it.

This is my ammie take on the H&H scene*, #1 good bike prep,

wear your drink system with fave beverage (water) some electrolytes is a good call. and keep thinking to sip when you can because once your mouth is dry you on the other side of being hydrated. Slowing down a little to grab a drink is going to have little effect on your overall ride. In some(2) of brutal final loop D37 events Ive stopped to take a quick break and have a drink or some guu, but only after dealing with major obstacles and gapping the guys behind me. We are not pros and are not getting paid (except for contingencies) for this, dont sweat the small stuff, enjoy the scene, be safe and take on the challenge of the course and keep hydrated. Also keep calm in the pits and keep yourself together in with a drink some energy bar or guu equivalent type thing. The main mental thing for me is its me against the course dont care about anyone else and what they are doing, be a gentleman racer, but when catching folks dont let them screw up your timing or hold you up in the tough stuff push through.

*in the 09 season it got me through 3 nationals all loops competed no DNFs even got lucky once, 3rd sen b at this round in 09(woo hoo an imaginary podium spot!!)

My 2c not having rdden anying like this but quite a few 2 to 6 hr races in last year, but some of this maybe too late for you:

- I dont like pure water in camelbak as when gets warm plastic tastes odd, add some OJ, much better

- Hydrate before race, for me this is no problem as I drink lots of water but make sure your topped up before start

- Eat well night before race, carb loading with pasta etc, done well ideally dont need to eat during race

- Good breakfast before race, banana are good along with normal breakfast, dont change things too much

I wear camelbak most races but generally dont use it, I train and plan to only need fluids and food when bike needs fuel also, but if you'r stuck in traffic and can get a quick drink thats great. Same after a tough section and your tired a quick drink is a big help, as is some food.

look for the C&D Cycle banner we will be there in the pit area

More on this from Chris Blais Racing..........

PRESS RELEASE

Mar 2nd, 2011

For Immediate Release

Ryan Sanders/ Chris Blais

NHHA

NHHA ROUND 3 in sunny Southern California!

In just three short days, Round 3 of the AMA/Kenda National Hare and Hound Championship Series will be in full swing as this third round of racing makes for the southern most stop on the 2011 circuit. District 38, Roadrunner Off Road Racing along with Threat Racing will play host to their annual "King of the Desert" National Hare and Hound this Sunday in the Superstition OHV area. 100 miles of El Centro terrain have been laid out for racers to enjoy. As always, it's not just about the pros at the National Hare and Hound Series, as the amateur program will have plenty for all to write home about.

Making his first stop in El Centro in quite some time, FMF/KTM's Kurt Caselli hopes to return to the top of the box yet again as a break in his San Felipe pre-running will pit him against another Baja ace, JCR Honda's Kendall Norman. The returning champ will make another quick trip north (in between pre-running for San Felipe) in hopes to land on the podium for the first time this year.

Team Kawasaki's factory racer, Destry Abbott, and privateer, Jacob Argubright, are both eager to have a good showing here in El Centro and Argubright hopes to make up for his DNF at this round just one year ago in the mud and torrential rain. The talk of the weekend however will be the Purvines Honda Racing Team as David Pearson looks to lead his teammates, Carl Maasberg and new red rider Justin Morrow, to spots on top of the podium.

Add to the mix the local talent of Beta mounted Cameron Corfman, as well as the rest of the District 38 fast guys, and we could have the makings for a big upset when it is all said and done. One thing's for sure down here in El Centro, RAIN IS NOT IN THE FORCAST! 80-degree days are expected for the weekend and it should be a perfect time in the Superstition Mountains.

PRIZES

District 38 is known for its larger quad presence, and Round 3 should be nothing short of exciting as the largest turnout of ATV racers are expected for the year here at Round 3. The pro support classes are in full swing by this point in the season, and the ATV Pro class will be anyone's game when the checkered flag is flying. Alpinestars, Works Connection and MadJack Racing/AMSOIL have all stepped up to join Kenda with give-aways here at Round 3.

*You must race through the banners at the end of the bomb-run for a chance at the Holeshot awards!

Here is a rundown of what you have a chance to win:

B Class Holeshot - 1 pair Alpinestars Tech 8 Boots

C Class Holeshot - 1 Pair Alpinestars Tech 8 Boots

ATV Class Holeshot - 1 Pair Alpinestars Tech 8 Boots

1st overall B Class 2 Looper - Works Connection Hour Meter

1st Overall C Class 2 Looper - Works Connection Hour Meter

1st Overall ATV 1 Looper - Works Connection Hour Meter

$50 Kenda Kash will be awarded to the first 4 bike finishers with (2) Kenda Tires

$50 Kenda Kash will be awarded to the first ATV finisher with (4) Kenda Tires

4 Gallons MadJack/Amsoil (one gallon each) to the first place winner in each of these classes: 1st B 40+ , 1st B ATV , 1st C Vet, 1st C 86-200cc

Andy Lagzdins, First Overall ATV Round 2. Photos by Grumpy

AUTOGRAPH SIGNING

The autograph signing session will take place Saturday afternoon from 5:pm to 6:pm near the sign-up area. Bring your kids and come meet your favorite Pro and Amateur racers and receive signed posters!

KID'S RACE

There will be a kid's event on Sunday following the big bike race. Classes will depend on number of entrants.

NOTES

In case you aren't aware, this weekend's event is a 2-loop, 100 mile race. Loop 1 will total 60 miles and feature an alternate gas pit at mile marker 35, and will be accessible by your pit crew via the state hwy. The alternate gas will be manned by the host club in case you do not have the means to send a pit crew, and the gas truck will leave early Sunday morning to take your gas cans. The banner drops at 9:30am, but all riders are required to be in attendance for the rider's meeting at 8:45am. Numbers will be called, and if you're not in attendance, you will be DQ'ed per BLM stipulations. Everyone MUST attend the mandatory rider's meeting.

Keep in mind that this event is going to be under the heavy watch of local law enforcement, and all attendees are expected to follow all local laws. Fireworks are not permitted in the Superstition Mountains, and such offenders will be cited.

Come join race emcee George Antill and all of the Kenda/AMA/NHHA at the start line as the racers storm the desert in hopes of being named "King of the Desert" at the 2011 El Centro National.

For more information visit www.NationalHareandHound.com

I am outraged that they didn't mention my name in the press release of expected attendees, but I will be available for autographs afterward anyhow. :heh:

I have been thinking about it, but it sounds like the second loop may be a little too technical for me, especially if I am tired from the first loop.

Are you coming out for sure? You will have fun whether you do both loops or not. For me the races just add a little bit of excitement to a good ride. And as much as I like riding with a group, I also like not having to stop or look back for anyone else with the comfort of knowing there will be someone coming to call 911 for you if you crash.

Yeah, I will be going and will attempt both loops.

Pearson on a Honda!! Gotta' love it.

The IGNITION3 cameras caught up with David Pearson as he was getting ready for 2011 Hare & Hound season opener. David is on a new bike and new team and ready to race. He will be racing a Honda 450X for the Purvines Racing Team and will be competing in both the Best in The Desert and The National Hare & Hound series.

Love how he floats the bike in the turns;

141_1101_ih+video+david_pearson_and_kurt_caselli.jpg

I saw a guy at Spangler (National H&H #2 this year), that somehow mounted his drink tube inside his helmet so he didn't have to hunt for it while riding - I thought that was pretty slick.

Mark Brown... D38er.... uses a thing that has an elastic band around his head. The band, is holding two small tubes in the corner of his mouth... where he simply sips the water from. MUCH BETTER than anything I've seen yet. In fact, one 108° day... we were to race 100 miles. I pulled my camelback bite-valve end off in the first 8 miles trying to get to my hose in a high speed section. Lost all my water for the duration of the race. NO BUENO!! (still got 2nd overall however).

I use a neoprene sheath (Camelback Tube Director) that has a guide wire in it. The guide wire allows you to bend the hydration hose to any shape. This way, I route it to sit just out front of my chin/helmet.... and can reach for it without fumbling for it. Works great... and I never leave home without it.

tubedirector_90031.jpg

If your to race... you should be hydrating NOW... not the night before, or the day of!!

JJ,

I also like the other Big Dave* on the Purvines Honda its a great change, and good for the H&H series as a whole, he all ready has found great "privateer" success with a P1 and a P2 in the first 2 rounds. This weekend should be a good pro race, with KTMs Caselli, JCR's Norman,Purvines Big Dave, Huskys Davey K and Nick B, Kaws Dez and Jake Arg. as well as the D38 Beta fast guys

You know Im a Husky fan, but I really want Dez to get a win, I am also a big fan of vets (old guys) and Destry is in that catagory! My illogical fan hope Dez,Burson,Kamo (a real longshot)

by the way Mr.honda fan (and former "old" model Husky rider), word from at least one of the above pros is that Kendall is the fastest guy out there and is flat out on the gas fearless especially in ugly fast stuff, like very deep cross grain that can scare even the best dez/XC racers into backing off a little.

This weekend is going to be a good one!!(as are all the H&Hs)

Big Dave*=Knighter

Rob... your correct. Kendal's an animal at high speed stuff, and won't let off.

However, as much as I love to root on Kendal (and I still will), I think he's got A LOT of heat coming for the technical sections with all the capable pros in attendance.

.... it's going to be an epic race if everyone's bikes hold together and they stay on two wheels all day.

BRRAaaaaPPP!

BTW, 3 years ago (2008)... I watched in AWE as Josh Morros RAILED the Bomb Run for a second overall. He NEVER let off.

Rob... your correct. Kendal's an animal at high speed stuff, and won't let off.

However, as much as I love to root on Kendal (and I still will), I think he's got A LOT of heat coming for the technical sections with all the capable pros in attendance.

.... it's going to be an epic race if everyone's bikes hold together and they stay on two wheels all day.

BRRAaaaaPPP!

BTW, 3 years ago (2008)... I watched in AWE as Josh Morros RAILED the Bomb Run for a second overall. He NEVER let off.

He was very fast, but he is lucky to be alive after his later in the 08 season career ending injuries (head injury), he sorrowfully paid for that total on the gas attitude. Those young pro dez guys are crazy fast, I just always hope they do the more tactical/logical slowdown to go faster and finish logic so as to not get hurt. Its so hard to tell racers that (especially the young not so long in the race game saddle guys). Like you said racing is exciting and fun and a crazy job for the top guys, I always pray for super tough racing with tight competition, but tempered with everyone finishing or if not finishing its only a mechanical issue DNF. Its all great unless someone is injured. Safety first, speed second,finish third. For me #2 doesn't play out...so its just safety first and finish!! And enjoy the ride with everyone going the same direction on a marked couse with checkpoints and safety personel throughout!

You guys heading out on sat? I'm heading out tomorrow A.M. with jbw. Look for the OTB flags, we will be hanging out doing last minute bike prep.

I'm trying to go Sun AM... but, with a huge bash at my house on Sat. night... I don't think it'll be happening. :(

.... and good words Rob, I too (at this age) live on the age... but first-and-foremost with safety in mind!!! Even though it puts a damper on some of my antics, it's better to go home in one piece.

I searched for updates on Morrows, but didn't see anything too informative.

I hope for a safe and fun event this weekend!!! RIDE HARD!!!

hey brad im heading out fri night ill look for ya. Bummer its not gunna be like last year. sooo much fun!! see ya all out there. xxx

uh that was hardcore. :ph34r::dead::lol: haha

congratulations josh and robert, good times racing with you guys.

My race recap:

L1, I started off taking it easy then got to painted gorge and was taking people out in the rocks and still felt good so got on the gas for the second half of L1 pretty much stayed in 5th for the last 30 miles of L1.

Got back to the pits and took my time, the girls fed me a brownie and some cold water in my pack and I headed back out.

About this time I started having arm cramps heading into the sand dunes. I flogged it through the sand dunes and through the crazy sand canyons and up to the bikini girls at check 4. Got hosed off by them and headed down the silliest desert single track I've ever seen followed by the ugliest rock canyons. I was having to stop and let the cramps in my arms loosen up constantly. ouch.

There were people laid out all over the course. Guys off their bikes, no helmets, just sitting in the rock gardens in the shade SCREWED. I jokingly asked a few of these guys to move a few rocks for me. They didn't think it was too funny until one of the younger guys actually started to get up and was going to move a boulder for me until I told him I was just kidding. :heh:

I made it through the mile of rocks and down the waterfalls and got stopped up in a tight canyon behind other hopeless souls. I looked back and there was robert who had caught up to me in the knarly stuff. I was lucky enough to push up the last few crazy sections unscathed and was back on some more or less "easy" stuff. Got the bike out of first gear and checked out on my buddies.

I jammed back to the pits for the last 15 miles of cross country and made it back in time to take a shower and relax a minute. Thats when Josh showed up. I was really excited to see him back and not far behind. He had made up time on me in the rocks. His nice and steady approach paid off and he was still feeling good after the race. I was completely spent.

Shortly after Robert showed up. It sounded like he had to take 5 in one of the last rock sections. It was a major cluster fuuck through there. But it was very satisfying to finish this race. Congrats to both of you and SDlineman for showing up and finishing without issues.

yep I saw(caught up with) the younger (ha ha Brad) guy towards the upper end of another ugly rock infested canyon (we really kicked butt getting up that point). we did the thumbs up to each other and he continued on.

Once in the nice cool shade of that spot, I stayed there for a awhile to regroup, I was dizzy and really worked, Then Josh came up and immediatly after he left, I was remotivated, I jumped back on my bike and promptly fell over dizzy, I sat my tank arse back down and drank more water and 1/2 powerbar. After another 15-20 mins I finally got past the mental and physical crap and pushed hard to the finish (I knew we were fairly close 10-15mi at that point.

For all us that finished, wherever, its a great accomplishment and a real adventure, I think there will be alot of DNFs, the first canyon was littered with stopped guys and guys that were bailing out to the side. Brad and Josh you guys rock great job fellas!! The difference between us ammies and the Pros is just ridiculous.

My race was much less interesting. Took it slow on L1 and just kept moving on L2 with a few breaks on the crazy sections. The race did have it all: Open desert,whoops, sand dunes, mud hills, waterfalls,very rocky single track, hillclimbs, rocky loose hillclimbs, extremely rocky "mile long" hill climbs, Oh and more rocks.

I think I was pretty much last after L1 but was able to pass a good number of people on L2(many probably DNF). I guess it pays off riding that sort of stuff for fun B)

Glad I did it and even more happy I was able to finish :)

.................The difference between us ammies and the Pros is just ridiculous.

Almost unbelievable isn't it?!

I often wonder to myself; "how can you go any faster" ...especially when I play ride that course.