I've heard good things about both the Pirelli MT21 and Scorpion Pro.

I'm due for new tires on the Husky and am going with one or the other. I plan on asking Ron Bishop for a recommedation based on my riding ~ 95% technical, 5% droning between trail ends on the street, and see what he says.

I'd thought about trying a trials tire on the rear, but then again, that's why I have a trials bike :_)

A trials tire does very poorly on pavement, and as you probably already know, won't last too long on the back of you big ol' TE. I don't know what it'll do in mud on a trail bike, but have read that it isn't bad in the sand.

I had the Excella OF-219 on the back of my husky, and the tire worked well, and lasted much longer than the stock Michelin 3. I got it online through american motorcycle tires: http://www.americanmototire.com/

I was thinking about buying another set for the husky. But I'm also looking at tires for the BMW G650X which has a dry weight of 318 lb. Continental TK80 seem great and durable, but seem to be 60/40 and are pricey; Michelin Baja seem like a great choice but are also very expensive; Michelin Desert are also expensive; Pirelli's M21 are more affordable and seem fine. Kendals are also not too bad. Karoos are also an option. But this Excellas are super super cheap! Why not getting the excellas for the BMW as I rather pay less and change more often to have fresh tires, than pay lots of $$$. I really want the most off-road aggressive tire, which is DOT. Any other opinions on this???

For people that are ridding the bigger bikes, the tires need to support this extra weight and the tire will wear faster. As far as BMW bikes and tires, the TKC 80 is the tire of choice as it wears well, will support the weight, and the most important part-WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Yes, check with BMW before using a "unauthorized tire", and make sure you put the correct size as this will also void your warranty.

Thanks for the info. Kevin. :blink: I have not yet changed the tires from my BMW G650X. The Saharas work really well on pavement, and they have done fine with reduced PSI to 20lb. Well, up to last Sunday when they did terrible on muddy conditions at Lark Canyon (I'm still hurting from my fall :lol: ). Since I got my TE450 for more technical and harder terrain, I'm seriously thinking about the TK80 (as you had previously recommended), as a good road tire, with better off-road performance. If my son keeps on using my husky, then I'll have to get something more off-road oriented for the BMW, like the MT21 (if approved by BMW). I guess it's all about compromise.

put 200+ miles on my new maxxis desert tire over the holidays so far. about 75 of that was pavement. The tire is wearing VERY well and hooks up like a champ in the desert. Very positive feeling about this tire so far. If it stays as good as it is now I would think I'll prabably get 2000+ miles out of it. Just thought I'd share my experience for those looking into a new tire. The front is DOT, but the rear isn't, but still wearing better than the metzler 6 day DOT tire that came with my bike and wearing alot better than the Perelli MT16 I had on previously.

Go get a MAXXIS DESERT.

I just ordered the MT21's for my BMW G650X after many months of indecision. This was my rational. The Michelin Baja has great reviews, but they are pricy at about $50.00 more than the MT21's for the pair. The Metzler's Karoo’s are supposed to be designed for dual sport heavy bikes and BMW's G650X's have it in the dealerships. They are cheap (about the same as the MT21s) but seem a bit less off-road aggressive than the MT21s. The Dunlop’s 606's are just a little more expensive than the MT21's, seem to be the best performing dual sport tires (as most at SDAR use them and recommend them), but the size of 130/90 seem to get my bike just a bit higher, and it's already too high. The TK80's are Kevin's recommendation. They seem to be really a good 60/40 tire, but they are also about $50.00 more for the pair; less off-road aggressive also. In addition, my BMW G650X has similar weight than the other 650's (Honda XR650L, DRZ650, KLR650 etc) so it is not as heavy as the BMW F650GS (which a lot heavier than the X).

Someone mentioned the MT21s being to unstable on the hard pack, but I figured out this person had a very light CRF450X bike and that was probably the reason...

So, there we go, I plan to come back with a ride report later on... Sahara’s are out and MT21's in... ;)

put 200+ miles on my new maxxis desert tire over the holidays so far. about 75 of that was pavement. The tire is wearing VERY well and hooks up like a champ in the desert. Very positive feeling about this tire so far. If it stays as good as it is now I would think I'll prabably get 2000+ miles out of it. Just thought I'd share my experience for those looking into a new tire. The front is DOT, but the rear isn't, but still wearing better than the metzler 6 day DOT tire that came with my bike and wearing alot better than the Perelli MT16 I had on previously.

Go get a MAXXIS DESERT.

I recently put a Maxxis desert on my 520......haven't put many miles on it yet......looking forward to checking it out this weekend......

Regarding the MT21's, I had one on my YZ for YEARS.....it's probably STILL on it with the new owner......not the best off-road tire, but GREAT wear/life and highly recommended if the mission is more balanced between street and dirt.......I have Kenda Carlsbads on the front of both bikes now since I try to minimize the pavement miles......may try something different next time.....

O.Kay... I cancelled my order... It has been so hard for me to decide which tire to get for my BMW G650X; I'll probably keep the Saharas until they are gone.... ;) It took my a year to decide on getting the G650X, and now almost a year to decide on which tires... :D It's either something better for the dirt, but not as good on the road. Or something good for the road but not so good for the dirt. Why do we always have to compromise? I think I'm just going to ride my husky with non DOT dirt tires and be happily ever after... :)

Sell the Bmw. Buy yourself a street bike. You would then have a street bike and a dirt bike, then the decision would be made for you!

Sell the Bmw. Buy yourself a street bike. You would then have a street bike and a dirt bike, then the decision would be made for you!

Yeah! U got it right! :D

Edit: Actually, my G650X works great as a street bike with the Sahara's inflated to 30 psi. It is very smooth on the street; great for commuting, and fun! No wind protection, or very comfortable seat (not good to travel accross the Country on pavement), but for up to 150 miles of pavement, it is not too bad. :)

I got the Michelin Baja's for my BMW. I paid about $50.00 more for the pair, but wanted the best off-road capable, adventure type of tire, for the longer rides. Many G650X users on advrider.com recommend it. I'll come back with a review once I have a chance to try them. ;)

I had a chance to try my G650X with Micheline Bajas! I was very happy! They performed really well on dirt, mud, water, rocks, sand, beach! I liked that after going over a mud puddle, they immediately clear themselves up. I kept them at 18 psi through out my Baja trip. During pavement roads, I rode up to 85 mph with no problem. They do have a little sound, though. I did not bend any of my rims, at 18 psi. Did hit some rocks harsh, but tried to avoid most.

Here's a picture:

SantoDomingoBaja08019-1.jpg

The little bike needs new rubber.

Looking at a Maxxis IT in the back, thinking of the Kenda Carlsbad for the front.

Here's the question: Local shop has a front in the Kenda "sticky" rubber compound. Anyone ever run one of these, vs. regular compound. Although they cost more - he's willing to let me have it for standard compound price --- humm, Does that mean he's been sitting on it for a while and can't sell it since everyone knows they suck, or just a lucky find for me?

A little worried about life on pavement, but then again it should at least last as long as a rear, and it can't be worse than what's on the bike now. :scratch_one-s_head:

/Fred

rear tires last twice as long as the front... even a "sticky" front

i think Crawdaddy is running carslbads on his bikes... he spoke highly of them...

I'm getting 800 miles out of my 952 tires on the back, and have over 1500 so far on the front...I would rather swap out tires 3 times a year, than suffer through a bad tire because it lasts a long time

rear tires last twice as long as the front... even a "sticky" front

??????????????????????????????????????????????????? :) Ken

I'm retarded... HALF as long... :)

except when I was going through my stoppie hooligan phase

I likes all mah tires to be sticklers, otherwise I fall down more often.

post-2226-1204860225_thumb.jpgthe ultimate rock climbing single track combo dunlop D803 trials on the rear, pirelli MT80 on the front

Hey

Thanks for all the pointed, accurate, and real world experiences with the Kenda 'sticky' vs 'standard' compound. Just the information I was looking for. :):lol: ??

Actually, I did get exactly what I wanted out of this -- nobody said -- Those suck, I had them and they were terrible.

Once I get it and a new back installed I'll let you know what I think and how it holds up on the first few rides.

/Fred

post-2226-1204860225_thumb.jpgthe ultimate rock climbing single track combo dunlop D803 trials on the rear, pirelli MT80 on the front

photo by bikeslut.unauthorized re-broadcast, or accounts of this picture may result in civil and criminal penalties. side effects may include jetting issues. see a dr if you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours. may cause blindness. thanks for reading. got to keep the post count up. results not typical. your experiences may vary. I miss Hammer. trials tires kick ass.

Hey

Thanks for all the pointed, accurate, and real world experiences with the Kenda 'sticky' vs 'standard' compound. Just the information I was looking for. :):lol: ??

Actually, I did get exactly what I wanted out of this -- nobody said -- Those suck, I had them and they were terrible.

Once I get it and a new back installed I'll let you know what I think and how it holds up on the first few rides.

/Fred

:) wrong site for that kind of information. thumpertalk.com . here we have good natured, anecdotal experiences with different tires than you are asking about. and we ride every weekend.

photo by bikeslut.unauthorized re-broadcast, or accounts of this picture may result in civil and criminal penalties. side effects may include jetting issues. see a dr if you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours. may cause blindness. thanks for reading. got to keep the post count up. results not typical. your experiences may vary. I miss Hammer. trials tires kick ass.

I couldn't think of a rebuttal or clever reply, so I think I'll just tell you to shut yer piehole :)

I couldn't think of a rebuttal or clever reply, so I think I'll just tell you to shut yer piehole :)

shut your piehole... that works

it's all about the post count... oh no :) I am turning in to an adventure rider.... I post more than I ride :lol:

If you prefer "cakehole"....oh never mind, I am busy hijacking a highjacking :)

What thread was this? Oh yes....tires. I am thinking that I will go with Pirelli MT 21s on my next machine that needs them.

There. :lol:

Wow, I just read the original first posting by Trashman and I am thinking that I had a very different experience with the Dunlop 606 than he did. I now have close to 1000 miles on the 606 rear tire that I put on my TE450 and it still has a lot of life left in it, as you can see from the picture I took today right here. The Rally Raider front even looks better. They sure have done better than the stock Michelins or the Bridgestone EDs that I put on my KLX. <_< I'm impressed; no chunking or excessive rounding wear of the knobs, though I still don't like the darn thing in sand all that well.

100_0753.jpg

I just did my first ride with a Pirelli MT21 in the front and a D606 on the rear. One hundred miles of pavement to ride 20 miles in Corral Canyon. (Not a very good ratio of dirt to pavement.) I had been using a D606 both front and rear.

What a difference the MT21 made on pavement! Seventy MPH true feels comfortable again for the first time since I took the Trailwings off the DRZ. Didn't notice much difference in the dirt.

I had a run of bad luck with the Dunlop 606's.... two sets just shredded way too fast on the pig. I had people on the pavement honk their horns and give me the one finger salute in traffic for throwing chunks of rubber at them.

They must have been following too close.