amsterdam

Tools for KLR 'doohickey' upgrade

Guys, does any one have the special wrench and puller for the doohickey upgrade on the KLR650? Would be great if I could use them for a day in exchange for beer and good karma :rolleyes:

I ordered the doohickey kit from KLR650.com and got the balancer lever (aka doohickey) a couple of weeks ago but am still waiting for the tools and the gaskets :torch: They keep saying 'yeah we'll ship 'm to you in a couple of days' but apparently the wrench has to be made (!) in a workshop and that's not happening. Not soon enough anyway. Because I want to take off on a three month trip to Mexico this Monday.

What are your thoughts about re-using the gaskets? Is that generally OK or should I look for another place to get new gaskets?

Muchos gracias!

Where are you at? I have the holder and puller. I think I also have the gaskets that I could let you have now and replace with the ones you get.

PM me if you want to hook up.

I have the wrench, not sure about the puller.

Call Eagle Mike He can answer all of your questions and has done many doohickey installs.

+1. Eagle Mike has everything you need and would be happy to help you out i'm sure. It's easy to do in less than an hour with his help. He is in Death Valley right now though. I think they are due back early next week.

Where are you at? I have the holder and puller. I think I also have the gaskets that I could let you have now and replace with the ones you get.

PM me if you want to hook up.

Great! I thought no one had answered my post :mellow: but it turns out I have to watch my own topic :coolio: I'm staying at friends place in La Jolla at the moment. So I have the doohickey with two coil springs and a new rotor bolt and I have basic tools. Where are you located? I would like to come by tomorrow or Friday if that works.

Call Eagle Mike He can answer all of your questions and has done many doohickey installs.

I thought I had the Eagle Mike doohickey, but it turns out KLR650.com sent me a part from STUDEBAKER MANUFACTURING CORP. whoever they may be. You know, I'd be happy to sent this doohickey back because I am fed up with KLR650.com and buy the original Eagle Mike part instead. I only problem is that I don't have time to order and wait for it to be shipped but I'm willing to ride anywhere within San Diego county to pick it up if someone has it for sale.

Eagle Mike is located here in San Diego. Go back to Trophy's link and give him a call. He will have everything you need.

Eagle Mike is located here in San Diego. Go back to Trophy's link and give him a call. He will have everything you need.

I called Mike yesterday and he guided me through the whole upgrade. He's just a great guy, very friendly and of course an absolute KLR pro.

Btw: I really recommend this upgrade if you have a KLR and not just because the stock lever can break. The one in my bike was still in one piece (I have 11000 on the odometer) but I was stuck so it didn't do much. And the stock spring was loose and had eaten into the wall of the metal case it's in. Now, with the new lever and Mike's torsion spring my engine runs much more quiet and it vibrates a whole lot less. For some reason it also feels like I have more power at low rpm and I seem to shift through rears more smoothly, especially from 1 to 2. Might just be my imagination going wild but it definitely vibrates less.

I remember when I was a kid I could run faster and jump higher when I'd get a new pair of sneakers, too!

:ph34r: