I would definitely be interested in making this ride if there was not too much pavement. I think the weather in October or November would be better, there are some very hot Septembers out there. Just a thought. :clapping: Ken

I have planned to take I-8 from Jacumba to the Desert. I can see some trails on Google Earth but they don't look to go anywhere. I'd certainly like to hear what is out there though. I'll talk to you more next weekend :ph34r:

Jon

Can you get thursday/friday off?? We can check it out. :ph34r:

Hold yer horses there pa'dner...

Good to see the enthusiasm for this ride, just take 'er easy fer a bit. I'm still very early in the planning stages.

This ride will be in September at the earliest, but average daily High and Low temperatures will dictate when it'll happen. I personally don't enjoy having to drink more than my moto does just to stay running and if we camp out I don't want to be freezing my cajones off all night.

Pavement will absolutely be kept to a minimum, thats whats taking so long to plan it out. If pavement riding wasn't an issue I'd merge onto I-8 from I-5 and head East untill I see the sign for Arizona.

I'll keep all interested parties in the loop as progress is made right here on SDAR.

See you at Carguy's,

Jon

I'll keep all interested parties in the loop as progress is made right here on SDAR.

I've located the destination....

DSC00045.jpg

....and the road that's going to get us there.

DSC00048.jpg

I've followed routes across the desert...

DSC00050.jpg

...and have ideas into and out of the area all planned out. Just need to sort out a way across the Imperial Valley farmland and link up the best way to make it fun and exciting (meaning no locked gates or other property to contend with).

I can't wait. If you need someone to prerun with you, let me know. :) Ken

Same here. Limited riding time, but if able I am there. Looking good!

Same here. Limited riding time, but if able I am there. Looking good!

I want to ride too. We need to check a route to the floor.

Thanks for the offers to preride. It's always good to have help out on the trail. I'm thinking though that given the distance that this ride covers the pre-ride will be for the trophy.

If anybody knows of open trails or preferred routes across the desert please, please volunteer any help you can.

I've gotten the route East mostly planned out on Google Earth. It's mostly a southern route hugging close to the border until Gordon's Well. Unfortunately it's difficult to see the gates that might be blocking the way from mapping photos from space.

The return will take a slightly Northern route toward Glamis and meet up with the Desert Dash Day 1 route in the Superstition Mt area.

At least thats what I'm thinking now....

I'm off to Sacramento tonight and will be flying to Eureka next week. Anybody know anything I shouldn't miss in that section of NorCal, please PM me.

Until next time

Jon

I have been slowly piecing together a ride based on dirt trips and info from Google Earth and Thomas' Bros. It will begin somewhere around Pacific Beach to a destination anywhere on the Colorado River for now. My intention is to get my tires in the sand along the beach and ride as much dirt as possible until I run into Arizona. Then of course I will turn around, because nobody wants to go to AZ. :huh:

Planned route will start at the beach and head East to Otay Mt with the "standard" route to Tecate to pick up the border fence road. And of course border fence for quite a ways. I am pretty confident on the east bound trip as far as Jacumba on mostly dirt roads but could use some help from there into the Imperial Valley and just beyond.

If there are any ideas or routes you know please share? I'd like similar but different routes for each way, if they exist.

Feel free to share anything you may have, as I posted I'm using Google Earth to construct the route so roads, lat. & long. coordinates and political as well as physical landmarks will work.

I'd like to incorporate Thing Valley Rd and maybe Carvacre Rd on the return, but again mostly dirt for the trip. Asphalt as a short connector only.

Thanks to all,

Jon

If I haven't already piped in about this ride I'll do so now - I'm in! :blink: Looking forward to the adventure

Eastbound and down!

Complete route to the river is planned out. It's done in 3 legs, and currently stops at 2 gas stations with options for 2 more. Unfortunately the optional stops are quite off course so I think of them more as emergency replenishments than planned stops. Does anybody know if gas is available at the Pair-a-dice or in Glamis? I'll be working on total mileages of each leg soon. It looks like a 150 mile off-road range will be needed. This is a preliminary estimate, but a safe bet. I'll post more info when I can.

Cheers

:blink:

Eastbound and down!

Complete route to the river is planned out. It's done in 3 legs, and currently stops at 2 gas stations with options for 2 more. Unfortunately the optional stops are quite off course so I think of them more as emergency replenishments than planned stops. Does anybody know if gas is available at the Pair-a-dice or in Glamis? I'll be working on total mileages of each leg soon. It looks like a 150 mile off-road range will be needed. This is a preliminary estimate, but a safe bet. I'll post more info when I can.

Cheers

:blink:

Time to get some gas cans!

just reading through this post and thought I'd add my two cents on dropping down from Inkopah (jacumba area) down to the desert. there is an old stage coach road and there is also a trail that runs along I-8 called devil's canyon. I've been on both of the trails in a jeep. Both of them are pretty hardcore in a truck. Devils canyon is one tough trail. You guys might want to google it and have a look at the photos you find and maybe the brave could try and tackle it. Optional bypass would be I8.

just reading through this post and thought I'd add my two cents on dropping down from Inkopah (jacumba area) down to the desert. there is an old stage coach road and there is also a trail that runs along I-8 called devil's canyon. I've been on both of the trails in a jeep. Both of them are pretty hardcore in a truck. Devils canyon is one tough trail. You guys might want to google it and have a look at the photos you find and maybe the brave could try and tackle it. Optional bypass would be I8.

Alot of us have been from Jacumba to Mountain springs, do you know a diffferent route to the desert floor???

Thanks Spaugh, I've heard about stagecoach roads through there but I can't find them mapped out.

I got a track from Joliet that wound through a canyon and appeared to follow a road and river wash. I used most of his route to get my route to the desert floor. I'll look up devil's canyon and see what it looks like.

Update: Early to mid October is looking better for desert temps. Route planned to Brawley. Still no mileages

Jon

Alot of us have been from Jacumba to Mountain springs, do you know a diffferent route to the desert floor???

Yes, if I recall correctly, you can take a trail on the north side of the 8 around INKOPAH that heads up towards table mountain. Instead of going towards table mountain, you head east towards mountain sring, notice I said mountain spring not mountain springs. They are two different places on two different sides of the freeway. I'm not sure if you can cross under the 8 to mountain springs, but if you can, then you can get on the devils canyon trail and that will drop you out in the dessert, if you can make it through the trail that is.

Heres the pics I found:

devils canyon pics

Carguy, isn't devils canyon (probably one of a dozen with this name) the name of the canyon You I and Alex went up under the freeway bridge? If I remember correctly it connects to the old 80 and there is a sign there that says no vehicles.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=472

:D Ken

thats the same trail i'm talking about. It was open to jeeps 6 months ago.

I'm now linked up to the 2007 Desert Dash Day 1 route at Superstition Mt. This puts the planned route into Julian. Now where to go from there...

Given the extreme fire hazard state of East county and the temporary closures in effect. I'm wondering if this ride should wait until those areas reopen.

Opinions anyone?

:D

I'm now linked up to the 2007 Desert Dash Day 1 route at Superstition Mt. This puts the planned route into Julian. Now where to go from there...

Given the extreme fire hazard state of East county and the temporary closures in effect. I'm wondering if this ride should wait until those areas reopen.

Opinions anyone?

:D

We need moisture.

I think riding in the fire threaten areas should be put on hold. :D

I'm now linked up to the 2007 Desert Dash Day 1 route at Superstition Mt...

Opinions anyone?

:scratch_one-s_head:

Opinions are like @$$holes, and sure as heck Ive got one...

Superstition - GOOD! :)

Fire - BAD! :o

Rain - GOOD! :D

Not having any - BAD! :angry:

Waiting for rain before we go into fire threatened areas - GOOD! :unsure:

Having to wait - BAD! <_<

These are the mileages for the fuel stops so far. The third leg will be the longest, I'll hopefully get that one done tomorrow.

1st - 65 mi

2nd - 90 mi

These are very approximate as the mapping program I'm using measures based on Lat and Long and doesn't take into account the changes in elevation between waypoints. Additionally as I look into it more I think the 2nd leg has an unpassable wash planned into it. I could be wrong as my view down from space sure looks like it's doable. But we'll have to wait and see.

Did someone say it's going to rain this weekend?

If your thinking what I think you are thinking- Coyote number 1 road hits the 98 about 6.5 miles from where we will be parked in Ocotillo. Might have to check it out. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

We ride Dual Sport bikes. Get the ride going, just ride street around the fire areas.