Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Soboba 32nd Annual Trail Ride

I know....I say this every year, but....get together with 700 of your closest friends for a couple of thirty mile loops of nose bleed steep hill climbs, giant bike swallowing ruts, gnarly river crossings etc. If the rain keeps up like it has been so far this winter, the dirt should be really prime for this event.

1-4-201175435AM.jpg

Who has done this? The idea of riding with 700 others is about as appealing as rush hour traffic. Is it as bad as it sounds or can you get spaced out enough to make it an enjoyable ride.

Who has done this? The idea of riding with 700 others is about as appealing as rush hour traffic. Is it as bad as it sounds or can you get spaced out enough to make it an enjoyable ride.

I rode it one year. Some folks like the event very much. If you want to avoid the crowds, ride the second loop, after everybody has crashed, busted their bike, gotten pooped out or become intimidated of the terrain.

I was going to do it last year as the concept of the ride is really appealing. Then I did some research. What I found was that if you're not in the first wave of riders onto the course you're pretty much stuck at the first hillclimb as the bottleneck of talent, or lack there of, has slowed down to a standstill. Some guys were standing at the bottom of each hillclimb/obstacle for an hour or more and never got to start the second loop as they ran out of time in the day. Some riders will look for bypasses around the bottleneck off course just to get moving and make an attmpt to complete the days ride.

Good luck if you go. It says "invitational" but that only means anybody that sends in their money is "invited".

I've did Soboba 10 years in a row and loved it. Every year was different according to the weather. It's true that if you don't get off the line early there are some horrible bottle necks in some of the canyons, however I always found a way around. I remember the 1st year I rode it a friend and I showed up and people were giving us a hard time because our bikes were new and shinny, and they said they would be trashed after the ride. It was just BS. We rode both loops and never had any problems. It is tough but it's fun and challenging and great terrain to ride on.

Covered in Soboba

I still recommend the ride, although I have only done it once after a week long rain in (00 or 01 I think, I know I was on my KTM250EXC) lots of "beginners" I was not at the front, but just ended up being bold but not an arse about passing many. Folks seemed more scared of the downhills and lots of bottlenecks were people dismounting to walk their bikes down hills or just stopped at the tops and looking down, I passed at leat 100 bikes in those spots. as for the long uphills passing was more difficult but I dont recall it being that bad. I remember a few technical spots that had some of us find alternates to avoid the carnage of tire burners. At the end of the day the trails were epic but again sometimes it was a slow speed conga line. I think the one time was enough for me, we have many other events that more intense and epic (Tractor Racing HS in Tecate for one). That said I still recommend the ride at least once as a must do adventure for the books. RN

I herd the Horror Story's--as with the last 10 years I will pass.

But if you have it on your Bucket List this should be a good year for it.

Thanks for all the info... Way to much chaos for me. I think I will do my own ride with 5-6 of my closest friends instead.. :drinks:

I think I will do my own ride with 5-6 of my closest friends instead

I know I'm not one of the closest, but if you can include facebook friends please send me an invite.

And just to clarify things (if anybody was wondering), The Soboba reservation does not offer any trail riding to the general public outside of this annual event.

I know I'm not one of the closest, but if you can include facebook friends please send me an invite.

Pasta.. You are always welcome to any of my rides..