Bagstr

Buttes Pass - Saturday 12-4-10

0900 Arrival 0930 Departure - Intermediate Ride, Silty Drop @ Borrego Mtn Wash, Deep Sand off and On. Bring Tubes, Tools, Water/Snacks

New Offload Point this trip. Intersection of Buttes Pass and Buttes Canyon. This is 1 mile north of Hwy 78 from a point 1.3 miles east of Hwy 78 and Borrego Springs Rd. See map.

Plan is to check out a trail south of Borrego Sink from the San Gregorio monument ( Sleepy Hollow ) and north of the Air Ranch. Should dead end then we head north to Inspiration Point / Thimble / Fault W.

The day can be as big or small as we want

I had to step back from the Island Trip the Movers and Shakers are on this week, so A Day in the Desert is my consolation.

http://maps.google.c...4ee399f1c15e6f8

Hmmm...I'll see if I can get a hall pass. Sounds like a good ride to try my new (to me) BRP.

Good Deal, we will make it happen.

Sneeker, You brought the Red Bike in your ride report back from NorCal??

Good Deal, we will make it happen.

Sneeker, You brought the Red Bike in your ride report back from NorCal??

Nah, that's the same little XR250 I rode with you on a ride last winter, just with a new red gas tank and red plastics. See linky for ride reference.

This is the PIG I just bought off of a friend, 2003 XR650R, it has all the goodies. This is the one I want to ride this trip.

post-3850-026380500 1291224671_thumb.jpg

Hey Bags,

Do you have x,y coordinates for the turn off and launch point?

How many miles do you have in mind for this trip?

Hey Bags,

Do you have x,y coordinates for the turn off and launch point?

How many miles do you have in mind for this trip?

75 to 100 miles, it is up to us. Clockwise rotation to anywhere.

I can carry fuel if you need.

Click on GMap blue markers for GPS coord

These are close:

Park N33 10.280 W116 12.787

Turn north off Hwy 78 N33 09.545 W116 13.124

Sounds good...Where do we meet?

The Google Maps link above usually works.

Bagster,

I may try and join up with your ride if you don't mind. I'm a SDAR noob but a moderately experienced rider.

Couple of questions:

1. I'm assuming this ride is only for plated bikes?

2. Are you going to be running radios? If so, GRS/FMRS, Ham or other?

If I can make it, I'll be happy to ride sweep. I'll be carrying tubes, tools, air etc.

Many thanks!

-Marty

BTW, I'm neighbors with GoofyFoot and will probably be trying to help him sort out his DRZ (I used to have one as well). Probably can't get it done in time for this ride though. Small world huh?

Nice Bike Sneeker....don't let the Orange bias of this group turn you away from a nice bike. I have a bunch of Hondas, 9 I think.

Sounds good...Where do we meet?

The Google Maps link above usually works.

I do not get it...I see the google map with no indecation for meeting spot.

Martog,

Yes, definitely a Plated ride. The route is entirely in the Anza Borrego State Park ( except short pavement sections ) which require street legal vehicles.

I stay out of the ORV Park. 40 plus miles of two track Sand, open spaces, big views.

Radios,,Yes bring them if you have 'em HAM 146.505.

Hope you make the ride. Don't believe any of the stories you've heard of SDAR, we have a good time. We keep track of everyone and all are encouraged

to ride at their pace.

Thanks for helping GF get back on track. Don't want to worry about your ride out there!

Location,

Hey, sorry if this is confusing. The start is on the south side of Borrego Mountain 1.0 miles north of Hwy 78, 2.1 miles west of Desert Ironwood RV Park and the Ocotillo Wells Off Road Park.

As you travel east on Hwy 78 from Borrego Springs Rd. there is a sign "Buttes Pass" at 1.3 miles. Turn north on sandy two track. 1.0 miles north toward Desert Lookout and the Drop to Borrego Mountain Wash is the jct of Buttes Pass Rd. and Buttes Canyon. This is the parking spot.

Maybe folks need Google Maps software on your machine to read details on the map. My map has waypoints, blue bubbles.

See the GPS Lat / Lon above.

1058874051_9sMhA-L.jpg

Bagstr,

If there is time definitely check out The Slot. Very tight quarters and quite the unique little hiking trail.

I am in. Anybody want to carpool out there with me??????

I have a 4 door F-350 longbed and a double Joe- Hauler that can carry up to 1200 lbs leaving from Escondido. Before 8am.

I will bring sandwiches in a cooler if thats ok for everyone. I will be bringing 12 submarines.

More???

CRAP...I forgot I have a paddle on my 690 that I have to get off.

Submarines.jpg

Schwinn,

You bring the sandwiches and tire. I will bring the tools and we can have a tire changing party while others explore the Slot.

Hey, I will throw in a spray water bottle,,,20minutes, right.

Schwinn,

You bring the sandwiches and tire. I will bring the tools and we can have a tire changing party while others explore the Slot.

Hey, I will throw in a spray water bottle,,,20minutes, right.

I will be paying NCY to change my tire. I run heavy duty tubes front and rear and I know how to but refuse to change a tire with a shop close by. Out in the middle of the desert is a different thing. :rolleyes:

This is my first post! I am definetly in for this ride,I want one of those sandwiches!

I feel under pressure. I hope my sandwich is good to you. Its mostly about being FREE and thats always good. :lol:

This is my first post! I am definetly in for this ride,I want one of those sandwiches!

they are almost good enough to make up for schwinn's personality... really.. they are THAT good! :coolio:

I'm confirmed!

For me, it is really all about the sandwich!

See you all at 9am. If you see white Tacoma (with a blue & yellow Husky hanging off the back) wondering around looking lost - well that'll be me!

-Marty

See you all 0900

Park on established roadways as the Park Rangers ticket for driving off roadway. No permit required in the State Park.

Plated bikes required. The road is level with minimal sand. Return to trucks 2:00 - 3:00.

If you have a radio 146.505. No restaurant stops, except Schwinns snacks. Bring water!!

We are over prepared. Now we can just enjoy the ride.

I'll see ya out their at 9:00

I'm not exacty sure where the parking spot is but I know where butte road is off 78 so if I go a mile north I should be able to find you. eh..