SnailDarter

Moving in from the Pacific Northwet

That's right -- I thought I'd move down here and reverse the trend.

I can't wait to get all my stuff moved down from Portand and start exploring the area.

My current dualsport is of the 'larger' variety as I ride an '00 GS1150. I've dropped the rear diff down to a 3.0:1 which really helped it offroad and is much easier on the clutch. Besides that I've put some engine protection on, fabricated a skid plate for under the center stand, and put on a two-brothers exhaust and Y-pipe (to remove the CAT and drop a bunch of weight). For a big pig it does amazingly well, but I'm thinking I'll find a lot more sand down here than I'm used to so that will be a challenge.

Once the moving expenses settle out I'll be looking to expand the stable with something a bit smaller (400-500 cc range). What are all your favorite bikes and why? I'd also like to hear input on riding apparel as I'll need some cooler gear or I'll die of heat. This would be for both offroad and for road.

/Fred

That's right -- I thought I'd move down here and reverse the trend.

I can't wait to get all my stuff moved down from Portand and start exploring the area.

My current dualsport is of the 'larger' variety as I ride an '00 GS1150. I've dropped the rear diff down to a 3.0:1 which really helped it offroad and is much easier on the clutch. Besides that I've put some engine protection on, fabricated a skid plate for under the center stand, and put on a two-brothers exhaust and Y-pipe (to remove the CAT and drop a bunch of weight). For a big pig it does amazingly well, but I'm thinking I'll find a lot more sand down here than I'm used to so that will be a challenge.

Once the moving expenses settle out I'll be looking to expand the stable with something a bit smaller (400-500 cc range). What are all your favorite bikes and why? I'd also like to hear input on riding apparel as I'll need some cooler gear or I'll die of heat. This would be for both offroad and for road.

/Fred

Welcome aboard Freddy, It'll be great to have you as a riding partner again!!!

(FYI to my fellow "adventurers".....Fred and I went to college together/rode together ~30 years ago.....Fred sold me my first street bike - a 1977 Suzuki GT550 - when he traded up to a GS750...... geez, I feel a bit old(er) now :angry: )

One word regarding apparel - "vented"

/Fred

Welcome B) Glad to hear that you have some "built-in" familiarity here in the 'daddy. As you can tell from the signature, I'm big on KTM. They are light, fast, reliable, and come out of the box with some high end components. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to combine my race bike and DS into one of the 2007 (plated) 525 EXC models (they also make it in a 450), or wait for the '08 to come-out :angry:

As far as gear goes, vented is a key factor, and layered is also a good idea.

Hope to ride with you soon.

Welcome! There is plenty of sand available in Southern California. Lots of decent dual sport bikes out there, I have a DRZ400S that works pretty good at everything, just not great. The new KTM and Husqvarna 450's are great if you are looking for more of a dirt bike with lights and a plate, something to connect trails. Get out and see some of the bikes people are riding and get a good opinon for yourself. Hope to see you on the trail.

Welcome Freddy! Be sure to drop by SD BMW with your R1150GS.

PM with regard to gear, as I always seem to have too much in garage. Everbody has a fetish don't they??

I also have a DRZZ400S & love it. I just cart-wheeled it pretty good on the Des Dash & it looked & ran the same afterwards. Better than I can say for myself, but I'm almost healed up. Enought to ride anyway.

What are all your favorite bikes and why? I'd also like to hear input on riding apparel as I'll need some cooler gear or I'll die of heat. This would be for both offroad and for road.

/Fred

Welcome aboard, Fred!

It's great you have the big bike. There's a few of us here, our president included, who run some of the big stuff. If you buy a dual-sport, keep the GS or replace it with another beast. There's just something about the big bikes that's hard to explain unless you ride one. I was just invited to Baja by some friends who all ride KTM 525s, yet I can't stop thinking about bringing the KTM 950. Funny, since I also have a 525 :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I will definitely be keeping the GS even if - no strike that - WHEN I get another. Offroad its always fun to come up on a group riding much smaller bikes, with saddle bags, and sometimes camping gear. But you have to know your limitations. Its not a machine you're going to plant a foot with to make a recovery, but it is amazing what it can go over/through. The low CG on the boxers make it feel lighter than it is as long as its upright. On pavement, especially bumpy potholed backroads its a blast.

Look forward to meeting/riding with you all.

Anyone had experience with the Timbuktu Air Jacket or the Kilimanjaro Air or the Cortech GX Air for DS riding - or do you all wear full MX gear? A new jacket /pants will probably by first on my list.

I would say most of the rides I have been on have me in full MX gear, and so do many of the others...

Me: moto boots, knee pads, moto pants, jersey, chest protector, elbow pads, helmet goggles and gloves... padded jacket if cold enough.

On the V strom, i normally wear "adventure gear'... pants and jacket with foam "armor", full face w shield, leather gloves with hard knuckles, steel toed "'work boots" that are not riding specific, but i can walk around in them all day.

I went on a business trip to Oregon a while back (right after the Cedar Fire), and came to the conclusion Oregonians don't think too much of us... send back stories about how great we are down in SoCal!

I would say most of the rides I have been on have me in full MX gear, and so do many of the others...

Me: moto boots, knee pads, moto pants, jersey, chest protector, elbow pads, helmet goggles and gloves... padded jacket if cold enough.

On the V strom, i normally wear "adventure gear'... pants and jacket with foam "armor", full face w shield, leather gloves with hard knuckles, steel toed "'work boots" that are not riding specific, but i can walk around in them all day.

I went on a business trip to Oregon a while back (right after the Cedar Fire), and came to the conclusion Oregonians don't think too much of us... send back stories about how great we are down in SoCal!

Orgonians tend to really dislike Californias who take their equity up there & jack the real estate prices out of the reach of the average local. It screws their economy & quality of life up. That and when folks bring the bad SoCal tude up.

Over the years I've spent lots of time in Oregon riding and frankly the friends I've made are life long. I love the people, the relaxed attitude and appreciation of the outdoors. Having my bike break down outside of Portland last July was one of my nicest break-down experiences ever because of the quality of the people. I wasn't on the roadside for 2 minutes before some guys pulled up & asked if I were an Adventure Rider because I was loaded with camping gear etc on my GS Adventure. That & they just saw the biggest GS wheelie of their young lives. My hydraulic clutch failed, so if I stalled I had to start in neutral paddlle forward rev & drop it in first = Big Honking Wheelies!!!!!!! Especially with camp gear on the back!

I can't wait for the weather to get better up there so I can go see my friends. Just like they enjoy coming here & riding in the winter!! It's all good.

I have relatives that are native oregonians, and I LOVE the people up there... I just dont tell them i'm Californian...

anyway; Glad to have you here

Welcome Fred, hope to ride with you soon.......we have a lot of good people here, as well as many rides going on most of the time.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I will definitely be keeping the GS even if - no strike that - WHEN I get another. Offroad its always fun to come up on a group riding much smaller bikes, with saddle bags, and sometimes camping gear. But you have to know your limitations. Its not a machine you're going to plant a foot with to make a recovery, but it is amazing what it can go over/through. The low CG on the boxers make it feel lighter than it is as long as its upright. On pavement, especially bumpy potholed backroads its a blast.

Look forward to meeting/riding with you all.

Anyone had experience with the Timbuktu Air Jacket or the Kilimanjaro Air or the Cortech GX Air for DS riding - or do you all wear full MX gear? A new jacket /pants will probably by first on my list.

Welcome to Sunny/Hot SoCal

Fred, I think I talked with you last year over at Advrider. Yes keep the GS :unsure:

And Ive been very happy with the Kilimanjaro Air jacket (Motorcyclecloseouts.com). Lots of rides here start out when the weather is cool and by the end of the day very warm. Just zip the liner out and stash it and your set to go. Even though it's well vented, it's a little heavy/hot for summer months when temps hit well into the hundreds...so some other form of armor might be needed...

Seeyas

Spyder

OH! Id love to try your GS with the lower ratio!

OH! Id love to try your GS with the lower ratio!

Thanks again for the input -- I see in your tag line you also have an '00 GS but it no longer goes on the dirt!! For shame.

We might be able to do a bike swap (with your KTM) to try that out.

I guess the sh**ts setup was the 3.2:1 which makes it really snappy, but I've been pretty happy with the 3:1. That tall 6th is now much more usable, and the low gears are great. You can ride around just above idle in first and second and not abuse the clutch and still just goose it when you need to. Its also much better off the line (especially uphill either gear or a passenger) as these things were just plain geared too tall stock.

I just talked to the movers.... I'm pushing them to crate it for the move and they might do that separately ahead of the rest of the household goods. Whichever way it works out, within a month I'll have my bike.

/Fred

oh yeah -- what color is your GS? Mines the black one which we all know is faster.....