KTMrad

Rossi Comments on Too Many Gadgets for Moto GP Bikes

by dean adams

Monday, August 30, 2010

Outside of his motorhome last night at the Indianapolis MotoGP race, reigning world champion Valentino Rossi railed against electronic rider aides used in MotoGP. Rossi, in his signature machine-gun style of talking, said major steps need to be taken to curtail the control that the MotoGP's ECU has over the machine.

"I think this is a big problem for MotoGP," Rossi said, echoing statements made last week by Kenny Roberts Junior "because the races are very boring. So we lose our best card, especially compared to Formula One, because until 2006, with Michelin and Bridgestone, but 1000 engines, less electronics, f***, the races were unbelievable. So a lot, a lot of people stay (glued) with the television, because you know that for sure MotoGP will be a great excitement."

"When Bridgestone arrive, 800 arrive, and this amount electronic arrive, make these race very, very boring. So is like sleeping, like with Formula One. So I hope that they have (this in mind). Not for next year, because for next year (the rules are) the same, but for 2012, when they have to make new rules for the 1000, take out some electronic, take out some anti-wheelie, take out some anti-spin."

Rossi remains the most powerful voice in MotoGP racing and his opinions carry huge weight in Barcelona.

"The people want to see the bike that ...wheelieing, make slide," he said. "(Racing now) is like the remote control, no? The rider cannot make any more difference. On the last lap, if you have 1.5 second or two second, you remain with 1.5 or two second. Maybe you gain 0.5. But before, you gain 0.5 in two laps, when you are in a good shape with good setting. Now, is like everybody the same, because all the acceleration, all the anti-wheelie, is control from the bike."

"So I hope for fix this problem ...its not enough just (increase capacity to )1000. The problem is the electronic."

There is no doubt that Rossi knows the problem. I think many spectators have been acknowledging the same issue with all of the traction control and what it has done to racing since 2007 or so. The rider is less of the equation and the electronics and setup are all that is left. The riding in the 500 GP races was excellent and the skills it took to keep the bike going and not high side were spectacular.

im with him...i think the races are still good but no where near as exciting as the old 500 2t days, it was like fitting, or riding a bull now its just like riding a race horse, whoever times it right, doesnt push his horse to soon (or tires) wins the race....before it was about managing the throttle, too little and you got passed, a glitch too much, and spin up that rear into a high side....all that is gone with trac control

I agree! Let me tell you about my disappointment in 2004, when I decided to drag race in the Summit series on an "old school" GS 750 at Barona. I had drag raced motorcycles in the 70's, but did not keep up with the "trends".

Don't even get me started about what I heard about the cars electronics.

I was very surprised to see how "electronics" had taken over in drag racing, even on motorcycles. It is no longer man and machine. I gave it my best that year (my 50th), and ended up 2nd place overall in point standings, with no electronics, so I was pretty happy.

Bummer though, about how electronics have invaded the racing scene all over. Makes all the champions of the past, really champions!

In my opinion, electronics have invaded everything.

For example, how many people actually plan a route on their own using maps, without GPS and/or using someone else's route, and go riding without the aide of a GPS ? Then they call it an "Adventure Ride".

The Adventure has been take out of Adventure Riding.

It just seems to be the new generation of things.

...actually plan a route on their own using maps, without GPS...

That's how I roll. The best rides I've done were planned at home from various sources and laid out on Google Earth and then loaded to GPS. In fact the most fun I've had on Desert Dash rides was with just a roll chart and the crappy maps (sorry rad, nice maps, but copies of maps).

I dislike anything that takes the human factor out of the equation. I don't drive cars with automatics, can't stand the thought of an autoclutch (Rekluse) on my motorcycle. I have cars with anti lock brakes and thankfully have only had to use them once in a snow storm, but have had them interupt me at times I felt it was unnecessary. I don't have vehicles with electronic stability or other countermeasures, but have driven them and don't like the intervention. I hate padal shifters, traction and stability control for F1 and their counterparts in motoGP. I thought racing was more exciting when the major manufacturers were rolling out one-off "prototypes" works bikes or selling 50 cars to make it legal to race in a particular series.

I agree with Rossi, give the riders the best machine available. Build the bikes powerful, strong and light. Keep the anti-lock/skid/slip/spin for the street legal models that sell to people that have more money than talent.

you forgot one.....do you use autopilot while flying?

Yes, all the time. Mostly in cuise. Although I find aircraft automation to be a different animal than terrestrial based travel. A degree of automation is required to maintain control of many aircraft. Basicly a 50,000+# machine doesn't respond like a 500# machine. From my experience take offs, departures, visual approaches, and landings and many other times I prefer to hand fly with minimal computer intervention.

It's like driving with the GPS nav. You plug it in and it tells you how to get there. People use them so much they don't learn how to get anywhere without them. Even in their own neighborhoods.

I've been on plenty of rides with a GPS and a map and was still lost. You guys just don't have the Luddite magic it takes to make navigating your way to the bathroom an adventure. :coolio:

I haven't kept up on the electronics invasion in racing but if it's taking the rider out of the equation...not good. Of course...where to draw the line...were there complaints when fuel injection came in?

Humorous that some commenting ride twin cylinder, fuel injected, water cooled bikes with outstanding suspension, hp to the moon and weigh nothing compared to less technilogically advanced bikes. I agree the Rekluse takes some of the "sport" out of the equation and requires less skill on the technical sections but so does 13 inches of travel.

From a guy who doesn't even have a text friendly phone, let alone any "apps".... :)

I have a compass mounted to my handlebars, not a GPS. Simple as that. Don, can I photocopy that map??

Don is reading this and cracking up

as somebody already alluded to: Technology is ABOUT making it easier. The dual sport bikes we ride all have huge advances over the race bikes of 30 years ago; except in power maybe

46mm forks, 50 hp engines, 13" of travel, electric start, rekluse clutches, EFI, CDI, 12" of ground clearance, GPS, bike to bike radios, ... how many of these do YOU have and how many are you willing to give up on your current ride?

now... gp racing... different animal; go back to the Doohan Days... HE was the one that could make those monsters behave (with a long and painful learning curve I would add) That is why he ended up being a champion. He figured them out (with his mechanics) So he dominated... racing has always been about the racer and his machine. Rossi WANTS the bikes harder to ride; that was to his advantage. He's right though; it was better racing before, with big darkies coming out of a turn, conserving tires, etc. Now it's all decided with a computer.

We are all turning into Zenosan, as he has repeatedly warned we would... "young whippersnappers! WHO NEEDS technology ANYWAY? gET OFF MY LAWN!

I agree and disagree...i do not even own a gps, neither does my wife or daughter. When planning my "possible" cross country ride back from so. carolina after picking up my new {to me} BMW...{which is off, just gonna ship it now} it was ALL paper maps and atlas' and the human adventure factor.

I am NOT into electronic gizmos really, i still prefer my 35mm film camera, it is just too hard to up load, or is it down load, them to a website so i use a digi now...when dogs dont break them...

I love "mechanical" advancement...it is inevitable. Zens happy with his older style bikes, thats great for him, but it is NOT for me. Zen why dont you still ride a horse or a donkey? You like advancement TOO in mechanical things...you just like the mechanical advancements from YOUR day. Which is FINE, it is what you are comfortable with.

Better suspension and higher performance engines are awesome and a natural progression, better tires, lighter materials and other improvements dont change the need for human control of said technology.

Electronic traction control, stability control, tire management programs, and gps programmed digital power programs DO take much of the human element out of racing and i DONT like that stuff.

I see the need and inevitably of even electronic improvements...but i dont have to like them..

Just my $0.02

Oh great, i just pissed off another person....

No implication of Don being older than internal combustion... just that when he was in his prime, 20s-30s was likely during the 70s-80s and that is the tech he is the most comfy with. If he really was not NOT into some kind of technology, he would ride a horse, or a '28 indian flat head with absolutely NO suspension and minimal engine performance. BUT, since he rides 70s and 80s bikes he OBVIOUSLY likes at least that modern level of technology which is WAY higher tech than a '59 triumph which WAS the dirt bike of ITS day...

I PERSONALLY like modern "mechanical" technology...but not as comfy with digital/electronic tech...it takes out the human input much more than just a higher performance motor.

The argument could be made that the higher the peformance a motor is the HARDER it is to control and thus REQUIRES more human skill to manage and control and thus the BEST rider at that time would be the guy who wins....see mick doohan...

That same 1988-95ish honda NS500 with today electronic management would be much easier to ride and just level the playing field quite a bit and put guys with potentially less skill than say mick d. in the mix undeservedly..

I think that is Rossi's point....he knows he has the skill to manage whatever bike they put under him, where maybe some of the guys he is battling with may NOT be able to compete against him if the took away all of the electronic management...

what the helikers do i know though....