dirt dame

You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Harvey Mushman himself.

That was awesome,,, good ol Harvey

This is my all time favorite Honda commercial. The star of this should need no introduction.

Yes that was a good one. Notice that a vintage suspension didn't slow down a good rider on the whoops. It is all in the knees and elbows folks.

Also-if you look closely, in the opening shot of him putting on his shirt his REAL Favorite ride (Husqvarna with the red tank) is visible in the background.

It is in the back of his truck.

funny the signature didnt read Harvey Mushman.

nice post,,,dang i am old, remember them as new.....rode the model year shown or close to it(73/4 or 5?) of the Honda CR125 when it was brand new, friend had a new one and it scared the living &*%^ out of me. I stuck with my DS bike, I guess that is what it was,,,a Honda CB100 with "knobbies" and home made handguards (leather!!), was good as a flattracker in the farmers fields and dirt roads but did not take bumps very well!!Local guys were even MXing step through Hondas at that time and just thrashing them, Honda's were everywhere in those days,,,but me and my friends were not the nicest people you'd meet on Hondas, I would rate us as just ok.....mostly a bunch of idiot boys.Ha

Couple observations:

If Bruce Brown didn't direct that, they own him a royalty. Very much Brown's style.

Look at the on-cycle camera shots, and keep in mind they're shooting film, not video. That means a GREAT BIG camera that's very heavy. Pioneered by John Frankenheimer in the movie Gran Prix of the same vintage. And if you've not seen THAT movie, well, we can't be friends. And if you watched a non-letterboxed (black bars top and bottom) edition, I'm afraid we can't even speak to each other. A master. Then watch Ronin and watch the master in a contemporary setting.

Look at the perfectly smooth heli shots. All gyro stabilized, and play back the final shot again. One take from medium shot to wide aerial. No zoom.

Each shot is lit very nicely- I'd be interested to know how many days they shot on that location. There are only so many sunrises and sunsets in a day (the number is fixed) but many of the segments are at the perfect time.

Were are they?

They didn't have too many days to shoot because the desert would have dried out and become dusty. They had to run out there right after a storm front went through to get the footage they got. How many times can we count on a storm to dump on the Mojave during a winter season? And yes, I'm sure it was no accident that there was the "on Any Sunday" feel to the whole thing.

Bumped for Bikeslut

Harvey Mushman himself.

That was awesome,,, good ol Harvey

This is my all time favorite Honda commercial. The star of this should need no introduction.

Just watched this........man, the Good Ole Days.....open deserts, no constantly facing and fighting land closures, great riding.

ok... this one is a little more serious... an XRL250 will not do this... I don't care WHO is riding it

awesome bikes for their day...

the forks were noodles..thats whay all of the wheelies...cant keep the front wheel on the ground and go fast over or thru anything...

took me along time to get used to inverted forks and being able to land on the front wheel with the throttle pinned or staying up over the bars and on the gas thru whoops the size of 55 gal. drums...

on older bikes you could go fast thru that stuff but you had to carry the front wheel as much as possible and land every jump on the rear and ease the front down with the throttle controlled...

watch that video or the movie on any sunday {my all time favorite movie} then compare their speeds to "day in the dirt" or any footage of johnny campbell or mouse mccoy or other baja racers today and the modern suspension is way faster out in the desert...

not knocking older bikes at all...i loved every bike i ever owned even my triumph tiger cub 200 "dirt bike" but my newer bikes are incredible...older bikes cornered better being lower to the ground, but the wheel travel is worth it to me

btw my guess on where that is...i think that is out by desert hot springs...that used to be the hot spot like ocotillo wells or glamis is now....

not enough rocks to be high desert and too many yucca/joshua trees to OW...they used to actually let us ride out near palm springs and desert hot springs....way back when

Harvey Mushman himself.

Great stuff he really was a great rider, and you gotta love that Red Mtn riding, I test rode a 125 Elsie through downtown Manila PI in 1974 what a rush dude was pissed that I didn't buy it.