Andrew

New guy in the college area

Hi. My name is Andrew. I don't have a dual sport bike yet, but I have been riding motorcycles for 15 years and currently am the proud owner of a 1969 Triumph Daytona. I have come here looking to get into dual sport riding since we live in such a great area for it. Mainly here looking for advice and some people to go riding with.

Thanks

advice? Buy something with knobbies and a plate.... the cheaper the better (as long as it is mechanically sound)

ride it; ride with us; decide what type of ride YOU like, then ask for some more opinions. This weekend; there is a big bike ride, with some slab and some dirt roads... I also hope to do a trail ride with black diamond trails... two extremes of dual sport rides... the DRZ will do both adequately... most bikes will be better at one or the other

welcome to the club; let us know when you are ready to ride...

If I post a newb friendly ride sometime, invite yourself along, whether you have a bike or not... I have extra

Welcome aboard. Hope you get a bike soon and we get to see you out on a ride.ride.gif

Thanks everyone. I'm ready and have been looking for a good first dual sport. I've been looking on CL and am about to look here. My only criteria for a first bike is that it be street legal, and 350cc's or over preferrably. I am limiting myself to spending $1000 for this bike. I'm not particular towards one bike or another, I'd like something I'd be able to ride about 12 miles each way to work on surface streets a couple of times a week. My only concern is my short legs. I'm 5'11" with a 29 inch inseam. I'd like to find a bike asap, but I'm also not going to buy a bike just to buy a bike. I like that DRZ, but it's just a touch too spendy for me and I'm somewhat concerned about the height since I'm used to fairly low bikes. If anyone knows of anything or has a recommendation, shoot a message my way.

Thanks

Keep in mind things can be lowered. Only a few here fit "comfortably' on the high rise bikes we ride. My son, at 5'6" rides a lowered DRZ400 (thx to Joliet for the links and guidance) so look also at the bikes ability to go lower during your hunt.

at 350cc+, you won't get much lower, especially for a grand...

You MAY find something for less, but it'll be less bike

an older DR350 is a great bike to look at; I know that was the bike that got lots of us started

also; older XR400s are an option, or XR350s/250s

Once you decide to dual sport (if you're like me), you get rid of the street bikes, get rid of the sport bikes, get rid of the mountain bikes, etc. It makes it really easy to justify a better DS

I'm 5'11" with a 29 inch inseam.

Welcome to the club :) I'm in the same boat, except I'm only 5'10". I feel your pain.

Welcome to the group..You're in the right place for dual sporting....

ps: I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam ..can be a challenge with dirt bikes, but certainly workable.....I've only been riding 2 years.....if I can do it, I'm sure you can find a great suitable ride.....

Welcome, Lots of used bikes out there that will suit you. Just watch Craigslist.