KTMrad

More ADV Bike Discussion - Big v. Small

Crawdady,

Does your WR run like this one?

Lendon

Hi Lendon.....you betcha.......bang the throttle hard and you can run it like an mx bike.......then pimp down the highway on your ADV bike when you're done.....I saw that video before I bought the bike......

How's that KTM 400 working out? Man, that was a smokin' deal you hooked.....

Well its a work in progress. It is slow, really slow, feels like a XR400 with a clogged up air filter. But it will get me from point A to B, and I have race bikes, so I will just take it easy and enjoy the ride.

When funds allow, would like to convert it to a 620, or in a perfect world, a new Husky 510!

Crawdady,

Does your WR run like this one?

Lendon

Hi Lendon.....you betcha.......bang the throttle hard and you can run it like an mx bike.......then pimp down the highway on your ADV bike when you're done.....I saw that video before I bought the bike......

How's that KTM 400 working out? Man, that was a smokin' deal you hooked.....

Lendon, not to hi jack the thread...but is your ktm 400 an Lc4 motor?

if it is, it is not that they are so much slow, just that they have a really heavy flywheel and crank assembly, so the motor takes alot to get wound up.

Mine actually made me a better rider because i had to learn how to ride carrying alot more momentum thru everything....it is a good bike overall, but yes feels sluggish on HP. a 620 on the other hand is a monster on power, maybe too much in some ways. They feel alot heavier even tho they are not really.

there was a Euro version of that bike that was a 540cc. I heard that it was just the piston and barrel that was different for the bigger displacement, may be hard to find here in the states but it would be a nice mix of power but not too big...i will look around and see if i can find out more info.

when i bought my 2000 ktm 400 sxc with the Lc4 motor it came with a manual that had both models in it the 400 and 540.

Yeah, its a 1998 400 Lc4. Bike is really good shape, looks great, and I only paid 1300 for it.Yeah I knew it was "Old School", but after years of riding the new style 4 strokes, it is shocking how different they run. But I am 6'4" and I like the physical size of the bike.

The bike was decked out with all the necessary accessories already, so all I need to do is set up the suspension with some stiffer springs and build myself a good seat for it.

Lendon aka-Bundy

Lendon, not to hi jack the thread...but is your ktm 400 an Lc4 motor?

if it is, it is not that they are so much slow, just that they have a really heavy flywheel and crank assembly, so the motor takes alot to get wound up.

Mine actually made me a better rider because i had to learn how to ride carrying alot more momentum thru everything....it is a good bike overall, but yes feels sluggish on HP. a 620 on the other hand is a monster on power, maybe too much in some ways. They feel alot heavier even tho they are not really.

there was a Euro version of that bike that was a 540cc. I heard that it was just the piston and barrel that was different for the bigger displacement, may be hard to find here in the states but it would be a nice mix of power but not too big...i will look around and see if i can find out more info.

when i bought my 2000 ktm 400 sxc with the Lc4 motor it came with a manual that had both models in it the 400 and 540.

its a great bike for 1300 bucks...and maybe you can find the 540 kit that would be a nice middle sized motor for that bike, and if all it was is a cylinder and piston...would be pretty cheap and easy.

Taking the WR250R on a ~200 mile ADV spin tomorrow morning :coolio: ........riding a mix of off-road/on-road between Ramona and Blythe.......which fits the mission statement of the WR250R nicely.......I bought the bike with long/mixed terrain rides like this in mind.... :smile_anim:

Jarrett left Altus Air Force Base in Altus, OK. this morning.......put him up in a motel in Flagstaff tonight.......long day of driving for the boy........we'll load the WR250R up in his truck in Blythe then drive back together.......figured it would be nice to get some one on one time with him before we surprise the rest of the family with his unannounced arrival tomorrow night :friends: (sssssssshhhhhhhhhhm it's a secret :rolleyes::lol: .........last time we saw him was when he graduated from basic in February).......he'll be here for a couple of weeks then he has to drive to Scott Air Force base just outside of St. Louis in mid Oct.....that'll be his home for the next 3 years (minimum) but they already told him his refueling squadron is scheduled to be deployed to the greater Trashcanistan territories in Jan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Udeid_Air_Base, Qatar)

Big Dog and Dingweed just wrapped up their AWESOME trip report - 27 days, 5,300 miles......2 WR250Rs.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612543

(Dave/Steve/Todd........you'll love this report)

Another BigDog/Dingweed trip in the books........the boys just logged ~7,000 miles on the bikes riding to Alaska and back......wish I had more time to ride <_<

Still doesn't convince me that a 250 is a fun Adventure Bike to cover hundreds of miles on.

And another thing....the WR250 weighs close to what a DRZ400 weighs (only about 19 pounds difference), so DRZ400 would be my choice between the 2, if I was using a small bike as an ADV bike.

But that's just me.

Still doesn't convince me that a 250 is a fun Adventure Bike to cover hundreds of miles on.

And another thing....the WR250 weighs close to what a DRZ400 weighs (only about 19 pounds difference), so DRZ400 would be my choice between the 2, if I was using a small bike as an ADV bike.

But that's just me.

Not looking to convince anyone......different strokes....... :coolio:

But that's just me.

and, what I've heard, from people that have ridden both: the WR FEELS 50 pounds lighter, due to mass centralization and less flywheel effect... it also has a 6 speed, which is a HUGE drawback to me on the DRZ... I have to swap sprockets to go between singletrack and freeway... which means chains too...

just converted my DRZ back to freeway duty again yesterday... I CAN do some trails, but not real hard stuff

If I were to buy a new "dirty" dual sport, I would look seriously at the WR... But I guarantee, I'm not riding 1500 miles on it for one trip; that's nucking futs

If I were to buy a new "dirty" dual sport, I would look seriously at the WR... But I guarantee, I'm not riding 1500 miles on it for one trip; that's nucking futs

Two guys from ADVRider just finished up a 6 day/~1500 tour of Idaho on their.....wait for it.......WR250Rs

I wouldn't hesitate to ride my WR on an extended trip for thousands of miles.....low maintenace street bike engine in a dirt bike frame......a compromise to be sure.....but nice to be able to stop, drop bags, and ride.....A _ _ _ _ _ _ _ along the way :heh:

Guest Crusty

Two guys from ADVRider just finished up a 6 day/~1500 tour of Idaho on their.....wait for it.......WR250Rs

(/quote) Crawdaddy

" low maintenace street bike engine in a dirt bike frame."

Doesn't have to be a small bike though! (DRZ,XR,KLR.)

Doesn't have to be a small bike though! (DRZ,XR,KLR.)[/size][/color]

True, but "I'd" take the fuel injected/6 speed WR over a DRZ, XR, KLR in a heartbeat.....

Doesn't have to be a small bike though! (DRZ,XR,KLR.)[/size][/color]

True, but "I'd" take the fuel injected/6 speed WR over a DRZ, XR, KLR in a heartbeat.....

Yeah, I think we already know that :rolleyes:

Of course, it was a four day trip for bikes a man would ride.

Guest Crusty

I would love to agree with you, but I would probably get BANNED for that.heh.gif

Coffee on keyboard.heh.gifheh.gif

Golly, That video was rather emotional. I kind of teared up...

WHATEVER :wacko:

Many on this board haven't ridden that kind of mileage in consecutive days on ANY SIZE BIKE (I have on the WR250R - KOTW last Fall)

Some will never "get" the less is more mentality....that's fine, park your pig and head to the bar while I go ride :rolleyes::coolio:

Many on this board haven't ridden that kind of mileage in consecutive days on ANY SIZE BIKE (I have on the WR250R - KOTW last Fall)

Some will never "get" the less is more mentality....that's fine, park your pig and head to the bar while I go ride :rolleyes::coolio:

Talk about getting defensive :lol::blink:

Small bike syndrome. :heh:

Just stating the facts......I can ride in places where pigs wallow but can't follow.......