CATwrench

Desert camping/riding?

Was hoping some of you guys could recommend some good anza/far east county spots for camping/riding that are off limits to the toyhauler masses. Been to Ocotillo 3x and Mojave 1x since I got my bike last month (both are great but I might as well have bought a CR500). Was looking at agua caliente for the pools but my co-pilot (labrador retriever) is not welcome there and have heard it's crowded as well. Also was thinking los coyotes but I've only heard of jeepin' there. Have a good 4x w/a callen camper but bathrooms and showers would still be nice for the girls. Was hopin' to go out this weekend, any recommendations for quiet places w/facilities???-thanks

Butterfield Ranch was a really great place last weekend, they welcomed the motorcyclists as if we were family. Lots of great riding in the area as evidenced by the numerous posts about the Desert Dash.

I'll be heading back with my wife,kids and dogs to enjoy the hospitality. Good price for full hookups too.

Oriflame canyon is 2.4 miles on the pavement. Once there you can do quite a bit of riding off road. Ken

How far of a ride til' you hit dirt?

From Butterfield Ranch, you turn north on S2, and about 2 mile up is the turnoff (left) for Oriflamme Canyon, which takes you out to 78 Banner Grade by the Banner Store.

From Butt. Ranch, if you go about 5 miles north on S2 you can turn right for the Blair Valley Loop.

From Butt. Ranch, if you go about 8 miles north on S2, you turn right at the Pinyon Mountain sign which will lead you to the Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill, Fish Creek to Ocotillo Wells. Then there's many choices to go back thru Anza Borrego to get to Butterfield Ranch.

From Butt. Ranch, if you turn south on S2, the first dirt canyons are accessible from Vallecito Creek Wash. The Mudcaves are down there, and you can go thru Arroyo Seco Del Diablo to take you to Fish Creek and Ocotillo Wells.

Or, from Vallecito Creek, you can head south thru Canyon Sin Nombre and ride mostly dirt to get to Ocotillo by Interstate 8 and then to Plaster City and Superstition.

All trails thru Anza Borrego State Park are for Street Legal Vehicles Only.

You need to get yourself the Anza Borrego Desert Region map, by Earthwalk Press.....it's the best one for the area. Also, get the BLM WECO Map for the Ocotillo, Plaster City and Superstition area trails.

There is another campground on S2 in Shelter Valley where we held the 2nd Desert Dash, it is nice also, a little more expensive. It's about a 1/4 mile north on S2 from the dirt turnoff for the Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill. For the DD, we like Butterfield Ranch better.

Hope this helps !!

Butterfield is the place to be. My wife and I were so impressed with the campground, facilities, hosts, etc. that we will be heading back there soon.

We had been camping (and racing) at Plaster City, and find that area to be a lot less "quadtarded" than O.Wells or the dunes. Seems more family oriented, but open to the entire off road community (and dry camping only).

Thanks for the response, Butterfield sounds like a great place to start. We'll be out there this weekend if anyone wants to show us how it's done :D . Any recommended spots for tenters?

Thanks for the response, Butterfield sounds like a great place to start. We'll be out there this weekend if anyone wants to show us how it's done :D . Any recommended spots for tenters?

They have tent spaces at Butterfield Ranch also.

If you're looking for primitive tent spots, I recommend the Blair Valley area on S2. There are other, small primitive camp spots all along Hwy. S2, which are all shown on the Desert Map mentioned in previous post.

With facilities....Tamarisk Grove is a nice State Park campground with bathrooms, at the intersection of Yaqui Pass Rd. and Hwy. 78. Palm Canyon State Park campground with facilities, in Borrego Springs.

Butterfield Ranch was a really great place last weekend, they welcomed the motorcyclists as if we were family. I'll be heading back with my wife and dogs to enjoy the hospitality. Good price for full hookups too.

Plus two for Butterfield Resort.

Pools and Jacuzzi were heated and inviting also. Just no time to get in.... Everyone was nice and "laid back'. We will be going back soon. Hope it's like that all the time. Thanks to the SDAR folks.

Spyder

PS

Bring your own fire ring if you have one. There are only a few scattered thru the campground.

Another +++ for Butterfield. I am impressed with the place and am already planning on going back with my family. A general camp store, pools, jaccuzzi, play fielld, BB court, hot showers.......

Guest Hammerin Hammon

My wife and I were talking about taking our kids their and staying in a cabin for 4 days or more. I want to re -ride the courses, but ride about 60 to 100 miles a day so I can spend more quality time at Butterfield ranch. I think I will post this in informal rides it would be nice to hang out and ride with other families at the ranch.

I want to re-ride the courses. But ride about 60 to 100 MPH so I can get back quicker and spend more quality time at butterfield ranch.

Fixed your quote... ;)

Renting a cabin sounds like a good idea. Was a decent place to basecamp.

Butterfield is the place to be. My wife and I were so impressed with the campground, facilities, hosts, etc. that we will be heading back there soon.

We had been camping (and racing) at Plaster City, and find that area to be a lot less "quadtarded" than O.Wells or the dunes. Seems more family oriented, but open to the entire off road community (and dry camping only).

Did you say "QUAD-TARDED" ;)