Sign in to follow this  
baldbeemer

SEAT CONCEPTS

While browsing on thumpertalk, I found this THREAD

It had some pretty good feedback on a new local company (Hemet) that seems to have a good product for reasonable prices. Anyone here have one of their seeas? They currently only offer seats for DRZ's, but have other bikes coming soon. I'm seriously considering their low seat for the Mistress' DRZ.

Here's their web site..... CLICK

Thanks, always good to know, have to see what else they offer....all my bikes now have customized seats....(a skill I had to learn and a must when you're 5'4" and want to ride dirt bikes.. :lol: ) ....I just installed and shaved down my soft seat on the ktm with GUTZ soft foam on the stock pan. Here's their link if you want to look at choices:

http://www.gutsracing.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1516

...huge difference...ktm stock seats are like a board......(don't understand why they do that, but I guess it helps out all those after market seat and foam companies....)

ktm puts hard seats on their bikes because their focus is a bit more of agressive riding than many other brands of DS bikes. many ds bikes from the japanese brands are set to ride more on the street and even commute on.

when you are riding on a track lets say, you dont want to squish into a seat that is soft because that will make it harder to move forward for the corners and backwards for the whoops and seat bounces.

a motocross seat needs to be narrow and hard to icrease your mobility on the bike. An adventure bike that you will ride for long distances with long blacktop sections and mostly sitting down you will want a seat like pillowy barkolounger recliner.

for ds riding a seat will need to be tailored to your own riding style and terrain choices. DS is one of the broadest catagories of riding.

MX is MX, touring is touring, road racing is road racing, but DS is anything from riding your barely legal plated mx bike to the mx track and turning laps and riding home....to commuting to work on your 500lb twin cylinder adv bike with a cut thru a fire road along the way.

DS is so vastly differing from person to person it would be impossible to build a perfect ds bike that would fill everyones needs. Similar with ds seats....ktm goes toward hard and uncomfortable seats for aggressive riding mobility, some other bikes will go with softer more plush seats for longer seated riding....

ktm seats are VERY hard even for track type riding though i will agree with that...see now i sound like some idiot ktm snob....not meaning any of this that way B)

hoof-in-mouth disease :party:

Somebuddy should tell Suzuki hand hewn teakwood is cool, just not on a DR650. My foam awaits. I did notice it was easier to slide around on the track last time though... B)

It's actually one of the most common complaints from ADV for those who do some distance on the bike.

Hey kelly, thanks for the explanation :) . I'm always wanting to learn more, and that makes sense....and yes, dual sporting is so varied....one reason it is so awesome, and brings such a variety of characters to a site like this :lol: ...which keeps it interesting...don't ya think?..

I know of a local guy in San Diego who does seats, and will be getting his number from my friend.

I made contact with these guys......I'm going to be the "Test Rider" for their new "Anywhere" seat (AKA - WR250R seat :lol: )........they haven't finished up the mold so it'll be a few weeks....

I've never know anyone that likes the stock KTM seat. I wonder why these guys wound not make a seat for KTM as one of their 1st products. Most of the model seats in any given year are interchangable so it's not like they would need to make 10 different seats for the off road bikes. I have 3 different seats for my KTM and switch them depending on where and how long the rides are. If someone make a great seat for multi-day 1K plus mile rides I would sure like to buy it.

Chris

I've never know anyone that likes the stock KTM seat. I wonder why these guys wound not make a seat for KTM as one of their 1st products. Most of the model seats in any given year are interchangable so it's not like they would need to make 10 different seats for the off road bikes. I have 3 different seats for my KTM and switch them depending on where and how long the rides are. If someone make a great seat for multi-day 1K plus mile rides I would sure like to buy it.

Chris

XPC seats in lake elsinore makes great seats ands have them ready to build to your specs. you can send them your seat pan to rebuild it to your specs, or they have pans in stock for ktm's and i think a few other brands that they will build to your spec so you can have 2 seats.

they build alot of seats out of suede which is a hot ticket for long haul rides. less chaping with suede over vinyl.

local for me...and really nice stuff

i dont hate my ktm hard seat for aggressive track, single track, or desert stuff, but DS stuff where im sitting more it absolutely sucks

Also can find a variety of replacement seats here: http://www1.enduroeng.com/Home.html

I happened to pick the year (2003) that ktm changed the seat, so it's kind of "specialized" from most other years. I ordered the soft foam from GUTZ (about $60) and installed, then shaved it down on the stock pan...You CAN get Tall soft seats from enduro complete....I'm planning on getting one for my son to use ( He's 5'9" and doesn't need the "lower profile" saddle I've shaped my foam into to reach the ground a bit better...)

that is a great and affordable way to go is the gutz or EE seats. but they are still a one size fits all set up, or you have to shave it down and hope you get it right.

the XPC seats are a full custom made seat to your height, weight, and inseam that also take into account your type of intended uses.

they are pricey but really nice and i think worth the money if you really hate your seat. they can do any seat if you bring in your seat pan.

thay widen the rump are which is a big need on many DS bike like a ktm or wrr. they use multiple density's of foam to give you the support you need but also the plushness to be comfy....nice stuff

The WR250R seat is sceduled for completion on Tuesday and Robert (owner of Seat Concepts) is allowing me to pick it up from him on my way up to Mammoth Thursday afternoon......then I'll write up a ride report AND a seat test review/report when we return......very nice of Robert to let me "test it" for the weekend.....

The WR250R seat is sceduled for completion on Tuesday and Robert (owner of Seat Concepts) is allowing me to pick it up from him on my way up to Mammoth Thursday afternoon......then I'll write up a ride report AND a seat test review/report when we return......very nice of Robert to let me "test it" for the weekend.....

Seat completed yesterday........significantly lower in price than Corbin/Renazco/XPC.......picking it up tomorrow on our way to Mammoth for ~250 mile "demo" :rolleyes: .......Robert sent me the below pic earlier this evening.........looks good.......flatter/wider........we shall see ;):) ........

Seatconcepts.jpg

Waiting for the review.....especially since they have a DR650 set up in the works. Looks similar in layout to the Sargent seat which I have on the Strom.....very comfortable. And $150 is a lot more budget friendly.

Hey Crawdaddy, you riding up to Mammoth on your "Adventure Bike" ?

That would be the ultimate test for the seat.

Hey Crawdaddy, you riding up to Mammoth on your "Adventure Bike" ?

That would be the ultimate test for the seat.

I've slabbed it to Mammoth before........BORING.....gave up on that years ago.....Christine and I used to throw both Sport Bikes in the truck, unload in Mammoth, and set out for the sierra traverses (120/108/4/50/etc.)........the good paved roads start once you get to Mammoth.......I'm sure you could take a creative way to get there on an ADV bike but I don't have the free time.......it'll still get a ~300(?) mile workout this weekend........the Sunday/Bodie loop will be ~180 miles in and of itself.......that'll be telling.......

I've slabbed it to Mammoth before........BORING.....gave up on that years ago.....Christine and I used to throw both Sport Bikes in the truck, unload in Mammoth, and set out for the sierra traverses (120/108/4/50/etc.)........the good paved roads start once you get to Mammoth.......I'm sure you could take a creative way to get there on an ADV bike but I don't have the free time.......it'll still get a ~300(?) mile workout this weekend........the Sunday/Bodie loop will be ~180 miles in and of itself.......that'll be telling.......

Boring ?? A ride to the Sierra is never boring, even if you go up the 395.....(might be boring on a little 250 though :lol: )

Anyway, if some of you have never been up there, on the way to Devil's Postpile, is a dirt road to San Joaquin Ridge........SPECTACULAR 360 degree view up there.....LINK TO View Here

Boring ?? A ride to the Sierra is never boring, even if you go up the 395

To each his own......to "me", the San Diego to Bishop leg is flat/straight/......BORING.......gets a tad better between Bishop and Mammoth.......but yes, even 395 is sweet after Mammoth......regardless, nice to be up in clean air with empty highways.....

Joaquin Ridge is one of the view tracks in our GPS file.........but we have so much other good stuff we may not even hit it :o;):)

Ok, review of Seat Concepts seat

Seatconcepts.jpg

seats.jpg

As you can see from the pic, it's wider/flatter than stock......this translates to greater comfort on the slightly denser/2 layer foam.......you sink in a tad at first but then it firms up.......and when you're not riding hard you just slide yourself back a ways on the wider part of the seat to relax your buns......I just covered 400+ miles and no monkey butt......that pretty much says it all.......

I haven't tested any other seats so I have nothing but stock to compare against it.......I will note that I've owned a few Corbins on various road bikes and they're HEAVY.......the girl bike already weighs enough, not looking to add weight........I've also owned Renazco seats and they're GREAT......but I wasn't interested in a 4 month wait and another ~$350+.......XPC is in the same bracket......they look like really nice seats, but I can't justify ~$350 for a seat using my pan.....

Robert/Lendon are good folks and fellow riders......a good product at a reasonable price.......you can order the foam/seat for ~$160 and staple it on your pan or send them your pan and add $20 for them to attach it for you.......

I have no vested interest in this new outfit......just throwing out my $.02......please visit their website for details on pricing, etc. on seats for other bikes.......they're just getting started and making up more and more templates....

http://seatconcepts.com/

Pic of bike/seat taken on Joaquin Ridge this past weekend.......nice views at 10,200'.....Minerets in the distance

Picture106.jpg

Quick question Chris.

Do you think the seat lowered the overall seat height of the bike?

Quick question Chris.

Do you think the seat lowered the overall seat height of the bike?

Not noticeably.......if I were to have one custom made I'd probably ask for that......as well as carbon vinyl on top (I prefer the carbon vinyl vs. the gripper vinyl......I like to be able to slide around a bit.....but that's just me.....most folks prefer the gripper)

I bought a low profile seat from Seat Concepts for my DRZ400 a few weeks ago. It is not as comfortable as the regular seat but seems reasonable. I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet rather than the toes which is very nice. I am going to replace the 1/2" rubber pads between the seat and the frame with the 1/4" pads. Every bit counts for those of us who are inseam challenged. I'll do a seat report after the Big Bear ride next month.

The guys at Seat Concepts were very accommodating. They want feedback so they can improve the product. It's nice to work with people like that.

My new " Seat Concepts " seat is on its way. Anything is better than stock. Ordered it 8-25-10. Evaluation coming.

do you know if the offer the seat cover in suede?

suede is suppossed to be the ticket for long rides, great comfort, less chapping/chffing, and less sweating.

think of bike shorts which use a sheepskin chamioe to do the same effect....i want a suede seat on a bike next.

do you know if the offer the seat cover in suede?

suede is suppossed to be the ticket for long rides, great comfort, less chapping/chffing, and less sweating.

think of bike shorts which use a sheepskin chamioe to do the same effect....i want a suede seat on a bike next.

Howabout aligator or stingray?? just effin withya, have had these on past harleys.