I showed up right around noon, but Beezz and Wonderwoman had forgotten some stuff and had run over to the store for some more supplies for their barbecue. In other words, they were running a bit late. I know that Beezz posted this as a slacker ride, so not to be outdone by anybody (just in case somebody is keeping score), I wore a Hawaiian style floral print shirt and an open face Bell RT helmet. I also didn't carry any water or tools (okay, maybe just a tiny bit of tools in Bentley's fender bag).

The weather has been so nice this summer...not like how early it turned hot last year. Not too many people were out enjoying a perfect Sunday afternoon. Soon Beez and Wonderwoman arrived and we were off down the road. Wonderwoman is just getting her feet wet, so to speak as this was her second official dirt ride. So it was off to the fire lookout and a visit with Norm. You haven't properly been exposed to the whole Corral Canyon experience if you haven't done that. From there we took Espinoza trail at a leisure pace and did a loop back to the staging area. WW really seemed to be tickled with the ride and rode everything without a bobble. The only place she didn't ride was where the big oak had fallen across the trail on Sky Valley road and we had to make a sharp turn with no run room right up a short but steep embankment. Beezz made it look easy with his daddy long legs. I hemmed and hawed around until I got a line with just enough room to get going and hop up the bank. We rode on down towards trail 4. I stopped there at the trail head and was reading the sign, when all of a sudden I noticed that there were a lot of bees buzzing around me. When I looked down, I realized that I had rolled up and parked myself smack dab on top of a hive that was built into the soil. :o It didn't take me long to get myself off of that spot! I never knew that bees built hives in the ground until that very moment. In spite of the fact that I rolled over their tunnels and walked on them, the bees didn't get mad. Lucked out there. :lol:

I wanted to see what had been done to trail 4, but WW decided that her day was pretty perfect and to keep it that way, wanted to continue on around on the road. So Beezz and she went on along while I ducked down #4. Most of it is still singletrack. They took the machinery in and filled in a few ruts, which I liked. And they put in some rather awkward water bars, which I didn't like. Got back to the campsite just a minute or two after Beezz and Wonderwoman arrived. We sat around for a while and shot the breeze (sorry if I did most of the shooting), then I left to go buy a steak dinner for my dad.

A fine day with fine people.

Here are some pics. :)

A fire way off in the distance in Mexico.

100_3378.jpg

Up on the tower....my hair is about to be gone with the wind.

100_3380.jpg

Wonderwoman uses her special powers to conquer a bit of a technical spot while some Jeepers look on.

100_3381.jpg

Beezz shows off his water crossing techniques.

100_3382.jpg

WW prefers a more conventional style.

100_3383.jpg

100_3384.jpg

Flowers flowers flowers....

100_3385.jpg

Beezz goes botanical.

100_3386.jpg

100_3387.jpg

I got to tell ya one of my biggest fears is pissing off bees somewhere way back on a single track in pv

I got to tell ya one of my biggest fears is pissing off bees somewhere way back on a single track in pv

We had ridden past about two or three other sub-terrain bee nests on Sky Valley, not realizing what they were. I have never seen anything like this in all the years that I have been riding out there. I have seen hives in crevasses in dirt banks and rock faces, and in tree stumps, but not in the ground. The hive will occupy a surface area of up to about 4 by 15 feet, though the one I parked on was only about half that size. I somehow doubt that they are killer bees, since they seemed so oblivious to my presence. None the less. I'll be sure sure to keep an eye out for them and stay off the bee hives!

My wife (who works with bee experts) says about 50% of wild bees in SD are affricanized now. Even within that 50% you'll find differing levels of aggression.

(There is NO way we are bringing a young hive to the house to acclimate them!!)

the way to calm bees down so you can work with them is to blow smoke on them...maybe the fact that you were riding a 2 smoker helped :angry:

question guys...is it legal to ride a green sticker bike on those roads up to the tower? my daughters bike is a non-plated wr but green stickered, is there any restrictions up there or places i cant take her?

beezz i have heard of going green but never a green hub on a ktm...

Nice report Mimi. Great photos. We should take photos of those hives next time. They looked like berry seed droppings on the ground. All we needed was a bear around to explain the droppings.

New grading. Lots of new trackor work on the ridge line just west of the black top road that leads to Bobcat Meadows. It looked like my tracks were the first ones on a very loose, dusty, powdery, freshly graded 4 foot wide, single track. #6 track was reworked also with new water bars and grading to be a truely easy trail as labeled. Someone has been very busy. Anyone know who is maintaining the trails. Trail #4 is reworked with water bars and over grown with brush.

Does anyone know who takes responsibility for trimming back the bush?

At 6 pm on Sunday there was 5 riders total at the OHV park and I still just missed a head-on collison at medium speed on trail 2 near 4 corners. I see this as a structural problem that does not need to exist. My answer is one way trails which would mean more trails. Which is good. More trails will spread out the riders.

Thanks for waiting for us Mimi.

That water crossing technique tooks years of Olympic training to accomplish. Please only perform by a trained professional. My green hub is setup for brush clearing. I bought mine from a south african over the internet.

the way to calm bees down so you can work with them is to blow smoke on them...maybe the fact that you were riding a 2 smoker helped :angry:

question guys...is it legal to ride a green sticker bike on those roads up to the tower? my daughters bike is a non-plated wr but green stickered, is there any restrictions up there or places i cant take her?

Hey now....my two strokes all run pretty clean!

The whole area up there at Corral Canyon is green sticker once you get to 4 Corners. Also all of Kernan trail.

beezz i have heard of going green but never a green hub on a ktm...

Not sure, but I've ridden a quad up there and didn't have a problem. I've seen a few other quads up there also.

nice , there is still a little water up there,,, and green!!

about the bees not the beez, grew up in LI NY we had those pesky yellow jacket under ground condos throughout the woods.

I leave nature alone now but when young (and excitable) we attacked one nest with a spray can of raid taped to the on position. After the condo owners went to sleep we dug it up,,,,,,,its was amazing, it was like 5 levels deep of wasp hive, about a foot to foot and half deep into the ground and about 10-12 inches around. Yes they do build underground nests.

PS another weird bee story, up near the tower at Corral there are those trail signs along the intersections, there was one a few years back that was infested with those other strange bees. Those big black wood boring bees that drill almost perfect holes into wood. Carpenter Bees those things are interesting but bizarre.

Wow Mimi!! You did a great write up! Thanks for the great day, you knew just where to go. I had the best day ever. We stayed until evening, made turkey burgers over the campfire. The weather was perfect. A terrific father's day for sure. I hope to do that ride again with a few more easy riders, I may even stay and camp next time. :o

Whoops, I can't get the hang of how to change fonts and that cool stuff.

Wow Mimi! You did a great write up! Thanks for the great day, you knew just where to go.

HOLY COW.....er, I mean....you're welcome, any time. :o;)

Yikes bee hives in the ground? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm glad you escaped unscathed! Thanks for great pics and writeup :o Sounds like a good time for all. I searched for ground bees and couldn't find much. Did it look like this?

groundbee.jpg

photo source: http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_animal...t=21&id=452

Cool.

I'll keep an eye out for a nickel on the ground. Suppose they use it as bait for unsuspecting humans?

Yikes bee hives in the ground? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm glad you escaped unscathed! Thanks for great pics and writeup :angel: Sounds like a good time for all. I searched for ground bees and couldn't find much. Did it look like this?

No, the hives don't look like that. The ground is flat and the earth looks dark and full of little holes about 4-6 inches apart. There are little "berries" of dirt from the tunnels scattered around on the surface along with bees crawling all over the spot. I'll get some pictures next time I'm out there.