no im not the best at reading the plug, but i will look at it tomorrow and see what it says.... and i was thinking of the sea foam stuff, didnt know if it was safe for bikes. thanks

arg... where are you located?

air compression fuel spark... shouldn't be that hard

Even if you have to re-build the carb... I wish I had time to come help you out (or at least laugh at you and drink your beer)

arg... where are you located?

air compression fuel spark.......shouldnt be that hard

Even if you have to re-build the carb... I wish I had time to come help you out (or at least laugh at you and drink your beer)

Fine ole Ramona.

Heres the thing, before the little ride i went on with baldbeemer up here in ramona and the night ride in ocotillo, the bike was at ncy getting the carb rebuilt and cleaned, and after i got it back i realized the carb bowl vent tube was missing(it has been since owning it) so i added a tube to it, and it was fine for awhile riding it back and forth to work and all of a sudden about a mile into my commute it just died at a light, wouldnt restart off choke, so i rode it as fast as i cold home with the choke still on, i hope to have some time today to go over it a little more, going to look at spark plug and maybe pick up a new one just incase, and see if i have a compression gauge that fits.

all american can get you going. guessing there is a reason you went to ncy?? rj has a discount if you mention sdar.

couldnt get it started but heres my plug. anybody wants to read it for me. looks maybe a little fat?

DSCN2658.jpg

all american can get you going. guessing there is a reason you went to ncy?? rj has a discount if you mention sdar.

i get 25% off parts at NCY and they have been great, other places on the other hand havent treated me bad but didnt give me satisfactory service. and im really short on cash to take it in.

that plugs looks ok to me... "maybe" a tiny bit rich, but I would run that (unless it was wet when you pulled it?)

I did have a TINY hole in a diaphragm one time and the bike exhibited similar symptoms... it didn't show itself until it was ALL I was looking for.

You said you swapped all of the jets, right? and adjusted the screw? Have you tried to run the bike with no air filter and see if it runs better or worse? (Don't go for a dirt ride... just in your garage or some other clean place)

Sorry I am not more help, but I'm sure trying... haven't had a real carb problem on a bike for 13 years

yea we had a problem with the diaphragm in our warrior it had a tiny hole, i had taken mine off the slide on tuesday and stretched it with my fingers all over thinking if it did have a hole it wold tear but nothting happened.

i only replaced the idle jet since i had a bigger one laying around, i think i still have a diff main somewhere. the air fuel screw is 2.5 turns out, i turned up the idle screw thinking it was to low.

i popped off the air filter today which has like 1 street ride on it and it still wouldnt start. im still doing the oil flush so i cant ride it anywhere dont think the clutch would like 20-50 dyno oil.

funny thing is thats the only real problem this bike has had is the carb, i think mostly cause the vents, so much dirt gets in really easy so those are going to be fixed pronto, the list is to get a new diapraghm and slide and plug just because and see what happens if nothing then its going in the shop. everybody is plenty of help, all this post was about was for like a hand to the forehead moment "why didnt i think of that" :good:

i still think it is a clogged port in the carb or in a jet...i have cleaned carbs and sworn that a carb was completely clean a few times, then it didnt run right and after a frustrated second or even third try, some little clog in some almost invisible port or circuit that i finally pushed a wire thru and sprayed out then boom it ran fine....so i would really try to clean it again.

my question is, and maybe you said it already, did this bike run fine previously? did it just start NOT running propperly one day?

if the answer to either or both of those questions is yes, then changing the air/fuel screw setting or the idle adjuster, and all of that stuff is NOT the fix.

something has clogged, or broken

RE-clean every port and circuit and jet, or replace the jets, and check or replace the accelerator pump diaphram...problem should be solved

yea, it fired right up surprisingly one morning and ran great for about 2 miles and i was sitting at a light and it just slowly died,

What can i leave the carb in for a day or so to soak it???

Dip it and the rest of the bike in All American KTM and be done with it!

I am sure RJ would be happy to keep you in the loop on the process and be very fair with you......

yea, it fired right up surprisingly one morning and ran great for about 2 miles and i was sitting at a light and it just slowly died,

You can't just plop the carb in a soak, one is there could be small rubber parts that don't like that. I try to take them apart in sections like the top slide and needle stuff check and clean then re assembly, then the lower part, pull the bowl, floats, jets clean with spray and use the little cleaning tool and air, you need to blow the little holes in the body and bowl. They lead to a vent or something that can draw a vacuum or something like that to pull fuel and air.

You can't just plop the carb in a soak,

Well duh, i mean just the body of the carb, cause i have taken it apart 3 times and used a whole can of carb cleaner, i get ones that are double the size of normal ones, and air, so i was thinking of soaking it in something to loosen up whatever might be stuck somewhere then use compressed air, i just dont think they sell carb cleaner by the gallon lol.

o wait, how bout the tps? i cant remove that can i.

restorers are doing an acid soak, but im not sure what kind of acid and what ratio to mix it at to soak the aluminum parts in.

the acid restores old looking carbs to like new condition from what ive seen.

some shop might know.

they also sell McKays carb cleaner baths in 1 gallon cans with a inner parts tray to soak in...but you still need to use a welding tip cleaner to clear out the passages, just make sure NOT to enlarge any holes in the carb body...

http://www.airosol.com/mc_parts-dip.html

Carb soak is different stuff than the canned spray cleaner. It's kind of old-school, but you could try to find a 1 gallon paint-style of Berrymans. It has a little basket in it that holds the parts while you dip it and soak it.

But I'd start with the wire orifice cleaning tool.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!! sorta.....so i was going through the 640 part of the forum on advrider today reading up on stuff and remembered last time i adjusted the valves i wasnt sure i was on tdc-c, so i read up on how to find it and i found it and the intake valves were a little on the tight side, so i loosened em up and made it a perfect .006, and the exhaust side was almost perfect, and the bike had a little trouble starting but it started and idled a little low still, but i went up and down the road and it never died except once, it just seems something is a little off. i adjusted the idle screw but it seemed to get worse when i went up with it.

Do you think the 47.5 idle is to big, which might be causing the sluggish idle?????

hey this is serious business here.

Does anybody have a 45 pilot jet for a bst40 carb??????? mine is kinda screwed up. noone has one in stock and would love to ride my bike to idyllwild this weekend,

if you go back and check post #5 i think i said to adjust your valves.....

as to the jet...you might be surprised if you take it down and compare it to other model carbs jets you might be able to find one that will work from another keihin or mikuni...

worst case scenario you can fix it with a file and a torch tip cleaner maybe....but i guess you are wanting to decrease the size....

just remeber..if it ran right before and now it doesnt...it is NOT the jet size...it never would have ran right if the jet was wrong then too....check for clogs....

hope you get right before the weekend... :o

yea, yea , yea u were right........ it still isnt running right, i upped the idle cause it was really low and now it stays reving when i shift, throttle isnt sticking and idle is still kinda low and lumpy, RJ at all american said i should try screwing in the air screw a turn to compensate for the bigger pilot, but then it wouldnt start off choke again, so idk, going to wait for my 45 pilot to come in and go from there, and if not then its for sale most likely.

NO

Do NOT sell a bike that is "close" to running right... you are missing a small detail... you're giving up hundreds or MORE for a minor issue most likely...

Did RJ take a look at it?

Don't listen to Bikeslut. You should sell it now before it causes you any more aggravation. If you want I'll come over right now and take it off of your hands. I've got a crisp $100 bill too.