Yeti

Border Ride Sunday 3-14-10 - It Happened

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, and please send our best wishes!

All the best wishes to Tom. Let us know if your family needs anything. I know the bike bent a little so if we can assist in making it new again, shout.

Mayhem - Post a pre-deployment ride and I'll bet they'll be some takers. I'm in & the end of ride beers are on me.

...I'm in & the end of ride beers are on me...

Don't let me miss this ride... :unsure:

HE'S HOME!!!

he came home today and is resting in front of the television. they have him on some real good drugs and he is healing well so far. he did ask that i extend thanks again to fakename for the tremendous amount of help and support in getting him comfortable as possible and towards the hospital. as for the bike it looks like it is just going to need the rubber grommets that go between the bars and the clamps and it will be straight again. but i think we will manage seeing as theres no real rush to get it back together. he is going to be off the bike for 6+ months.

Tell him I say: Anytime. Anytime he falls and breaks his shoulder into several pieces, he's welcome to call!

What a serious injury he has. We are all thinking of him.

Now for the bike, "as for the bike it looks like it is just going to need the rubber grommets that go between the bars and the clamps and it will be straight again."

I have crashed with this result to the bike many, many, too many times and all it took was loosening the bolts and twisting the bars straight, then retighten everything up. There was enough play in the gasket to twist things around. Worked just fine for me.

Say hello to DAD from all of us. I was the human "shade guy" who reassembled his head pillows of fanny packs over and over until your DAD just gave up on the hope of comfort.

Starpal- pain is temporary...he will be an SDAR legend!! w00t!

Glad he is coping-let us know when he is ready to get back on the horse, and we'll go back to Otay.

Anybody else remember SantaFeDreaming?

Starpal, given your track record your family may want to avoid Otay Mt in the future. :unsure::unsure:

I hope your dad heals quickly.

Starpal- pain is temporary...he will be an SDAR legend!! w00t!

Glad he is coping-let us know when he is ready to get back on the horse, and we'll go back to Otay.

Anybody else remember SantaFeDreaming?

Starpal, given your track record your family may want to avoid Otay Mt in the future. :unsure::unsure:

I hope your dad heals quickly.

please elucidate

please elucidate

I think starpal2 was the one who went off the edge referred to in one of Jon's previous ride posts of the area.

OH! Was that the Aprilia over the edge? with Border Patrol rides and next day recovery efforts?

Nice to have something in common to discuss during Thanksgiving Dinner B) ... as mom glares at the two of them :beach:

OH! Was that the Aprilia over the edge? with Border Patrol rides and next day recovery efforts?

Nice to have something in common to discuss during Thanksgiving Dinner B) ... as mom glares at the two of them :beach:

yes that would have been my fairly new aprilia going off the edge.... it was quite a good test for the rad guards jon had given me; we both checked. i dont think my mom has made that connection yet.... and hopefully never will i really like that area. you know i almost feel like he just had to show me up. i crash and get brought down by the border patrol and have to go up later and recover the bike with a winch then he goes and crashes and gets brought down by helicopter....not that we're competitive or anything...

Yeah...you got me...this is my best "invisible motorbike" I was able to pull off. I've been looking everywhere for tips on crossing...not much out there. Any tips from all of you out there in SDAR land???

This trip was an eye opener. For one thing, it showed my lack of self sufficiency. Since that ride, I've put the following into my tail bag:

spare fuses

spare spark plug

space blanket

5/8 spark plug socket

rag

ibuprofen

thanks to everyone for not pointing and laughing except where absolutely appropriate. I'm looking forward to the next newbie ride.

Yeah...you got me...this is my best "invisible motorbike" I was able to pull off. I've been looking everywhere for tips on crossing...not much out there. Any tips from all of you out there in SDAR land???

Believe it or not, I have an opinion.

[pause for laughter]

I watched 26 watercrossings that day, and the folks that crossed with purpose were the most successful. I noticed many people were entering the water holding their boots in the air, as if to somehow avoid getting them wet.

In my humble opinion, that won't work well.

I approach a water crossing just like any other rocky trail crossing. With enough *momentum* to keep the bike moving and steering positive. Once you slow down, the bike becomes more difficult to steer and remain upright. And once that fearful riding starts, the rider goes slower "more carefully" and eventually loses headway. Then falls over.

Yes the bottom is like a buncha greased bowling balls of various sizes. But think about that idea- if it was a bunch greased bowling balls (not submerged) how would you ride over that?

Same way- as purposefully as you can, maintaining momentum, loose grip on the bars and steady hand on the throttle.

Even then, you'll fall down.

That help?

good advice FN. This is exactly what happened in my case. The last two times were at a higher speed but also with fewer large rocks (I'm guessing more washed in with the last rain....at least that's my story).

I actually thot....lemme try this at a slower pace instead of blowin' water up over my head. Smooth bottom....may have worked....that bottom...not a chance.

I noticed many people were entering the water holding their boots in the air, as if to somehow avoid getting them wet.

i tried the feet up to begin with but had to bring them back down to help control the bike.

I noticed many people were entering the water holding their boots in the air, as if to somehow avoid getting them wet.

i tried the feet up to begin with but had to bring them back down to help control the bike.

Yes, I saw a lot of that, and when riders made the change back to the pegs? Each time they lost momentum. It's hard to keep on the gas while changing riding positions from "ankles as high as the bars leaning back" to "feet on the pegs, weight neutral, assertive riding" once you've already slowed down so much. Each person using the feet-up technique had a fight on their hands to keep moving and get out upright.

People did it, and everybody made it - but we're typing about improving technique here.

Again- I'm certainly no expert. But I did watch 26 people cross the same stream one after another.

Patterns emerged quickly.

Some patterns submerged just as fast.

The most interesting crossing was Beezzz. Lots of momentum, used a completely different line, and made it out alive. But if he had used less speed, the last bit would have had him.

The ride today was a lot of fun but we had a flat (on my rear tire) and a bad crash that resulted in a helicopter ride for Tom. And the water crossing . . .

Thanks Ken and every one for organizing and herding all of us along this ride today! I had a great time, flat tire notwithstanding, and was bummed I had to bail after 1/2 (?) but we had a couple of delays. :tease: I hope Tom's ok, looking forward to hearing.

We had 27 riders at the start!! Pre-ride briefing:

img3332g.jpg

I'll post up some more pictures in a few.

Hi Everyone this is Tom - yes I am doing well. After a 5 hour surgery they put my shoulder back together. I am expected to make a full recovery and in about 6 to 8 months I will be riding again. I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped me through this. Yes Paul I am breathing. I could not have made it without a responsible group of rider like all of you. Thank you all your thoughts and prayers were heard.

Hi Everyone this is Tom - yes I am doing well. After a 5 hour surgery they put my shoulder back together. I am expected to make a full recovery and in about 6 to 8 months I will be riding again. I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped me through this. Yes Paul I am breathing. I could not have made it without a responsible group of rider like all of you. Thank you all your thoughts and prayers were heard.

Sweet!!! Glad to hear you're on the mend!! There are a few things in life that are just guarantee's...Death, Taxes, and Fakename's singing on the radio. I wonder if he ever taught a Lamaze class?!?

TOM!

Glad to read from you. Last time I saw you you were swinging on a little thread hanging from a helicopter- and how many times can a person type that in their lives?

Keep in touch here and let us know how the recovery is going.

p

I have been through childbirth class, and was once a ACE certified group fitness instructor. But you can tell I've never had singing lessons....

Tom, glad to hear you're going to heal up and be back on the trails (relatively) soon!!

Soooo glad that you are doing better than when we saw you last on the trail. The body is amazing in it's healing properties. Best of luck, thank you for the update.

So trying to figure you why no SDAR member will PM me about the SLO Penguins High Mountain ride. Thought I would finally post some of the rides I've been on with you guys but haven't had an opportunity to post, mainly due to not having an SDAR account. Anyhow...here are some of my pix:

1st Staging area-

CIMG9639.jpg

My ride and a view of Mexico-

CIMG9644.jpg

SDAR Members complicating U.S. Border Patrol & Customs logistics-

CIMG9645.jpg

Pssst...this is where the boarder fence ends...XR Taxi service...no pesos!

CIMG9652.jpg

Hey...no pushing the bike thru the drink! ha!

CIMG9661.jpg

Yeti...what is going on here??? Is that a trunk organizer or a closet organizer draped across your bike? ...and still not all the gear needed to fix a flat...ha j/k!

CIMG9675.jpg

Yeti bragging about his anatomy, I mean a fish that got away...or??? Either way, quit telling stories already, we're here to ride. It's nice that you brought a wide-brimmed hat to perform your tube change, but we all didn't plan for such a lengthy demonstration! Furthermore, how many SDAR riders does it take to change a tube??? Wow, I don't think I'm making any friends here...please note, I'm laughing with you not at you! It was a great ride and imprinted many lifelong memories. BTW: Yeti, so you know who this is, I came in late to the last SDAR club meeting in Mira Mesa with SoCalHodaka and sat across from you...just fyi.

CIMG9683.jpg

It's crucial to have good health insurance to participate in this hobby!

CIMG9697.jpg

Last bailout at the 94, more adventure than I had bargained for, I bailed, needed to get home to North County and recharge for Monday morning at a new job.

CIMG9701.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pix and commentary, and don't mind the post over a year later!

Thanks again to Craig with the XR650R adjacent to mine above, sorry forgot your SDAR handle but still have you phone number, be expecting a call from me selling you on going to the SLO ride with me on May 1st, 2011, ha!