hoss314

HELP! my Mapsource crapped out

I was screwing around with Mapsource and tried an update.............

now I try to open a saved track and get the message:

The file cannot be read because it uses a subsequentfile version. This file can read MPS files as well as GDB files version 2 and below.

I have never had this problem before and could open gdb or gpx files.......

Restart the computer always helps.

Last week I had a problem opening a downloaded file and solved it by saving it to the desktop and dragging it into an Open Mapsource page.

Last idea is to Redo the Update.

Sounds like you somehow wound up with an older version of Mapsource? :good:

MPS goes back several years - go up to the help icon in the toolbar and click on "check for software updates" (again)

I'm using version 6.15.6

thanks.........I will give those a try when I get out of this place

Maybe try and convert that .gdb file to a .gpx file using http://www.GPSVisualizer.com then open it.

Shouldn't have to bother with any of that......6.15.6 will open MPS, version 2 or 3 of .gdb, and .gpx.....

Shouldn't have to bother with any of that......6.15.6 will open MPS, version 2 or 3 of .gdb, and .gpx.....

I just hate Map Source entirely. For a Garmin product, it should be MUCH better.

Just checked and updated my MapSource to 6.15.11 :)

Both City Select & Topo map have higher definition, improved detail & icons.

Was on 6.13.1 :)

I just hate Map Source entirely. For a Garmin product, it should be MUCH better.

Is there anything else to use?

I think it is my laptop :lol: still having problems.....tried to uninstall the program and reload it. Now the CD won't "autorun"....it is a copy though.

But, the copy works on my laptop at work.

What a pain! was at Best Buy last night.........think I am going to graduate to a Macbook one of these days. They say that a PC lifespan is 3-5 years and a Mac is 10 years.

What a pain!.

I've been there......I had to uninstall Mapsource once because my software got hosed up somehow.......I thought I was making the right moves to uninstall but it didn't work......I had to contact Garmin directly and their tech folks walked me through it......eventually got it reinstalled/working.....

Is there anything else to use?

I think it is my laptop :rolleyes: still having problems.....tried to uninstall the program and reload it. Now the CD won't "autorun"....it is a copy though.

But, the copy works on my laptop at work.

What a pain! was at Best Buy last night.........think I am going to graduate to a Macbook one of these days. They say that a PC lifespan is 3-5 years and a Mac is 10 years.

Before you switch to a MAC check the compatibility with Mapsource and or Garmin software. I think I have read somewhere that there are issues with the combo but I could be way off.

Does anyone on here use a MAC and Garmin SW?

Mac? Did somebody say Mac?

Yes, got a whole lotta them dating way back.

Garmins Mac "solution" is called RoadTrip, and from the sound of it. it's not much better than Mapsource. But for a long time, they had no mac offering whatsoever, and I had to run VMware to use MapSource.

Kinda like buying a Yugo to listen to the am radio- there's little satisfaction for one's efforts.

Like Strega, I've used Google Earth to create routes and transferred them by copying them to the SD card.

Just save the Google Earth to the Micro SD and install it in the handheld? Mapsource in the Handheld read the file?

Garmins Mac "solution" is called RoadTrip, and from the sound of it. it's not much better than Mapsource. But for a long time, they had no mac offering whatsoever, and I had to run VMware to use MapSource.

Kinda like buying a Yugo to listen to the am radio- there's little satisfaction for one's efforts.

Like Strega, I've used Google Earth to create routes and transferred them by copying them to the SD card.

did someone say MAC????

oh is that some kind of computer?

:blink:

i was thinking someone needed me, but as usual i am useless, feels like im home here :good:

Just save the Google Earth to the Micro SD and install it in the handheld? Mapsource in the Handheld read the file?

oops Skipped the conversion step from kmz to gpx. www.gpsvisualizer.com

oops Skipped the conversion step from kmz to gpx. www.gpsvisualizer.com

Great site, I use it all the time :lol:

"GPS Visualizer can read data files from many different sources, including but not limited to: GPX (a standard format used with many devices and programs, including Garmin's eTrex, GPSMAP, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado, & NĂ¼vi series), Google Earth (.kml/.kmz), Geocaching.com (.loc), FAI/IGC glider logs, MS Excel, Google Spreadsheets, XML feeds, Garmin Forerunner (.xml/.hst/.tcx), Timex Trainer, OziExplorer, Cetus GPS, PathAway, cotoGPS, CompeGPS, TomTom (.pgl), IGN Rando (.rdn), Emtac Trine, Suunto X9/X9i (.sdf), Fugawi, NetStumbler, and of course tab-delimited or comma-separated text.

GPS Visualizer is based in Portland, Oregon, and has been on the Web since October 2002."

Thanks for the link!