Bagstr

Hills of the Moon - Saturday Feb. 13

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...55a743426a151d1

Trucking to Tamarisk Grove Campground ( Hwy 78 & S-3 ) Saturday!

Plan to arrive 0900 after coffee in Julian.

Catch San Felipe Wash at the Texas Dip, head north to explore the dead end of Hills of the Moon.

Continue north to the view points and down Inspiration Wash, thru Borrego Spr.

Circle up Culp and down to Grapevine back to Tamarisk Grove.

The Capt is laid up with bruised ribs, so I'm looking for explorers who like the sand at walking pace and above.

Hmm.

I'm riding to Desert Hot Springs again Saturday, thinking of how I might work this in. Anyone know a way north from Font's-ish area that's not pavement?

I don't know the area, but it sounds real interesting. If my son becomes interested we are both game. What is the level of difficulty? My son is a newish rider, but with lots of natural ability/or lack of knowing, what kind of trouble he could get into.

I'll go! 9am at the camp grounds? I will skip the coffee but see you where we off loaded the trucks the last time. Yes?

I have not been since i was with you and captchap a year ago or so. So, I will go where ever you want. I wont be bringing my 990!

steve

Is Font's Point that place Crawdaddy gets those great pics with the desert landscape in the background?

Is Font's Point that place Crawdaddy gets those great pics with the desert landscape in the background?

Yes

100_1303.jpg

Fakename,

North by dirt? Warner Springs to Anza to Idylwild etc. Mecca to Joshua Tree. Otherwise, SOL.

OrangeBlood,

You are tellin' me you don't know how much trouble he can get into. Just kidding. Hey, I don't know, Thirty miles of sand wash worth of trouble. Here is an idea; As we head east from Tamarisk, let's do the 4.6mile, one way, Mine Canyon Wash. By the time we get back to Hwy 78, the kid will know how much trouble he can get into. After that we can do Old Borrego Valley Rd. to San Felipe Wash north.

Dirtdiver,

Good to hear from you. It only took a year to recover from slogging the 990 up Inspiration Wash? How much trouble can we get into??

465348972_dXUa9-L.jpg

457211123_uXLnP-L.jpg

About 30 Miles plus of sand wash, no extreme Drops or Climbs, Delightful Dirt up Culp way.

The north end of Hills of the Moon should be just above the head of the Airman in Crawdaddys photo.

Could you elaborate on "sand"? Deep sand? If I wanted to do this ride another time, is it plated only?

Could you elaborate on "sand"? Deep sand? If I wanted to do this ride another time, is it plated only?

Significant mileage of Deep Sand. If you want to ride in the Anza Borrego, practice, fall and practice.

Definitely a Plated route. All of the roads in the Anza Borrego, outside the OHV Park, are for Plated vehicles only. This includes Pinyon Mtn. Canyon, Fish Creek, Vallecito Wash, Diablo Drop, San Felipe Wash, Fonts Point.

I'm thinking of joining you guys on Saturday, What time do you think we'll be back at the trucks?

About 60 miles to Borrego Springs for gas, 90mi total back to Tamarisk +-.

My guess is 2-3:00PM. Moving average is about 25mph plus stops.

Tamarisk takes me 1.5 hrs drive time from La Mesa

223164698_qsFBG-L.jpg

Tamarisk Grove Campground

Significant mileage of Deep Sand. If you want to ride in the Anza Borrego, practice, fall and practice.

This is good preparation for the Desert Dash. Will Sunday at the Desert Dash go to Font's Point this year?

Dave,

I won't know until this evening. I have tentative plans to hook up with the Big Bear Trail Riders group in OW for a weekend camping trip.

I would however like to preview next week's ride.

I will contact you direct this evening if I'm coming your way. I'll need an early start to make it there in time from Big Bear. Maybe I'll load up and head down after work. Give me some good coordinates to google.

Give me some good coordinates to google.

Tamarisk Grove Parking area: N33 08.283 W116 22.655

It's plated only, but probably the most important part of riding sand is a solid pair of huevos to ride faster than you think. Your age (sorry!) will qualify you, Wil- you are still in the "I'm indestructible" stage of life, and you have the skills to back it up.

Yes, I will be ride testing the new set up on 146.050. Working my way through the Technicians test book!

Hope to see on the trail.

Dave- do you have a radio?

Johhny, Edited Friday 2:30PM

Check the Google Maps link at post #1

Tamarisk Grove Camp N33 08.215 W116 22.732

San Felipe Wash & Borrego Valley Rd N33 09.774 W116 15.150

Hill of the Moon Wash and San Felipe Wash N33 13.003 W116 12.908

We will be on the radios 146.050

See you "Out There"

Dave,

I won't know until this evening. I have tentative plans to hook up with the Big Bear Trail Riders group in OW for a weekend camping trip.

I would however like to preview next week's ride.

I will contact you direct this evening if I'm coming your way. I'll need an early start to make it there in time from Big Bear. Maybe I'll load up and head down after work. Give me some good coordinates to google.

I'm going to try to make it. If you were licensed (digging here! :friends: ) we could connect/update via the laguna repeater. But I'll be on 146.050. I won't be able to ride with you very long, I have a lot of miles planned tomorrow, but it should be fun!

See you at 9, but don't wait for me!

Catch San Felipe Wash at the Texas Dip

Texas Dip? Are you slabbing from Tamarisk to Blu Inn then hanging a left into San Felipe Wash at the "dip" just short of the Blu Inn?

Catch San Felipe Wash at the Texas Dip

Texas Dip? Are you slabbing from Tamarisk to Blu Inn then hanging a left into San Felipe Wash at the "dip" just short of the Blu Inn?

Crawdaddy,

Oops, another Bad instruction set. The Texas Dip I'm referring to is on Borrego Valley Rd. near the junction of Borrego Valley Rd. and Hwy 78 east of Buttes Pass Rd. I updated the Google Map on the first post. San Felipe runs north there up to the east west version we all know well.

I will edit the GPS post at 9:53AM to Johnny also.

Thanks for the question, so I could clear up the error.

I'm going to try to make it. If you were licensed (digging here! :friends: ) we could connect/update via the laguna repeater. But I'll be on 146.050. I won't be able to ride with you very long, I have a lot of miles planned tomorrow, but it should be fun!

Hey, I'm studying and will be licensed the first Saturday I'm not riding! I am carrying the radio just to check for fit. ( Belt Clip Tywraped to the rear of my Acerbis protection under the shoulder blade.) As demo'd by Trophyhunter.

Repeaters, hmm, don't have that figured out yet.

We will count on you, but won't wait. I think we will be departing about 0930.

The Texas Dip I'm referring to is on Borrego Valley Rd. near the junction of Borrego Valley Rd. and Hwy 78 east of Buttes Pass Rd.

Oh, I've slabbed between 78 and Christmas circle on Borrego Valley Rd. and I know what dip you're talking about (now)......I've never ridden that stretch of SF on any of my bikes.......I may join you guys in the morning......uncertain.....might wind up over at Big Bear Trail Riders to ride one of their BBTR Presidents Day Weekend Loops

Edit: Just looked at the BBTR tracks/waypoints.......they look very familiar :drinks::friends: .......so more inclined to join you guys at this point to ride something "new"......need to get some issues sorted with my bikes.....don't wait for me if I'm not there ready to ride at 9am.....

Hey, I'm studying and will be licensed the first Saturday I'm not riding! I am carrying the radio just to check for fit. ( Belt Clip Tywraped to the rear of my Acerbis protection under the shoulder blade.) As demo'd by Trophyhunter.

Repeaters, hmm, don't have that figured out yet.

We will count on you, but won't wait. I think we will be departing about 0930.

I'll be up on 146.505 so we can talk- you too, Crawdaddy.