SteveO

High-power dirt bike maintenance question

I was reading Wil’s (650hucker) thread about what bike he should buy and didn’t understand what all the talk about 4-stroke top end maintenance/repair was about. I thought maybe valve adjustment.

Then I read that the BMW G450X (not available in CA) required an oil change every 10 hours and a new piston every 70 hours!!!

Then I read that the Beta RR 400/450/520 requires an oil change every 15 hours and a new piston every 90 hours.

My Suzuki DR650 requires an oil change every 3500 miles (or 12 months) and doesn’t say anything about a new piston. Valve adjustment is every 7000 miles.

Now I am wondering if there is some alternate reality for high performance dirt bikes. There are two bikes that I am thinking about if I decide I need a lighter bike: KTM 530 and Husky 510. To cut to the chase, do either of these bikes require 10-15 hour oil changes and new pistons every <100 hours?

Steve

I don't know about the others, but the Husky 510 is similar to a DRZ in its maintenance schedule. It needs maintenance about every 3,000 miles.

---------------------------

edit: I take that back about a Husky 510. I was thinking about the Husky 610.

Without specifically addressing those two bikes (cuz I don't know)

High compression, hi-revving bikes with low oil volume require more oil changes

Valve checks differ a lot between models....

Don't let frequent oil changes deter you... It won't be an XR250...maintenance wise OR performance ride.

Riding dirtbikes is a silly little little hobby, and serves no tangible reward...embrace it, and ride what moves you...follow the recommended maintenance schedule and be happy

The manufacturer's assume you are going to ride the bike like the race bike it is. If you dualsporting\sightseeing, these numbers might seem like alternate reality. The oil numbers unfortunately are reality. I might even say 15 race hours is too long. But with good air filter maintenance and motor oil changes often, the piston, really the rings, on these bikes last more like 200-300hrs. Even then they will keep running, but you start risking damage. Rings get too worn, piston makes love to the cylinder. Even a DR650 will need new rings at some point. Dirt in the air intake or in the motor oil will ruin any bike quickly.

The DOHC Husky's require the initial oil change at 1000km and every 5000km after that. Racing with the full power kit they call out for the initial change at 3 hrs. and every 5 hours after that.

On my 510 I change my oil every 1000 miles with a filter change every other time. I double that on my DRZ. That is running synthetic oil in both. If I was not running synthetic, I would cut that in half. The Husky also holds almost twice as much oil as the KTM motor which helps the oil last longer. IMHO :ph34r: Ken

Steve, I found the KTM maintence schedual at one point, can't find it again, but required oil changes every 15-25 hours, and pistons about every 100 hours. It's hidden deep within the ktm website...

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I certainly learned something new here. If I decide to go to a lighter bike, at least I will have some idea of what I am signing up for. Any additional info still welcome.

Steve

Steve, I found the KTM maintence schedual at one point, can't find it again, but required oil changes every 15-25 hours, and pistons about every 100 hours. It's hidden deep within the ktm website...

Piston? Certainly hope not- my motor is at 177 hours.

Seems ok....

Hey Crawdaddy can you shoot Gil an email, I would like to know how many miles his KTM has, what he has done to it, and what his maint. schedule is like. I think these guys would find that info interesting.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I certainly learned something new here. If I decide to go to a lighter bike, at least I will have some idea of what I am signing up for. Any additional info still welcome.

Steve

Don't forget the good ol fun factor or riding a Hi Performance bike. I really liked my DRZ but the KTM kicked it all up a few notches. I don't mind the extra oil changes. I think they look at extreme conditions when they write the manuals.

Piston? Certainly hope not- my motor is at 177 hours.

Seems ok....

My bad, CLEAN the pistons every 100 hours. I'll post the link to the maintence schedual in a second...

This wasn't the one I was using, but it's all I could find...Makes no sense, It reads, all 2T every 34 hrs, 180. WHAT?

http://www.ktm.com/fileadmin/systemdata/do...en_11-09_07.pdf

Here ya go, service times for a KTM 530 XC-W https://www.ktmdealer.net/uploads/models_te...575I8_OM_EN.pdf Click on the service schedual on the left side.

http://www.ktm.com/fileadmin/systemdata/do...en_11-09_07.pdf

Here ya go, service times for a KTM 530 XC-W https://www.ktmdealer.net/uploads/models_te...575I8_OM_EN.pdf Click on the service schedual on the left side.

Thanks, Wil.

OK, to summarize from the KTM 530 EXC Service Manual:

Change engine oil and filter and gear oil every 15 hours

Check valve clearances every 15 hours

Replace spark plug every 30 hours

Change piston, conrod bearing and crankshaft main bearing every 90 hours (non-competitive use)

Change camshaft bearing every 90 hours (non-competitive use)

Replace foot brake cylinder seals every 60 hours (non-competitive use).

I estimate that I ride my dirt bike about 100 hours a year, so I can see how frequently these maintenance items would occur. Not unreasonable maintenance, but certainly a lot more than I am used to.

Does anyone have numbers from the Husky TE510 manual? Joliet, does your TE510 manual say anything about pistons and bearings?

Steve

Riding dirtbikes is a silly little little hobby, and serves no tangible reward...embrace it, and ride what moves you...follow the recommended maintenance schedule and be happy

Wow.

Profound.

So true. :)

All I could find on it...

"here's the real skinny on valve checks, first one at 16 hours then at 40 hours each cycle and it takes 20 minutes to check TE valves. 3000 miles and my TE-510 valves have not moved from dead center spec clearance range.

oils changes - same on all bikes - often like every 300 miles of trails rides , maybe 500 miles of dual sport use, but no need to change the filter but every other one. Fliters are cheap.

still the TE-510 is a barely street legal dirt bike. it is a race bike, no radiator fan for cooling at stoplights, but an overflow coolant bottle resivoir. the Te-610 is a true dual sport, has a radiator fan, etc but is 40 lbs heavier."

still the TE-510 is a barely street legal dirt bike. it is a race bike, no radiator fan for cooling at stoplights, but an overflow coolant bottle resivoir. the Te-610 is a true dual sport, has a radiator fan, etc but is 40 lbs heavier."

The fuel injected TE's all come stock with good efficient fans for cooling. (08 and newer)

TE's don't run as hot as some other European enduro bikes, even the models without the radiator fan. I check my valves every 1500 miles. Almost 6000 miles on the machine and not out of spec yet. Coming up on a another inspection point, so maybe this time.....

I estimate that I ride my dirt bike about 100 hours a year, so I can see how frequently these maintenance items would occur. Not unreasonable maintenance, but certainly a lot more than I am used to.

Does anyone have numbers from the Husky TE510 manual? Joliet, does your TE510 manual say anything about pistons and bearings?

Steve

They call for replacing clutch disks, piston, and lower bearings at 10,000 km, which should be a little over 200 hours of dirt riding.

Steve

They call for replacing clutch disks, piston, and lower bearings at 10,000 km, which should be a little over 200 hours of dirt riding.

Exactly right, Ken. It will take me two years to put 10,000 km on my DR650. Now piston, etc. replacement doesn't sound so bad. Excellent. Thanks.

Steve