dirt dame

01/16/10 Trail clearing ride at CC

Another day, another few hundred yards of trail covered. Got out there at 9, Alan arrived a bit after that. Then Ranger Tull arrived and he chatted a bit with us about the trail. Later, Will showed up and the three of us headed out for the new trail, with a stop at the Tot Lot on the way. People were there getting ready for some work, as well as Jeepsters out on trail 11.

I was a bit stiff and slow today, and didn't make anything better by doing a zero mile per hour down hill back plant on a relatively small hill side that I lost momentum and balance on. I didn't really fall in such a way as to damage anything, except for the fact that I had torn my right rotator cuff back in the 80s and it doesn't take much to make it sore these days. ;) So I started the day with a tender shoulder and had a klutzy day after that.

We quickly found ourselves in some thick brush and got to work.

Ready to chop some brush.

100_2880.jpg

And there was plenty of it.

100_2881.jpg

Peek a boo, I see brush. Before picture.

100_2882.jpg

After picture.

100_2883.jpg

But it wasn't all work.....oh wait a minute, maybe it was, if your big 650 didn't like slabs all that much.

100_2884.jpg

Just get it anchored down right here for a rest stop.

100_2886.jpg

Time to kick back, enjoy the breeze and the view, and for me, have some lunch.

100_2888.jpg

Far away rocks to the south.

100_2891.jpg

Alan heads down a slab.

100_2889.jpg

Followed by Will.

100_2893.jpg

Alan is way off walking a gnarly hillside section.

100_2894.jpg

A little slab dancin'.

100_2896.jpg

Heading back to trail 11.

100_2898.jpg

We worked a while and then did a little unwind ride back to the staging area. It was a pleasant day (except for the fall). ;)

Sorry I had to head out early. That trail will be real fun once I get a smaller bike :rolleyes: We cleared quite a bit of thick bush sections...

Thanks to Mimi and Wil for coming out and helping with the trail work! We actually made it through the one thick brush section. I consider that a good accomplishment. For only three of us we knocked out quite a bit. I think there is only one more thick section but I could be wrong. There could be more.

It doesn't take a lot of this type of work to wear you down. We worked a few hours then took a lunch break. Worked a couple of hours more and then Wil said he had to leave. We all rode back to the trailhead together. I wanted to ride a little more but then realized I was just to tired.

We were hitting pretty hard and I only got one pic. Here is Mimi and Wil before we cut this section. Yes, there is actually a trail through there now. This is the same spot as Mimi's second picture above.

post-4114-1263785884_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the hard work...let me know when somebody is heading out on a Sunday, and I'll throw some trail tools together, some hiking boots and be ready to work!

Anybody want to slop around out there this weekend and do some trail clearing? :blush:

Anybody want to slop around out there this weekend and do some trail clearing? :blush:

Mimi, perhaps a new thread to see if anyone wants to go work on the trail.

I can't do it, probably not until after the Desert Dash.

Looks like a chain saw would be real handy in sections like this....is that allowed?.....sure takes less out of you....I could make it sunday but not arrive til 12:30 or so....(ps: I don't own a chain saw at the moment, but my years of clearing line, I used one alot)....still have a machete.... :blush:

My thoughts are:

I don't see any reason to go out to Corral this weekend. The only thing you will do out there is tear up the trails. They have to be waterlogged by now and riding them will just create a mess until they have a chance to dry out a little.

Using a chain saw for the work to be done would not be practical. The brush can be cut with a decent pair of loppers. I have a chain saw and would have been using it if I thought it was the right tool.

I'm thinking next weekend might be better for this if the place has a few days to dry out.

Let me know..I think I would hike in anyway vs. riding in......not sure I'm up for carrying sharp tools on a bike, up that particular set of obstacles........If I hike in from the start? is the route clearly visible up in the brush section?....(I didn't walk in that far last time)......I may get a weekday off next week...anyone else up for heading out?..I won't know til after the start of the week.....I may head to des next weekend.....

It would be a very long walk from the beginning of the trail to where we have gotten to. There is a shortcut way in off of 11.