My club is holding the first race of the season. Anyone want to come out to help, camp, observe, and/or race let me know. It will be at the dip this year (about a mile past wheeler road) so, it pretty easy access in and out and the mud hills around to play on. I'm heading down Friday morning 1/29. Look for the big tan winnebego motorhome and KTM 113s.

I've never seen an actual desert race, so I'll try to get out there on Sunday and check things out. Is the course pretty visible to spectators, or is there a good spot to set up if I'd like to take some pictures?

If you guys need an extra hand with anything let me know. Like I said, it would be my first time seeing an organized event in the desert, so I'm pretty much clueless :unsure:

I've never seen an actual desert race, so I'll try to get out there on Sunday and check things out. Is the course pretty visible to spectators, or is there a good spot to set up if I'd like to take some pictures?

If you guys need an extra hand with anything let me know. Like I said, it would be my first time seeing an organized event in the desert, so I'm pretty much clueless :lol:

I'm not sure where the best observation point will be as I haven't seen the course map yet but the bomb run is always a good place to watch the action from the various starts. Then you could head for a place on the course. I will pound stakes on Friday and should run the course on Saturday so I'll have a pretty good idea of the vantage points then. If you get there early on Sunday I can fill you in before I head out to a check point. If you want to help with the check point to see the action first hand I can arrainge that also. B)

My club is holding the first race of the season. Anyone want to come out to help, camp, observe, and/or race let me know. It will be at the dip this year (about a mile past wheeler road) so, it pretty easy access in and out and the mud hills around to play on. I'm heading down Friday morning 1/29. Look for the big tan winnebego motorhome and KTM 113s.

I'm planning on being out there that weekend.......we'll probably head out Friday night and stay through Sunday noonish.......we'll be in our usual camping area over by the dune wall (N32 56.140 W115 47.210)

I'll ride over Sat and try to find you.....

are you gonna get a 2010 competition license?

team 82 will work this race. see you friday night or saturday morning.

I'm glad we clear that up.

but i was asking tree. :lol:

hey tree if you need help on YOUR check point id be glad to help out its my bday weekend im gunna come out anyway.

brandon

Always can use the help. Yea I'm getting my license. I may be selling my shop so I should have more time to ride.

I shall show up and race on my DR650.

Kidding.

Looks fun, Wish I could go. I've wanted to try one of those races for a while.... Is it mass start or rider vs. clock format?

I shall show up and race on my DR650.

Kidding.

Looks fun, Wish I could go. I've wanted to try one of those races for a while.... Is it mass start or rider vs. clock format?

There's a few dual sport bikes that race mine being one of them. It's a mass start with expert/amature going first then novice/beginners 10 mins behind that with the Quads going on their own lines also.

62v may join the fun again - i lost 8 pounds after last year's race and got to watch some really fast racers pass me :lol: was fun because u don't need GPS or a map to know you are on the right track

one week till race time. I'm planning to get there thursday evening and with the recent rains conditions should be epic. Anyone not racing that wants to run the course saturday come see me or I may also do a Blue inn run on saturday if you're up for that stop by. Also anyone that would like to help we always have spots to fill.

one week till race time. I'm planning to get there thursday evening and with the recent rains conditions should be epic. Anyone not racing that wants to run the course saturday come see me or I may also do a Blue inn run on saturday if you're up for that stop by. Also anyone that would like to help we always have spots to fill.

Hey Tree,

We are trying to leave SD Friday by 1pm which means 3pm and I will have 3 noobs with me so I bet we could persuade them to help without too much trouble :D I will definitely chase you down when we get in for that beer. :blink:

See you in the Desert!!

If you guys need an extra hand with anything let me know. Like I said, it would be my first time seeing an organized event in the desert, so I'm pretty much clueless :sorry:

cmayer, im heading out tonight or tomorrow and my wife and I will be sweeping the race. We have another buddy that wants to sweep. So if you want to watch the race first hand you could probably work the checkpoint 1 (SDAR checkpoint with tree) or sweep with us. Its a 100 mile race so it will take about 2 hours for the first person to finish and another hour for the rest of the folks. My number is 619-990-0843 call me if you want to find us. Ask around where the sign ups are, that is where we will all be before the race. race starts at 10:00AM. :lol:

brad

What would happen if I raced my DR650 in novice/beginner?

huh???

Would I hold everybody up, get in the way? Do ok? Would I even be able to ride the course? I'm not going to do it, just wondering. Tree said some people race dual sports there, just wondered how a 650 would take it

hey wil, you can ride whatever you want. Since you are under 30 you would race open class with me. Beginners race 2 of 4 laps. Novice up ride the entire race until the leader finishes.

The Am and Expert racers are the first line to start. Then 5 minutes later the Quad Am Expert line goes, then 5 minutes later the bikes beginner novices go. So as a beginner or novice you already have a 10 minute handicap not to mention the experts are insanely fast. So, getting lapped, is part of the deal until you can move up to Am. You are racing other people in your class and skill bar though.

There are typically lots of different terrain in these races, but for the most part its 30Mph+ average course speed I'd say, sometimes 40mph+. Some of the really fast courses, the leaders are averaging 50mph+. There are lots of different sections we race in. Sand washes, lake beds, sand dunes, rock canyons, whooped out pole line roads, mud hills, hill climbs, and cross country sections. There are a few guys riding xr650r and drz400s but not too many. If you came and race what would most likely happen is you would have a great time and come back and do better the next time and repeat the process. You are young and in shape so you would probably progress quickly.

you are more than welcome to come the course with us tomorrow and get an idea what its about. :rolleyes:

bomb run video from the race:

I saw Sparky on the 625 sxs, at least I think it was you. I was hanging out on the backside of the mountain helping people get their bikes up some of the hills. :lol::) I think you took the rocky hill in the middle in the spot where you had 3 hills to choose from. Looked like you were a bit tired at the top of that hill. That was about 10 miles in. How did your race finish? Never saw any of the others that said they were coming out?? :lol: