650hucker

In the market (soon) for a new dirtbike

Yeah, just figured that out...how many of you have ever been caught, or had the law enforced on you?

Get caught by a ranger, on a bad day, riding a red sticker out of season, and he'll impound it...

Another great thing about the WRs and CRFXs...

Older bikes may still have green stickers... A trick about the WR and YZF series is, many of the parts are interchangeable...

Want a lighter weight bike, but WR tranny- fairly easy...lots of examples of this

Remember too, that red sticker season starts October 1st and ends April 31st, so you have a pretty wide margin of rideable time to use your bike. In some places the riding season is all year round. Troy Meadows is one of those delightful places. :)

Personally, I don't care about riding the desert in August. :heat:

Thanks mimi, I just checked that out. 90% of the BLM lands, including Jacumba and ocotillo are year round. The desert and lark are the only big places that are limited, and they are from oct 1-may 31. I'm not all that happy about summer riding either. Corral is apparently year round if I have a spark arrester on...

The reason I ask is because I am going tomorrow to check out a 2005 Suzuki RM-Z 250f. It has tons of upgrades, shaved seat, exhaust, plastics, suspension, rims...He's asking 1500.

Do some research, the early Yamaha four strokes are some of the most reliable ones made.

My first "modern" Dualsport was a 98 YZ400......my son Jarrett and I both had a blast on that bike......just got tired of kicking it and wrong transmission for technical riding.....

Jarrett at the Big Bear Run in 2006(?)

JarrettBigBear.jpg

Do some research, the early Yamaha four strokes are some of the most reliable ones made.

My first "modern" Dualsport was a 98 YZ400......my son Jarrett and I both had a blast on that bike......just got tired of kicking it and wrong transmission for technical riding.....

Jarrett at the Big Bear Run in 2006(?)

JarrettBigBear.jpg

and a buddy of mine is still riding that exact same bike to this day... but, yeah; technical riding is not it's (or his) strong suit. Out at the desert he has a blast... stalling on trail 4, in the water crossing, and having to kick start it, had him cursing the day he ever met me...

"so don't stall, then..." :heat:

Don't know much about the RMZ, but I think the WR is pretty great anywhere, no matter how technical

I know the RM-Z is a great bike

It should be. It's basically a KXF with yellow plastic. :heat:

I know the RM-Z is a great bike

It should be. It's basically a KXF with yellow plastic. ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about the whole kawasuki company merging

Oh yeah, forgot about the whole kawasuki company merging

Your spelling is lousy. ;):lol: :lol: :lol:

Kawasaki+Suzuki=kawasuki haha. Unless...Suzaki?

anyyyywaysss, is the red sticker really going to cause a problem, or is it just a minor annoyance? I can always use the 650 for green sticker only trails

red sticker is more than just a "minor annoyance" to me, strictly on principle...

I would still try to find a green sticker... we can have really nice weather in June, September and October

Are any bikes green sticker past 03? Just trail bikes?

That's right. "Closed course" competition machines don't meet emission standards set for public land "trail bikes".

That's bull$#!*. Wow.

Well I'm not sure what to do...this is such a good deal and the bike has been modified for jumping and trail riding...I have the 650 for green sticker only trails...

Any ideas?

You Betcha!

That pollution from bikes on private property doesn't float over onto the public property and vice versa. Can you say con-game, C.A.R.B., and quasi-governmental extortion in the same sentence?

Older CR 250 2 stroke... I watched Mc Grath ride Supercross on one, and I've seen you ride. You might get to his level on that bike at some point (maybe).

My KDX is an 03 and red stickered, as was my 05 EXC 250. They are what I wanted to ride and so I enjoyed them and I am still enjoying the Kawi. My 06 CR85 and 06 KX 250 are also red stickered, but I got them spark arrestors so they can go on public land. There's still the KLX and the TE for the rest of the year and places where I need a plate.

Lemie, thanks. I think I want a four stroke though. And I doubt I could use ALL the power a CR250 would give me...

Sounds like I'll be fine dealing with the red sticker...I can ride my 650 most places anyways if I need to go out for a ride...

Anyone know the restrictions on PV, Corral, lark, and Jacumba. I'm pretty sure lark is oct to may, and jacumba and is year round. I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!

Last CARB update shows Oct 1 through April 31 as the season for McCain and Corral Canyon.

Ok, thanks! I've heard PV is year round with a spark arrester...so 4-strokes would be fine?

Ok, thanks! I've heard PV is year round with a spark arrester...so 4-strokes would be fine?

Not if it's red stickered. Spark arrestors are required on all vehicles year round regardless of whether they are two or four stroke, but putting a spark arrestor on an MX model does not turn it into a green sticker bike. The green sticker has to do with factory set emission levels on the trail legal models.

Yeah, I knew that. So PV is also limited?

Same rules and time table as Corral Canyon and McCain.

Alright, thanks!

I think I'm just gonna suck it up go with a red sticker. I'm going to look at the bike tomorrow.