Jaynen

Trailer Hitch in North County

Anyone had any good luck with any businesses in particular or know what it might roughly cost to put a trailer hitch on my Jetta?

I used Offroad Warehouse for both my truck and Jeep, but I don't suppose they would have something for a Jetta on hand. :blink:

The pre-fabbed ones work pretty well for most installations. I used a Valley hitch, but was lazy and had the hitch shop install it- I wanted to be damn sure there was no rattling.

There was.

I ended up dropping my muffler and "using a heavy percussive tool to improve the clearance", then reinstalling. Then it was fine.

The only tricky part is the wiring, which I believe you'll need a fancy-expensive adapter like I did that translates your vee-hikels euro lights into those of the good-ole USA. The adapter/box/thingy is about $40 if I remember.

Yeah I found a hitch online but it was the wiring I was not really wanting to deal with.

Yeah I found a hitch online but it was the wiring I was not really wanting to deal with.

It's not really that hard- plenty of online resources for it.

Try U-Haul

It's not really that hard- plenty of online resources for it.

Cool yeah I bet its not too bad if you get down to it. I am sure I can find a guide on the TDI club forums. I just didn't know if it was cheap to have someone else do so to speak

hey J,

I think when I priced mine out, uhaul was going to run about $250-270 installed..(a while ago, so don't remember exactly???)..

..so I got my hitch at an auto parts store (I think that was about $120)...had a mechanically inclined friend (that you know btw) install it for me...that was pretty easy also...(the parts come sized and set for your particular car)...of course they probably are easier to find for a toyota truck than a jetta

....amazingly enough, I believe I bought the wiring kit at pep boys and did that myself....and I am NOT great with wiring....ask Fakename B)

Here's an option:

Perhaps We should plan a riding weekend up North and you and the Mrs...head up there with me....(bring your hitch....bet we could arrange something.... :rolleyes:

Mel's welding in Vista has done all my hitches since the early 80's. They know their stuff. They did the ramp on the back of my travel trailer for my KLR.

Phill

Mel's was in business up in Hawthorne when I was a kid. I put a comment about the hitch I made for my Fox, very similar to the Jetta. If it has the tow hooks on each side (like the Fox or Vanagon) it is really easy to fab up a hitch. We aren't talking about a 5,000 lb trailer here. The trailer I used to haul to the dump with my Fox was about 1,200 lbs all up, one bike on the Harbor Freight trailer might be 500 lbs max.