Yeti

Shock Question

I got a heavier rate spring for my rear shock. [insert fat joke here.]

I can pull the shock off the bike but, according to those who know, I need the spring compressed to remove it from the shock. I don't have a spring compressor.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the central San Diego area that could do this?

Or is there a member on here that has a spring compressor??

Thanks in advance!

I got a heavier rate spring for my rear shock. [insert fat joke here.]

I can pull the shock off the bike but, according to those who know, I need the spring compressed to remove it from the shock. I don't have a spring compressor.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the central San Diego area that could do this?

Or is there a member on here that has a spring compressor??

Thanks in advance!

I have one that works well on all my dual shock bikes, can't gaurantee it will work on yours but we can try. I am in Escondido.

Don

Edit

Just tried it on an 86 Honda monoshock-worked fine.

Did you try backing the preload off?

Personally, no. But others who have replaced the spring on their 800GS have said that you need a spring compressor.

Precision Concepts in El Cajon swaps springs at no charge while U wait. Unfortunately the mechanic is not always at the El Cajon store. Call first.

I don't know about yours, but my preload locking rings were not easily moved. Being aluminium, they are easily damaged. My rings were not accessible on the bike and off it is hard to stabilize the shock, even with a big vise.

Compressor is a lot less work.

2 Tie down straps will work *shrug*

Yes it does Roger. I have used this method in a pinch. Tie the top end mount of the shock and attach it to something solid or hang it from the ceiling. Attach tie downs and stand on them or mount them to something solid opposing the top. It works. But I have a real spring compressor because it works easier and it is a cool tool. I have a tool collection in addition to my motorcycle collection.

Whenever my wife decides to comment on my stuff she says that I suffer from TMS (too much sh*t) and that most people would just have an all purpose vehicle but I have a vehicle for all purposes (motorcycles-cars-trucks-boats). :blink:

The autozone by my house lends them out for free. Maybe they all do? I'm not sure. Came in handy when I lifted my jeep

I got a compressor from Kragen. It was free to borrow, but it was automotive sized and didn't fit perfectly. I made it work and didn't damage or scratch anything but it wasn't a pretty operation.