Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Sunday Nov 29

Somebody needs to plan a ride to entertain me...OW, Lark, Plaster Painted Gorge, Elevation, superstition

I don't want to decide but I want to ride...

I want to ride from Grapevine Canyon, Follow the San Felipe Wash and explore the Borrego Badlands.

Start at 9am ok?

sorry- meet at 9 where? overall timeline? plated bike, right?

My DRZ has a trials tire on the back right now, and my XRL has a street tire... not sure I will have time to swap a knobby before tomorrow morning... I'll try

Grapevine canyon is on the north side of hwy 78. About 5 miles East of S-2. On the south side is Plum canyon. It is easy to spot because there is a turn out for traffic. Places to park and a board with hiking trail information. On the north side is a dirt road that accesses camp sites and parking. Yes you do need a plated bike. I have only been there once. I just want to learn my way around the area. Ride dirt roads for about 4 hours. Here are the GPS coordinates to park. Check it out on Google Earth.

33° 7'44.34"

116°25'35.68"W

What ever you do, DO NOT PARK ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY in any spot that looks like parking along the beginning of Grapevine. You will get an expensive ticket for parking "in a wilderness area on vegetation".

Yeah....just ask me how I know. :)

Bill,

A friend and I are heading down to the dez Sunday. I will try to bend his will toward your ride.

That trail head parking is a fine start, if you want more "services" i.e. toilets and water, you can park two miles east Outside Tamarisk Grove campground, located at the next junction east.

The area you want to explore is fun stuff.

dagnabbit!!! Yeah; that's right... I said DAGNABBIT!!!

I got a band rehearsal called at 2 in the afternoon... not going to be able to go... sorry guys.

Bill; hopefully you and bags can hook up, so nobody is out there alone.

I will just jet out to Lark in the morning... you guys have fun

Bikeslut,

You're funny!

Bill,

CaptCham and I are meeting at the Julian Coffee & Tea next to the gas station in Julian 0800 for a quick breakfast and coffee. Target Grapevine 0900.

We will be parking at Tamarisk Grove ( so we have a potty) but can meet you in Grapevine Canyon if you park at the west end. We will head west when we saddle up and if you are heading east, we should meet. At that point we can direct to Old Borrego Rd and then to San Felipe Wash to Borrego Mtns.

I will meet you in Julian at 8:00. I will follow you. Dirt Dame says she received a $75.00 ticket parking where I intended to park.

See you tomorrow. If you need to reach me for any reason my cell phone is 760-877-8276. Looking forward to it.

Bill

I saw some snow in the mountains (Julian) on my way home tonight - be careful and have fun.

Snow from Jacumba to Pine Valley on the way back from Superstition tonight. Should make for a fun ride.

Snow shmow, i will ride on the moon if need be, see ya in Julian for tea and crumpets then off for a proper thrashing in the sand!!!

Borrego Mtns Sunday; High temp 67, wind 5-10 mph partly sunny.

See you gents in Julian with a jacket on.

Can't be any worse than it was today,.... ;) Good luck to you all.

Desert snow was tough but I had my snow tires,