Hi all,

I'm still not clear about the day and starting time of the ride. Saturday? I do not plan on camping and will come to the starting point of the ride. Is it going to be a loop to O. Wells and back? How long? Is it all fine on Dunlop 606 (sand dunes)?

Alex.

I believe the plan was to leave camp by 11am on Sat. morning (12/30) and do the loop to O/W. So, I would suggest for people to arrive around 10-10:30am. The total round trip from camp should be about 80-90 miles. There is gas at the blue inn (O/W) for those that need it for the return. The easiest and quickest rout for me is usually to head to the east end of superstion to the tower and down the tower road to pole line and then you hit the marked trails to O/W which consist of a mixture of washes and hard pack. Now, the east end of superstition has a couple of dune ridges to go over to get to the tower but that can be bypased by taking poleline road around superstition but poleline contains more woops and rocks. Thus, when we all meet at camp we can evaluate the bikes and skill levels and make a decision which ever way everybody feels more comfortable with. We will be stopping at intersections and tough spots to make sure everyone makes it through. :rolleyes:

Just to be clear... On New Years Day (Monday) i will be trailering out to Superstition... If Tree Group is gone by then, then we may need to find another tour guide. I'll be going out either way... So far we have Bikeslut, Morgan and mikeyb penciled in for Monday.

[The easiest and quickest rout for me is usually to head to the east end of superstion to the tower and down the tower road to pole line and then you hit the marked trails to O/W which consist of a mixture of washes and hard pack. Now, the east end of superstition has a couple of dune ridges to go over to get to the tower but that can be bypased by taking poleline road around superstition but poleline contains more woops and rocks. Thus, when we all meet at camp we can evaluate the bikes and skill levels and make a decision which ever way everybody feels more comfortable with. We will be stopping at intersections and tough spots to make sure everyone makes it through. :rolleyes:

Hey Tree, I was hoping to explore the BEST possible route to get to OW from Superstition for the Desert Dash dualsport ride, since I would like to prerun some routes to use on the ride. The easiest and quickest is not necessarily the best and most fun. I would like to stay away from the pole line road for the Desert Dash since it pretty much sucks.

Unless there are no better routes. I asking for your input here. The way we went last year was pretty good, but we used parts of the pole line, and a long wash from the paved road at northeast end of Superstition. I'm hoping to find something different and better. Please let me know what you think.

[The easiest and quickest rout for me is usually to head to the east end of superstion to the tower and down the tower road to pole line and then you hit the marked trails to O/W which consist of a mixture of washes and hard pack. Now, the east end of superstition has a couple of dune ridges to go over to get to the tower but that can be bypased by taking poleline road around superstition but poleline contains more woops and rocks. Thus, when we all meet at camp we can evaluate the bikes and skill levels and make a decision which ever way everybody feels more comfortable with. We will be stopping at intersections and tough spots to make sure everyone makes it through. :rolleyes:

Hey Tree, I was hoping to explore the BEST possible route to get to OW from Superstition for the Desert Dash dualsport ride, since I would like to prerun some routes to use on the ride. The easiest and quickest is not necessarily the best and most fun. I would like to stay away from the pole line road for the Desert Dash since it pretty much sucks.

Unless there are no better routes. I asking for your input here. The way we went last year was pretty good, but we used parts of the pole line, and a long wash from the paved road at northeast end of Superstition. I'm hoping to find something different and better. Please let me know what you think.

I agree pole line road pretty much sucks. The way I go we keep that to a minimum, but I believe portions of the washes are going to probably be a neccesity to take. We can map it out before we head out and take alternate routes on the way back to figure out the best trails for the ride. The planned starting and ending points for the desert dash will have to be factored in also. Maybe if you get to the camp a little early we can discuss which routes you'd like to try. I'm open for anything as long as it's not all wooped out or too flat. And by the term easiest I meant with my skill level on my 525 exc not necessarly a big dualsport with a less experienced rider. I really wouldn't consider any of the dunes easy on a dualsport (depending on the bike) and some people don't know how to handle sand very well.

Tree, sounds good to me. Yeah, I know we're going to have to do some sandwashes. That's OK by me and the experienced guys on the ride.

So, since we're going there and back on Saturday, we should be able to pick out a couple of good routes.

Sunday, I may ride the Squeeze and Dropoff to OW, then come back the Diablo Dropoff and Arroyo Seco Del Diablo back to Agua Caliente, if anyone's interested.

Thanks,

I love it when a plan comes together :P

Tree- See you tomorrow late A.M.

Rad- I'll give you a call on your cell tomorrow afternoon.

Others?- See you Saturday A.M.

:D

I have to replace a tire, then I'm in.

IN,

Jon

I just came across an auto repair that'll need to be done by next weekend. May run upwards of $2000.

I am officially OUT for this ride. Hope you have a great time.

Jon

** If anybody has a shop or garage and would like to tear apart half an engine with me, maybe I can get it done for less.

Copy of post from the New Year's Weekend topic........

OK, my 640 is running, started right up with a new battery after sitting for months. Had to do a few maintenance things, now she's ready to go.

So, here's the plan. I'm camping (I think Numbskull will also be with me) at Agua Caliente County Park on Hwy. S2 in the desert north of Ocotillo exit off I-8. Will leave the campsite Saturday morning about 8:00am the latest, ride some canyons and dirt down to Ocotillo. Then dirt to Superstition to find Rob (Ride Orange) and his crew.

Anyone who wants to meet to ride with me in the morning, can either meet at Agua Caliente group campsite at 8:00am the lastest, on S-2, or meet at the gas station/store on S-2 on north side of I-8 in Ocotillo at about 9:00-9:30am. We need an hour to explore trails to get to Rob's at Superstition.

Hope to see some of you.

My cell is 619-818-8746. Can't guarantee reception where I'm camping, but should have reception at Ocotillo and Superstition.

I will be riding from Campo and ariving at Ocotillo at 9-930(the usual south Texaco/76) . Anyone want to join me? :D

There were two rides in this post, 1 happened, 1 will. I will be at the 76/Texaco. Missed ya Saturday.

Change of plans for me. I took the bike for a test ride last night and it was running like crap. I had to take the carb off to clean it. Didn't get it back together last night, so I'll be out there later today, but will miss the ride with Ride Orange and his crew.

I'll be riding on Sunday and possibly Monday.

If I didn't know better I would say this was a hi-jack of a new years day ride post. But it can't be, I think some one is looking out for that kind of thing. Ken

I might try to join you Carguy, if I can manage to stay 'off the wagon' (or is it 'on the wagon') the night before. 2006 has been a great year for me and I might just have to celebrate a little. If I can make it monday morning, I'd need to get out to Campo around 8am or so, right ?

I might try to join you Carguy, if I can manage to stay 'off the wagon' (or is it 'on the wagon') the night before. 2006 has been a great year for me and I might just have to celebrate a little. If I can make it monday morning, I'd need to get out to Campo around 8am or so, right ?

8ish will work, party hardy and let's ride!! :D

Time for some clarification on this thread.

Bikeslut's at 7:30AM for those that want a hitch? Leave at 8:00AM and see if we can spot the group at the Ocotillo Gas Station? Then onto where to meet who (are they still there?)?

=====

Here's my new custom Desert Dash 2007 graphics:

Posted Image

(...shown here in pristine condition, in case I scrape them off this weekend... :) )

Cool GFX sandigoland!

It's looking like all hell (or heaven, depending on who you ask) is going to break loose down here tonight. I will ride tomorrow if I come out of it in one piece. Carguy, if I'm not there by around 8, that means I took a ride on the old wagon again, so don't wait for me. Thanks broham.

See ya'll out on the trails next year . . . .

RIDE ON AMIGOS !

Since Bob is going to have a dirt bike with, he will need to unload North of the highway on dirt, or drive to the dip and miss all the dirt between.

I will still meet at the old 76/new Texaco to gasup at 9-930. I was going to ride dirt to Rob's at the dip. Leaving Texaco at 930. If your going to join, gearup by then. There are a few miles of dirt to get there. Should meet Rob by 1030-11.

PM me if confused.

PM me if confused.

I'm going to stop by Bikeslut's in the morning and try to shuttle on the truck. If he has to blow past Ocotillo I'll leave you a VM on your cell so you don't expect us.

PM me if confused.

I'm going to stop by Bikeslut's in the morning and try to shuttle on the truck. If he has to blow past Ocotillo I'll leave you a VM on your cell so you don't expect us.

That's cool, and the 930 rule will be a short wait to thaw out and lose some gear. See ya on the trail. :)