sdmxr

Which Dual sport would you ride if you were 6'5", +380lbs?

Which Dual sport would you ride if you were 6'5", +380lbs? My brother has been considering purchasing a dual sport bike, he currently rides a '97 CR500. He's been riding for 5-6yrs and likes to take it slow and easy on fire roads and single-track. We often ride the PV-Corral Canyon area (fire roads, and green/blue single-track) and McCain. He believes he wants a XR650XL (liquid-cooled) vs the XR650L - however, they seem to be in short-supply, why is that? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sdmxr

Which Dual sport would you ride if you were 6'5", +380lbs?

any bike I wanted to... I'd just smack somebody off theirs, and ride it

Which Dual sport would you ride if you were 6'5", +380lbs? My brother has been considering purchasing a dual sport bike, he currently rides a '97 CR500. He's been riding for 5-6yrs and likes to take it slow and easy on fire roads and single-track. We often ride the PV-Corral Canyon area (fire roads, and green/blue single-track) and McCain. He believes he wants a XR650XL (liquid-cooled) vs the XR650L - however, they seem to be in short-supply, why is that? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sdmxr

I think you mean the XR650R which is liquid cooled, vs the XR650L which is air-cooled... the reason they are in short supply is, if it has a plate, it is a great bike for anza borrego and baja... a tad heavy, but he's no featherweight himself... with all due respect kind sir...

so: a big bore thumper is a great choice... he'll like the grunt of a 650... any bike will need suspension for his weight, and bar risers for his height... a plated XR650R is a great choice

I'm sure the pumpkin people have an opinion too...

Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamahaha don't have anything to offer that comes with a plate... some people have success with making a WR 450 street legal... that is my next bike... but I'm am a svelte 210

.. a tad heavy, but he's no featherweight himself... with all due respect kind sir...

Stays between us, unless he visits the SDAR site.

I'm sure the pumpkin people have an opinion too...

I would think that it would have to be something larger than the 530exc, especially given the cooling issues.

Maybe a 690 like Schwinn and Bagster......

What's the earliest year you would go with for the 690?

If money is not a problem I would take the KTM 950 Super Enduro. I have been kicking around the idea of picking 1 up.

If money is not a problem I would take the KTM 950 Super Enduro. I have been kicking around the idea of picking 1 up.

Could ya pick up one of these for me while you're out? Thanks!

690advgaul3.jpg

Could ya pick up one of these for me while you're out? Thanks!

690advgaul3.jpg

I would never give you that color combo, that is gross. It would have to be blacked out

I would never give you that color combo, that is gross. It would have to be blacked out

You sir are not only a gentleman, but a scholar. I like your style :good:

All black, with the logo's and print in a dark metallic grey?!?

I'm 6'5" 255 and I'm pushing the limits on the KTM 525. Everone says it looks like a small bike when I'm on it. If I weighed more and considering the type of riding your brother does I would go for the XR650R and get it to Precision Concepts before you even take it out. And don't forget the ergonomics- bar risers, tall handle bar bend, tall seat, lowboy foot pegs all will help make it a comfortable ride. I hate to recomend Big Red but all things considered that's the way i'd go. :good:

I'm certainly close in height but not weight!!! I would recommend an XR650R or a KTM Super Enduro if he can afford it. With either bike he's going to need suspension. If he gets the XR650R he'll want to keep an eye on the swing arm and shock linkage and make sure he keeps them well lubed.

Any twin cylinder machine.

But then again, I remember a guy from the Team Dual Dogs days, he was huge......and very overweight, and he only rode a DR350 !

Where are those pics of EX-QB on my street legal Honda CRF 450R. He is 6 ft 8" and made my crf look like a 50. There is pics under coral canyon and april fools ride somewhere. :good:

Husky 610 is a great option, if you can find one. Mine came stock sprung for someone alot larger than me. I'm 6' 210 and an intermidiate rider and I have the spring, and all the settings backed all the way out.

I'm in North County and he's welcome to throw a leg over it if he would like.

Husky 610 is a great option, if you can find one. Mine came stock sprung for someone alot larger than me. I'm 6' 210 and an intermidiate rider and I have the spring, and all the settings backed all the way out.

I forgot to mention that EX-QB rides a Husky 610 also and is enjoying it.

Husky 610 is a great bike.........similar option is the KTM 690.

Or a KTM 620/640 Adventure, like Crawdaddy's.....or if they EVER bring the new 690 Adventure to the states.

That's a beaut.........that's the 690, yes ?

Yeah 690 Enduro converted to an Adventure

This is a 525 Adv

kw02.jpg

kw01.jpg

kw03.jpg

That's a beaut.........that's the 690, yes ?

Yeah 690 Enduro converted to an Adventure

Whatever :wacko:

Some people choose to pay ~$12K+ for the new fangled imitations .......

I was more than happy to fly to CO. and slap down slap down a few grand for the ORIGINAL ORANGE ADVENTURE MACHINE :rolleyes::)

100_0566.jpg

(wish it still looked that clean :o:lol: ......if you're gonna ride a pig, this is a fun one to ride!!!)

I'm 6'5" 255 and I'm pushing the limits on the KTM 525. Everone says it looks like a small bike when I'm on it. If I weighed more and considering the type of riding your brother does I would go for the XR650R and get it to Precision Concepts before you even take it out. And don't forget the ergonomics- bar risers, tall handle bar bend, tall seat, lowboy foot pegs all will help make it a comfortable ride. I hate to recomend Big Red but all things considered that's the way i'd go. :)

Thanks for the input Tree.

Thanks Tracy, he might just take you up on it. The Husky 610 is a dual sport?

Sdmxr