KTMrad

Suggestions to Help Improve Our Site & Forums

Maybe we should start a Jo momma forum here. It's been brought up before and all the replies were against a Jo momma on SDAR. I just wanted to bring it up again and throw in my 2 cents.

I don't think we should do it because we just don't have the same level of talent here. Some of the posters on Jo momma on the advrider website take making insults to an art form. I think we're best off keeping SDAR for local rides and info. Anyone who wants to have a flame war can just sign up for advrider and post away on Jo momma. Here's the link for anyone who doesn't already know about it.

http://www.advrider.com/

I vote against a "Jo Momma" section... (also, i think Jo Momma is a "members only" section of the advrider site) I for one, read jo Momma, and am sometimes amused, but I like the brothership at SDAR. ALMOST no attitude here, just a bunch of guys appreciating riding. Thumpertalk can get attitude, also.

Here's my idea on the Jo Momma thing and keeping certain topics, etc. out of our forums here at SDAR.

I like to send out links to people, friends and even family about ride write-ups. Some people have filters on their computers....especially at their work place, that won't allow them to open some sites that have certain topics, words, discussions, photos, etc.

I sent my sister a link to some of my trip write-ups on another site, and she couldn't open the link due to content on that site, but was able to open the links on SDAR. So, I'd like to keep it clean, the way it's been here, for that reason....and the reasons some of you have mentioned already.

Our dualsport community in San Diego is never going to be as big as some of the other sites, and seems most people here like the direction we are following on these forums.

Also, the original intention of SDAR was to have a site for people to meet and talk about riding, to promote informal rides, to promote dualsport in a positive way, to promote participation in Land Use and Land Closure Issues, and to promote organized, sanctioned dualsport rides.

Sound good ??

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I think you should start a new forum for advanced riders. One of my friends sugested (SDAR-HC)

San Diego Adventure Riders-Hard Core.

Craig.

I think it's been brought up before but I saw nothing in this topic about a Spell Checker so we can correct our posts before "Add Reply"?

Also, perhaps I'm overlooking it but I see no way to "Un-subscribe" to a topic.

I would also like a forum where people could go to volunteer to help me. My bikes need maintenance like everyone's: Oil, chain, valves, tires - you know what I mean. People could go to the forum and let me know when they're available. If enough people did so there would be someone at my beck and call just about any time and that would be great. After becoming organized, most volunteers would get the idea that it's also good to bring groceries and yard maintenance equipment. I'm just saying ...

I think it's been brought up before but I saw nothing in this topic about a Spell Checker so we can correct our posts before "Add Reply"?

This would save me endless hours on just one post! :lol: I hope this can happen. ;)

This would save me endless hours on just one post! :lol: I hope this can happen. ;)

Until that happens, try this:

http://spellcheck.net/

Cut & Paste your text into this on-line spell-checker, correct your spelling, then Cut & Paste back to the SDAR dialogue box.

Until that happens, try this:

http://spellcheck.net/

Cut & Paste your text into this on-line spell-checker, correct your spelling, then Cut & Paste back to the SDAR dialogue box.

Better yet - download and install Firefox as your web browser: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

It's totally free, quite a bit more secure that MS Internet Explorer (I make my son use it - pretty much necessary the way he clicks around on the internet) and has a built-in spell checker for all your web input forms. You'll see the little red underlining as you're typing to indicate the word isn't in the dictionary. Right click on the underlined words and it'll suggest replacements - like most of today's word processing programs.

There is no spell checker available with the Forum software, so we will not be adding a spell checker........is correct spelling for these forums really that important ? :friends:

As others pointed out, there are other forms of spell checkers available.

Thanks,

Just thinking out loud here.

Recently, Bagstr started a thread about riding a big bike with 400 to 650 cc bikes that most of the people here have. Maybe start a forum just for big bikes?

Just thinking out loud here.

Recently, Bagstr started a thread about riding a big bike with 400 to 650 cc bikes that most of the people here have. Maybe start a forum just for big bikes?

I ride a big bike myself, and don't feel the need for a separate forum (unless general consensus states otherwise). This website is for all types of bikes and adventure riding. There's only a handful of riders who ride the Adventure Bikes here.

Thanks for the input.

Editing and Bumping

Recently reread a thread and noticed the first post had changed (been edited). Really would've liked to have known the info, but the thread doesn't show up as having any activity.

Please, if you change/edit info in the first post (date of a ride, time, or whatever reason) please bump the thread with a NEW reply so it shows at the bottom and will be picked up by the "View New Post" button. This will show that something has changed in the thread and should be read (thats if you keep current on everything). Hope this makes sense......

Spyder

Admin

if this isnt the place for this post let me know or feel free to move it to where you needs it to be....

Does the site have a page that has Member suggested businesses? Or do members have their own businesses that they could have listed somewhere? I'm referring to things from recommended bike shops, repairs, work, gear, etc. Maybe even if a guy on the forum has a Tree Trimming service. I'd sure rather spend my money for services of a member here than some random Joe.

Just a thought ;)

(I dunno if that has been mentioned already)

Strega, thanks for the input. There has been some discussion of this lately, and we will put up a new forum section for member related businesses.

Strega, thanks for the input. There has been some discussion of this lately, and we will put up a new forum section for member related businesses.

That sounds nice, but wouldn't a forum just spread that info out even more? Think there's anyway to consolidate that to one page? Or, I wouldn't mind hosting all that information with a link from here if that would work too.

Feel free to click my site link in my sig, mostly MX related stuff.

Little typo, landing page ...who ride street legal motorycles...

should be, at least for me, motorcycles

no biggie. :unsure:

Little typo, landing page ...who ride street legal motorycles...

should be, at least for me, motorcycles

no biggie. :unsure:

You've just been "outed"... by yourself... get some turn signals on that thing

No suggestions from me... Although I can offer to help out with any technical or design aspects of the site to help make suggestions reality. I can host, program, config etc. Let me know if any help is ever needed.

I know first hand the work that goes into an online community and definitely appreciate this one.

No suggestions from me... Although I can offer to help out with any technical or design aspects of the site to help make suggestions reality. I can host, program, config etc. Let me know if any help is ever needed.

I know first hand the work that goes into an online community and definitely appreciate this one.

I've got a lil project going that I'll share with ya on the design aspect.

I want to send money to SDAR as a donation.

How can I do so?

fn

Still want to send a donation. KTMtalk has a system for this with different levels, I think it works well. This is a valuable resource for me- how can I return the favor?

fn

How can I do so?

fn

Still want to send a donation. KTMtalk has a system for this with different levels, I think it works well. This is a valuable resource for me- how can I return the favor?

fn

I'll send you a PM with the addy... The official donation site is in Alpine; just drop it off in the mailbox

How can I do so?

fn

fn

I'll send you a PM with the addy... The official donation site is in Alpine; just drop it off in the mailbox

Dont be taken in by the slut, The address is actually in Spring Valley... Pm is on its way!