Okay here is the initial plan. Drive up to Troy Meadows overflow camp on Tuesday, August 11th and stay till Friday, the 14th or later. That gives everybody at least about 2 1/2 days for trail riding.

Takes about 5 to 6 hours of driving. 225 miles from Escondido, leave no later than 7:30 am from there.

Red, green stickered bikes, plated bikes, spark arrestors. Fishing gear optional. Not so sure the Kern will be very fishy due to a lack of stocking.

Night time temps in the 40s/50s. Last July day temps were in the 70s. May be campfire restrictions.

Riding at 7000 to over 9000 feet in elevation. Get ready to be tired and also rejet if need be.

Trails are intermediate at least, but there are lots of jeep roads and most trails are marked as to the level of difficulty.

No cell phone coverage, fuel, food or services as this is a very remote area. Be in good health and make sure your bike is also.

Beautiful scenery. Hopefully rain too. Camp is at 7800 ft elevation. Has one outhouse and one water spigot.

We can meet in North County. Last year we met at my place and people who were carpooling left their vehicles on my driveway.

Let the planning begin.

If all goes as planned with me now that I have the dates I will let my office know of vacation time. The trailer will take 4 motorcycles and their owners. These people will be expected to pay for gas and if we have to pay for camping. The trailer is self contained but full hookups is nice. I also have 1 of those self contained fire places, a real one that is legal not a washer tub. The trailer has plenty of room for everything you want to bring, even the kitchen sink if need be. The trlr is equiped with removable wheel chocks by " pingel " I have used these for years for harleys all the way to sturgis, nothing mickey mouse.Once we are camped the trlr can sleep quite a few, 2 california kings, 3 doubles, and 1 queen bed up front usually reserved for the wife cuz of privacy and locking door to keep us kids out but I have told Dirt Dame Mimi its her room. Of course I will bring Sandwiches for fun.

Schwinn,

Last year, and I expect this year, we set up in the overflow area. We went there because there wasn't a camping fee and the campsites were bigger for the toyhauler and RV that came along. I believe the only services there are toilets and potable water. There are no hookups whatsoever. The location was ideal and the downfall to not paying for a campsite was the fire restrictions. We weren't allowed to have a campfire, anyway, anyhow. It did put a slight tarnish to the experience, but overall it was better than the much smaller pay sites.

I'd be glad to pitch in for gas and whatnot for a ride and lodging up there. I'll bring the movies.

Hopefully, there still won't be any camping fees for the overflow sites. Ya never know, with the state's budget on the fritz. :ph34r:

Hopefully, there still won't be any camping fees for the overflow sites. Ya never know, with the state's budget on the fritz. :ph34r:

No big deal. Don't tell anyone but I kinda felt like we stole the campground after we left. It was so nice there I couldn't believe there wasn't any fees.

I'll see if i can get a hallpass to take the time off work I really enjoyed the pics from last year!

Damn, unless things change at work I can't take any time off. Always wanted to ride up there. We'll see!

I am going to try and make it... probably drive up separately, and sleep in my trailer... I'd love to watch movies in the Schwinn Inn, though. I'll bring a green sticker, and the DRZ

Darn....those dates are tough for me....but I'd really love to get up there. ..I've frequented the kern area for many many years, but never rode up there..

my best effort would be to arrive late Thursday night and spend the weekend 13-16...perhaps if some of you are staying the weekend, the weekday workers could come in a second wave?

Darn....those dates are tough for me....but I'd really love to get up there. ..I've frequented the kern area for many many years, but never rode up there..

my best effort would be to arrive late Thursday night and spend the weekend 13-16...perhaps if some of you are staying the weekend, the weekday workers could come in a second wave?

I'm taking some vacation time... I assume the trails will be pretty empty during the week, so it is worth it to me.

Sadly, not everybody can do the same dates, but we like weekdays because the campsites and trails are pretty empty. Probably be some people staying for the weekend. There is a lot of time between now and then to see who and when etc.

here is a link to the NFS ohv map for that area...might be helpful.....I may venture up there before august if there are no weekenders......looks soooo cool..

current high temps this week were not even 70 degrees...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreation...cm_ohv_map.html

I would think we will definitely have some people who will either stay the weekend or go up later at least midweek but I could be wrong

we shalll see.....i would take the time off in a heart beat, but i'm off work the week before for 9 day mission trip to jamaica with my daughter and some other church friends...just tough back to back....can't afford to get fired....I will make it there this year one way or another...it's at the top of my destination list...

I've never seen so many black diamond trails in one area :ph34r:

we shalll see.....i would take the time off in a heart beat, but i'm off work the week before for 9 day mission trip to jamaica with my daughter and some other church friends...just tough back to back....can't afford to get fired....I will make it there this year one way or another...it's at the top of my destination list...

I've never seen so many black diamond trails in one area :lol:

summer colds are the worst :ph34r:

I've never seen so many black diamond trails in one area :lol:

Yes, it helps if you like rocks a lot. :ph34r:

like them better in a drink than in my helmet!...it does look like there are plenty of nice places to ride for more intermediate types like me...

After talking to Schwinn I think I will try to sleep in the Schwinn in but currently am driving up myself. Is there anyone else especially in North County that is looking to Carpool or have carpool room? I don't mind driving myself but figured I would ask.

For those of us not bringing a toybox whats the recommendation on bringing foodstuffs and beer/camping gear etc and the like?

Do we just pay for camping spots or do we also have to pay for parking/adventure pass type stuff?

The camping spots were free last year. If we stayed in the pay to camp spots, Schwinns motorhome probably wouldn't fit and we would have to pay about 17 dollars a night. I don't know about the adventure passes, but it wouldn't hurt to have one for each parked vehicle with us.

Looks like I might be "forced" to go up to oakhurst/basslake/yosemite the weekend before this (7-9th) so I just might have to take all week off work and meet you guys there driving down from Oakhurst

The trip is now a little less than a month off. So far it looks like Jeff and myself, Schwinn and Pasta Pilot are for sures and Jaynen and Bikeslut are maybes. There are also a couple of maybes from Cafe Husky who I am looking forward to having join up with us. Anybody else who would like to go, chime in now, so I can get a feel for the size of the group that will be going. :lol: It looks like a pretty manageable group of riders so far.

I'm a pretty solid "maybe" with just a few things in the works to move around to make it happen! Jason, if you want to pool up lets talk

I am going as my boss didn't say no (well either the one at work or home lol). Just you Tracy or bringing the boys? I need to figure out if I am going up then coming back down from Oakhurst or going straight there but we are bringing our friends up and going into Yosemite so I think the wife would prefer it if i don't haul all my stuff up there.

I am going as my boss didn't say no (well either the one at work or home lol). Just you Tracy or bringing the boys? I need to figure out if I am going up then coming back down from Oakhurst or going straight there but we are bringing our friends up and going into Yosemite so I think the wife would prefer it if i don't haul all my stuff up there.

At this point probably just me. Maybe my Son. I would like to invite Brad just a little concerned that the riding up there may be a bit over his head. I can take my motorhome but would prefer to travel light and just camp.