Sign in to follow this  
Jaynen

Cheap track bike for improving skills?

I want to be a better rider. It's actually one of the things I really want to do but I want to learn how to ride a lot of different types of riding. With the (almost) complete set of 17" wheels for my dual sport I am looking forward to learning more about handling the bike on the street and even some supermoto.

One of the big things that I keep feeling would help me a lot in general is being able ride a circuit so i can try things and get more comfortable through repetition. Because of this I would like to do at least some track riding to feel more comfortable with jumping and the like. While I can remove blinkers and strip the WRR down I know it is less than ideal. My other 250F which I will probably get rid of is lighter but I think its suspension is more trail oriented (could just be settings tho)

I've been thinking of getting a 2t since they are cheap to run cheap to buy and lightweight. I have also heard they are good for building skills because you have to use the clutch a lot and keep it in the powerband. A 250 would seem about right but I am not sure.

I'd like to be able to ride vet tracks like the one at Pala, take the bike on green sticker rides out in the desert as a change of pace and maybe get one old enough to do post vintage stuff too for something to dabble in. Especially with the older bikes I am not sure when the tech got to the point where you can ride a modern vet track or if thats going to be asking too much as a rider who is learning to want to do it on an older machine?

A 250 2 stroke is still alot of bike.

There is a reason that 125 2 strokes are alowed to race with 250 4 strokes and the same

250 2 strokes race with the 450 4 strokes and your guess for a 500 2 stroke :lol:

I thought that was not the case anymore 250 2t can race with 250 4t because the technology has come along so far there isnt a real advantage. I think I would want a bit more bike than my WRR on a track but maybe I am wrong

With older bikes how big are the jumps tech wise between drum and disc brakes?

water vs air cool?

Suspension seems like the big one even going dual shock to mono has to be huge but linkage is when things got a lot more travel?

If you are under 200 pounds a 125 two stroke would probably work great for a track bike. You can get them all day on craigslist for around $1500 less than ten years old.

I am about 170 right now, but part of me like I mentioned was thinking of getting something post vintage since thats probably the only type of "racing" i could ever see getting myself up too on a track. And I didn't know if a 125 would be way too small for taking out to play in the desert.

Seems like you can get 250 2t cheaper than a lot of the 125's

Maybe I am silly and I should just take my 4t trail bike or the WRR on the track

I think you'd be happier on a modern suspended bike. Otherwise just take your WR out there, about the same on the track as a post vintage bike.

This one is a good deal if you don't mind the red sticker.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1236142862.html

I'd like green sticker but I am not sure its a really big deal? since my plated bike can go anywhere anyway

Looking at a review for the 05 YZ125 that won a shootout it has less power than my WRR but it also weighs almost 100lbs less so I guess maybe it would still have more zip. I want to learn and enjoy the experience like I said I want it to be a training tool for my riding ability so if 125 really isnt going to be too small maybe I should consider it

track bikes can be red sticker, and still ride year round...

power to weight, and the power delivery is probably much better on a small smoker, and like you said: repetition will allow you to work on your skills, and the lower weight will help keep you fresh.

I know a certain Chief Gunner who might be convinced to sell a 125cc Husky.......

Haha true I forgot about the his girl's husky since he wants to get her a plated bike

I rode that bike a few years back when Tree owned it, the Husky has plenty of beans to get you around the desert.

my brother has a husky '06 cr125 2smoke... We are both bigger guys, especially my brother, and it'll move around just fine.

Jason, I think is coll to now say I own a Husky. But what a pain I'm having getting any after parts. I just drop a ton of cash on a clutch basket. Yamaha YZ 125 have been pretty much the same like thur 99-03 and you can pick them up anytime. I did a complete new top end for just over 400. If you want to try our's at the track lets go. I'm in Oregon now and will be back July 11th. Oh yea they say than a small bore bike is the best trainning tool.Kelly

Jason, I think is coll to now say I own a Husky. But what a pain I'm having getting any after parts. I just drop a ton of cash on a clutch basket. Yamaha YZ 125 have been pretty much the same like thur 99-03 and you can pick them up anytime. I did a complete new top end for just over 400. If you want to try our's at the track lets go. I'm in Oregon now and will be back July 11th. Oh yea they say than a small bore bike is the best trainning tool.Kelly

I forgot you had a "modern" 125 for your daughter. Post some pics soon from Hodakadays

I've ridden a yz125 (my next door neighbor has one and would probably sell it to you for 1000$) and I've ridden a yz250(2T) (a guy from otb has one), and I used to own a yamaha TTR250 four stroke. Frankly I felt the 125 was pretty gutless even on hard packed hills (kernan). Its OK on flatter terrain, but it bogs easy on hills. My TTR250 had way more torque then the yz125 and that bike was a slug. There is no way you are going out to superstition on a 125 and going cruising around on the sand dunes without having the throttle pinned non stop. I'm guessing a deep sand wash would pretty much be full throttle non stop too on a 125.

The yz250 is a different story, the dunes were no problem for it and thats pretty much going to tax the bike as hard as anything.

My wife just got a ktm 200 exc that has a 6 speed and weighs the same as a 125 but has way more juice. it was very cheap and in great shape. Its got enough power to get you up the biggest hills you could ever want to go up and it feels like a toy compared to a 4 stroke.

I'll probably take some flack from the rest of the crew, but this is just my honest opinion. I suggest you get at least a 200 if you are gonna get a 2 stroke. I'm a power junkie though so your results may vary...

good luck and you are welcome to try my wife or I's 2 strokes

Actually, one of the best bikes for improving skills is the Trials bike.

Seems funny that going slow would improve your basic skills but it does. It's also great for conditioning, it's much more physically demanding than it looks.

The problem is the bikes aren't that easy to find, and usually not that inexpensive - maybe $2500 if you can find one.

Just thought I'd toss that out there . . .

Trials is another bike with another set of skills that I would like to own at some point, but the primary focus of this next bike is for track then desert as something different from the dual sport. I know you can learn a lot of bike control from trials so thats on the list of to do at some point.

The 200 are usually more 2stroke trailbikes right? so are they still super light and track capable? I did read something someone said about the KDX200/220's and they can be made into good track bikes

I really want to be more comfortable on cornering with the bike, better able to handle whoops, comfortable jumping the bike in appropriate situations etc so I feel like a lot of my stumbling blocks offroad can be worked on on the track with some repetitiion.

My WRR is fun to ride and has enough beans to get me around fine but there is no real huge rush so part of me does want a little more power. I always said to myself I would keep the WRR and on the 250F until I could master that bike rather than just going bigger as soon as I could handle it, but this bike will be for a different purpose

The 200 are usually more 2stroke trailbikes right? so are they still super light and track capable? I did read something someone said about the KDX200/220's and they can be made into good track bikes

The KDX makes a mediocre track bike. A better enduro choice for the track would be any size KTM EXC two stroke. The best choice is a two stroke MX bike, which is easier to make into a good trail bike than trying to make a trail bike the other way around.

The KDX makes a mediocre track bike. A better enduro choice for the track would be any size KTM EXC two stroke. The best choice is a two stroke MX bike, which is easier to make into a good trail bike than trying to make a trail bike the other way around.

That's my impression as well. But now I am all over the place between 125/250/200 you name it <_< there seems to be just as many "cheap" 250's as 125's

That's my impression as well. But now I am all over the place between 125/250/200 you name it ;) there seems to be just as many "cheap" 250's as 125's

A 250 will have better low end power, where as a 125 will need to have the throttle mostly open which is lots of fun on the track or where you can ride wide open in the desert. Not so much fun when you are ready to mosey or pick your way through technical stuff. That's why I pick a 250. I have an 85 for the track and it's a blast as long as it's pinned. I'm trying to tune it to be more tractable, but will probably not be able to make it very civilized on the trail. Still, at 145 pounds, making it more trail worthy seems like a reasonable project.

I just bought a kickstand, 3 gallon tank and a flywheel for my KX250, and later I will get lights and a lighting coil. Then I'll have a KDX/KX250. <_<

this is relating to the 125 in the dez issue raised previously.

I just wanted to throw another wrench in the works,,,,,please see this link below and look at John's photo with his OEM Stock Husky CR125..........he carries the Mag Expert class (50) AMA H&H nat #1 plate for 2008 in a class that allows unlimited cc range.

Never tell John or me for that matter that engine size matters when skimming across the dez (among the amateur ranks, pros are another story).

PS his son Matt who my size (215-220) is leading the expert (A) class in 09 on a OEM stock CR125 in AMA Nat H&H.

http://gpmotorcycles.com/photos.php

see Matt Kearney HSQ (CR125)

http://home.ama-cycle.org/raceresults/narr...7&year=2009

I believe Matt overalled our local Nat H&H somewhere near the top 20 on his 125!!!!

PS Italians build fierce 2 strokes (Husky, TM, Minarelli etc)

I have no doubt that a good rider can haul on a 125, and I have heard a lot of people say you learn a lot from riding one but I think you learn a lot just for the reasons Spaugh mentioned because you have to ride them hard on the pipe to get them to go. Cheap and fun to go over to Pala and learn a lot by going often are the main goals, desert would be nice though just to have something to augment the stable.

Pala is only 30 minutes from me so its pretty appealing and I have friends who go over almost every friday and a boss who wants to go before work someday

Italian bikes are awesome because europe never gave up on the 2 stroke but being able to find one cheap or parts might be the problem then

I am sure they are way different but I already have a 2003 DRZ-250 which is a 250F with E-start in the garage that i am getting the tags fixed on. Its not a MX bike but power wise I would think they would be similar? I need to sell it/trade it before I can get another bike anyway, or sell the Wife's quad and the bike and get her another bike + a new toy for me

J,

those new 250F MX, enduro mounts are very fast yet easy to ride. There is not much comparison to a an OEM DS type ride (250F). Get a ride on a late model MX type 250F or on a WR type competition enduro 250 4stk to help form your feel/opinion. R