Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Lark Canyon 06/21/09

We have been blessed with some nice weather so far for June and it was no different today out at McCain Valley. Mildly warm and very sunny, breezy as usual. Actually it was almost kinda cool at 8:00 in the morning. Too bad I had to drag my sleepy self :lazy: out of bed at 5:00 to get awake and fed and take the hour and a half drive to get there, but it was a ride not to be missed, I'd say. ;) Besides, I had all my new stickers on the Husky and all my new Husky riding gear that all needed an inaugural ride. Bikeslut, DRZrider, Daveb, Amgems and Jbw were already there when I pulled up. So was Robertaccio and his kids, and so was everybody else in the world; lots of people out enjoying a day of recreation and barbecueing. As usual, most of them stayed around the staging area and left the trails to us.

Robert left his daughters to ride in the staging area to go on a brief ride with our group, then we regrouped and did the singletrack at the end of McCain Valley road, recrossed the main riding area, lost Bikeslut and DRZ (they had to leave early), then did another short loop finishing up around 11:30. People were still arriving and we decided to leave while we still could without having our vehicles inadvertently getting boxed in. I stopped for my usual chocolate and ice cream fixes along the way home. ;)

Getting ready to roll.

100_1991.jpg

Group shot. Looks like Amgems has a little person growing out of his helmet. :lol:

100_1992.jpg

Me shot with new long awaited Husky duds, helmet and 80 dollar Forma boots from Atomic Moto.

100_1997.jpg

Trail shots; Daveb and DRZ

100_1993.jpg

followed by Amgems,

100_1994.jpg

Jbw and Bikeslut.

100_1995.jpg

It was another fun day of riding with people I know and meeting new members. No major problems, a couple of minor getoffs within the group and I nearly got my head ripped off, :o helmet first by an ornery tree branch, thus putting the first scratches in my brand new Fox helmet, but a fine time overall. And I finally got to ride with Robertaccio (a little bit). :lol:

DRZ and I left about 10:30... The crowds had started arriving, and you could see where it was going (downhill) guys on full size bikes buzzing up and down the wash, hitting the little jump, and a couple of two year olds riding an electric quad back and forth... Parents looking for an 8 year old (" I don't know what color his bike is, but have you seen him?!?!")

I'll try to get there even earlier next time. I didn't see anybody else on the trails (except my near miss head on with my own (borrowed) bike)... But we saw at least 4 more bikes heading out there as we were leaving.

One more note, plus I'm changing my sig line... Wait for the rider behind you at every intersection! This is very important!!! Almost as important as realizing when YOU are the last guy in the group ;)

Next time we'll go at 0 dark thirty!

;)

Guess I'll have to go camping to make it on time.

I wouldn't mind camping there! I know Robert does it... I'll bring out my enclosed trailer with futon and porta-potty... Not exactly a toy hauler, but better than a tent.

Amgems and josh; nice to meet you!

And lurkers are always welcome

DRZ and I left about 10:30... The crowds had started arriving, and you could see where it was going (downhill) guys on full size bikes buzzing up and down the wash, hitting the little jump, and a couple of two year olds riding an electric quad back and forth... Parents looking for an 8 year old (" I don't know what color his bike is, but have you seen him?!?!")

I'll try to get there even earlier next time. I didn't see anybody else on the trails (except my near miss head on with my own (borrowed) bike)... But we saw at least 4 more bikes heading out there as we were leaving.

One more note, plus I'm changing my sig line... Wait for the rider behind you at every intersection! This is very important!!! Almost as important as realizing when YOU are the last guy in the group ;)

Yes, when you are the last rider it's important to realize it. I swear when we started I was waved on by a fellow rider, so I thought someone was behind me. Whoever it was feel free to save my bacon here. Anyways thanks to bike slut for the borrowed bikes(rode the DRZ and WR), had an awesome time as has been the case for the two time I have come out. I learn something ne everytime I do. Definetly getting into the whole dirtbiking scene and really enjoy the camaraderie between the guys and of course mimi can't forget her. See you next time, DRZ

How many miles you guys get in today, looks like a great ride sorry I missed it ;)

I don't think anybody kept track of mileage

Wait for the rider behind you at every intersection! This is very important!!!

Word.

ironic to say the least lol

Sounds like a great day overall. Mimi gets the style points as usual.

I say "if you can't go fast, at least you can look good doing it." ;):lol:

I had to spend a little time with the plastic polish and a cloth to get all the tree branch scratches off the helmet when I got home.

Great ride. Really nice to meet everybody. My odo said we did a little over 35 miles. Those little people coming out of my head are the ones who provide the voices that tell me what to do. They leave when I go riding. That was a lucky shot to actually catch one on film. When we were riding down the road by the bee hives a bee or two nailed me in the nose. I thought they just smashed into me then fell off. Well, this morning I woke up with a big red W.C. Fields nose. Got stung by the little guys. After staring at my inflamed nose for a while in the mirror this morning I'm starting to think this look works for me. When we used to ride there, we would grab one of the campsites. Just use it for the day. You have to pay like $7, but it helps avoid the crowd of knuckle heads at the tree. Just food for thought. Can't wait for the next time. Thanks every one.

Those little people coming out of my head are the ones who provide the voices that tell me what to do. They leave when I go riding. That was a lucky shot to actually catch one on film. When we were riding down the road by the bee hives a bee or two nailed me in the nose. I thought they just smashed into me then fell off. Well, this morning I woke up with a big red W.C. Fields nose. Got stung by the little guys.

Maybe it was one of the "little people" snuck out while you were asleep and punched you in the nose just for a prank! :o;):lol: :lol:

One more note, plus I'm changing my sig line... Wait for the rider behind you at every intersection! This is very important!!! Almost as important as realizing when YOU are the last guy in the group :)

Yes, when you are the last rider it's important to realize it. I swear when we started I was waved on by a fellow rider, so I thought someone was behind me. Whoever it was feel free to save my bacon here. Anyways thanks to bike slut for the borrowed bikes(rode the DRZ and WR), had an awesome time as has been the case for the two time I have come out. I learn something ne everytime I do. Definetly getting into the whole dirtbiking scene and really enjoy the camaraderie between the guys and of course mimi can't forget her. See you next time, DRZ

Yes DRZrider, you did have someone behind you at the start, it was me. I just assumed you guys saw me go past you, I didn't take a short cut or anything like that. I apologize to everyone for causing the mix up in the beginning. It will not happen again.

Had a great time again [even if I did eat some dirt]. Look forward to riding with you again.

Yes DRZrider, you did have someone behind you at the start, it was me. I just assumed you guys saw me go past you, I didn't take a short cut or anything like that. I apologize to everyone for causing the mix up in the beginning. It will not happen again.

Had a great time again [even if I did eat some dirt]. Look forward to riding with you again.

Well, don't feel too bad about it. It was kind of confusing at the beginning of the first loop. At one point, I mistakenly thought that I was the last person, too. As for dirt snacks; everybody gets to have one of those from time to time. :)

:)

Yes; I did have a tipover on the singletrack; came around a blind corner to find 4 guys in the trail... Didn't quite hammer anybody... But just barely

I had to spend a little time with the plastic polish and a cloth to get all the tree branch scratches off the helmet when I got home.

I had the same thing happen with a fairly new Shoei last year. I nailed a tree branch with the top of my head up here at Keysville. Had to purchase a new visor. Knocked me off the bike too.

Amgems told me about the ride Saturday night. I grew up riding up there. One of my favorite things to do during the summer when it got to hot was to do night rides at McCains Valley. The single track stuff is really fun in the dark even with a stock headlamp. You might want to give it a try.

Ralph

I had the same thing happen with a fairly new Shoei last year. I nailed a tree branch with the top of my head up here at Keysville. Had to purchase a new visor. Knocked me off the bike too.

Amgems told me about the ride Saturday night. I grew up riding up there. One of my favorite things to do during the summer when it got to hot was to do night rides at McCains Valley. The single track stuff is really fun in the dark even with a stock headlamp. You might want to give it a try.

Ralph

I was lucky to only be in second gear. I pulled the clutch in and managed to stop and the branch let go of my visor before I got yanked off the back of the bike. :)

The summer night ride idea sounds like a blast. I'm just enjoying the fact that we still have weather cool enough for day rides. But a SDAR summer night trail ride at McCain and a barbecue, hmmm. :o

It was nice meeting all of you. I had a good time and look forward to more riding :o I certainly need the practice. Once I got back I noticed some coolant missing out of my overflow/reserve tank, sure enough my water pump is leaking a bit :)