Jaynen

Arrgh figures

So I went out today with high hopes of getting stuff accomplished. I got the parts for my DRZ250 from Socalhodaka this week and wanted to put them on the bike. (front and rear sprocket, new chain, new tires)

I take the counter sprocket cover off and I find a bolt that I have no wrench for so I was foiled right as I got started.

4877_92891806875_574266875_2497771_5221103_n.jpg

Mimi/Kelly do you guys have this tool at your respective shops? I wanted to get this done on the bike before I took it to the DMV and got the green sticker sorted

So I went out today with high hopes of getting stuff accomplished. I got the parts for my DRZ250 from Socalhodaka this week and wanted to put them on the bike. (front and rear sprocket, new chain, new tires)

I take the counter sprocket cover off and I find a bolt that I have no wrench for so I was foiled right as I got started.

Mimi/Kelly do you guys have this tool at your respective shops? I wanted to get this done on the bike before I took it to the DMV and got the green sticker sorted

Are you talking about a circlip pliers? I have lots of those. You can borrow one if you want, and if you want to buy any, Harbor Freight and Tool carries some inexpensive ones also. :rolleyes:

You mean I dont have to take off that star shaped nut? Just the C clip around it?

I couldnt find the counter sprocket in my manual for the bike

Looks that way. It does not appear to be a nut, it's just a splined shaft with a circlip.

aha well I guess I can go to Harbor Freight and look for one of those then. Should I be doing this stuff in a particular order? I figured I would do the counter sprocket then get the rear wheel off and do all that, then the front wheel for the tire and mess with the chain last.

Before I find out I need something else as well do you need a special tool for masterlinks/chain stuff?

You mean I dont have to take off that star shaped nut? Just the C clip around it?

I couldnt find the counter sprocket in my manual for the bike

Most Japanese dirt bikes have their CS sprocket held in place by a circlip. That "nut" is actually the splined end of the countershaft in your transmission. Look at your sprocket; it's splined too.

Easy nswer: Depends. :lol:

If you have a clip-on type master link, and the replacement chain is identical in length, then no. If you need to trim the new chain, and one usually does, then you need a chain breaker. Are you planning to ride the bike to work tomorrow morning? Might be late to learn about chains and master links without experienced help. It's pretty basic stuff, once you have the hang of it. But for some people, the learning curve can be tricky.

If you've not already done so, your first chain is a great opportunity to remove the rear shock and teach yourself proper chain tension technique.

OH- I HATE Harbor Freight snap ring pliers. Most are junk. Go to sears these are the ones I use- convertible for inside and outside use, too.

I dont remember if we removed the rear shock of mine when we did it at Ken/Joliets on the blue bike but I remember we got the sprocket/counter sprocket and swing arm pivot lined up

this is not my blue plated bike this is my 03 DRZ-250 green sticker bike that I had previously, so I dont need to ride it to work tomorrow but do want to get it fixed up so she can try riding it (my wife)

I planned on bringing it to Pasta's and working on it with "supervision" but that didnt work out :lol:

Jay, save the chain for last. Of course because you need to put the new rear sprocket on and you might as well change the tire while the wheel is off. Your chain is a O-Ring chain and I ordered to the specs on links, you may need to come be the shop and use the press tool on the master link to get the clip on. Kelly

Jaynen, I agree with fakey, the harbor freight (aka snap-off tools) are pretty bad. I have one of their c clip pliers and its junk. You can get the circlip off with 2 flat screwdrivers though. I've been doing it that way with my bike. Just spread the clip wth a decent sized flat head and then use a small jewelry flat head to pry off the clip once its spread open. Having a helper makes it pretty trivial.

You are gonna need a grinder and a chain tool to cut your chain down to size assuming its a 120 link. Don't take too many links off, having your rear axle further back makes hill climbing easier but may affect how well the bike turns. Having it land in the middle is probably the best all around setting. With that said, I like mine back as far as I can get it. You can adjust how far back your wheel is in the swingarm by how many links you take off. Hope that helps. You can use my tools, but I think you live pretty far from me...

Jay, you can bring it by the shop anytime and we can take care of it. Just give me a call. I was down at the shop today. If you want to do it yourself, I will lend you the tools, or bring it by and I will help you. :lol: Ken

Jay, you can bring it by the shop anytime and we can take care of it. Just give me a call. I was down at the shop today. If you want to do it yourself, I will lend you the tools, or bring it by and I will help you. :lol: Ken

Thanks Ken I will keep that in mind and try to figure out what I am going to do

Jay, you can bring it by the shop anytime and we can take care of it. Just give me a call. I was down at the shop today. If you want to do it yourself, I will lend you the tools, or bring it by and I will help you. B) Ken

Thanks Ken I will keep that in mind and try to figure out what I am going to do

Same offer here Jason. I have a chain breaker and snap ring stuff. Give me a call if you want. I'm taking my daughter out tonight for her birthday but I could swing by your pad tomorrow night if that works.

Cool I appreciate it. Will be nice to get it done.

I am stoked though because later this week I should also get the stuff to make my blue bike into a "commutard"