Sign in to follow this  
KIP

KLR Tech Day

KLR Tech Day was a great event. I picked-up my freshly purchased KLR in Cuyamaca and met Pyro, Stevehof and Jay from our group along with a bunch of great guys from 650.com and Leftcoastklrs.

At least 5 chain tensioners were replaced and every one of them had a broken spring. Even Pyro's 06 with 7800 miles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of Tech Support - Here is Aarron (sorry if the spelling is off) from leftcoast Helping me with the carb

modifications and adjusting the valves on my newly aquired machine

Posted Image

Posted Image

On my first day of KLR ownership I : Checked dohickey (allready been replaced), Checked Valve Adjustment ( OK), Modified and reset carb (Good inprovement) Pyro we did this after you rode my bike so now it is better. Upgraded (Replaced) Swing-arm bolts, Installed Low profile Magnetic Plug, and the best of all -- installed a filter center tube -- Mine was MISSING

You guys with KLRs that missed this event must be a bunch of----

Posted Image

Thanks to All of those Great KLR Guys - Buddy in Julian, Bill (dohickey manufacturer and guru) Mark 2 - who rode all the way from Nevada, and everyone else that worked so hard on this event.

All those new do-hickies, Let rideum!

KLR Tech Day was a great event. I picked-up my freshly purchased KLR in Cuyamaca and met Pyro, Stevehof and Jay from our group along with a bunch of great guys from 650.com and Leftcoastklrs.

At least 5 chain tensioners were replaced and every one of them had a broken spring. Even Pyro's 06 with 7800 miles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lots of Tech Support - Here is Aarron (sorry if the spelling is off) from leftcoast Helping me with the carb

modifications and adjusting the valves on my newly aquired machine

Posted Image

Posted Image

On my first day of KLR ownership I : Checked dohickey (allready been replaced), Checked Valve Adjustment ( OK), Modified and reset carb (Good inprovement) Pyro we did this after you rode my bike so now it is better. Upgraded (Replaced) Swing-arm bolts, Installed Low profile Magnetic Plug, and the best of all -- installed a filter center tube -- Mine was MISSING

You guys with KLRs that missed this event must be a bunch of----

Posted Image

Thanks to All of those Great KLR Guys - Buddy in Julian, Bill (dohickey manufacturer and guru) Mark 2 - who rode all the way from Nevada, and everyone else that worked so hard on this event.

Please no brand or model bashing - I love Hondas and have owned 3 different Honda 3 atvs. The KLRs are a good all around bike but they do have weaknesses. I am just shocked that Kawasaki has not made this modification -- true no Kaisen here - I thought the continuous improvement was a Japanese thing? Maybe bikes from Germany or Austria are the way to go.

Posted Image

Does the KLR run with the broken spring as this appears not to be a fatal part if it does break?

Does the KLR run with the broken spring as this appears not to be a fatal part if it does break?

Sometimes... :P Sometimes not for very long... :)

Please see my write up of this very cool event here

http://www.sphoto.com/temp/juliantechday/

There are lots of photos, small and clickable so you won't have to download a whole wad just to read the story.

Cheers, stevehof

It was my first time at the event,and I was impressed thanx to mike and anyone else who helped me out on my doohickey.Door prizes,lunch,presentation of very sweet gear,all parts on hand for sale ,and of course KLR's everywere owwyea.(Steve do you have the pic of the sparks flyin off my bike HA)Hopefully we can get all these klr's on a ride soon!!!!

thanx to all for a great day!! :)

jay

Please no brand or model bashing - I love Hondas and have owned 3 different Honda 3 atvs. The KLRs are a good all around bike but they do have weaknesses. I am just shocked that Kawasaki has not made this modification -- true no Kaisen here - I thought the continuous improvement was a Japanese thing? Maybe bikes from Germany or Austria are the way to go.

Posted Image

Bashing, there is no bashing in motor world.

Seems odd that the Kaw still has the same problem, how long have they been making this model????

My do-hicky works(i think), Oh yeah, I dont have to check it on the big red pig. :)

A great event! Thanks to Mike, Mark, Buddy and the whole crew up there. I've never seen so many KLRs in one place. It was like a a full scale invasion from the planet KLR. AWESOME! My motor is purring now, and It's always nice to know that there is a signifcantly reduced chance of my engine imploding on the next ride. :) .

••=====>> PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT TO ALL KLR 650 OWNERS:

Change out your Doohickey ASAP ! ! !

END OF PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT TO ALL KLR 650 OWNERS <<=====••

It was great to meet you guys. Thanks for the extra help and the fun test rides Paul. Your KTM kicks much arse! That bike is SWEET! Your KLR was running like hell but it sounds like you got that fixed, so thats great. It was nice to meet you Jay. Also thanks again for posting the reminder Stevehof and getting us there on the cool back-route. I'm putting slicks on my bike right now and I'm going to run that road at midnight tonight! I'm joking, but that would fun as hell, right?!?! mawAHAHAHAHAHAH

RIDE ON AMIGOS!

It was my first time at the event,and I was impressed thanx to mike and anyone else who helped me out on my doohickey.Door prizes,lunch,presentation of very sweet gear,all parts on hand for sale ,and of course KLR's everywere owwyea.(Steve do you have the pic of the sparks flyin off my bike HA)Hopefully we can get all these klr's on a ride soon!!!!

thanx to all for a great day!! :)

jay

Jay, the flash drowned out all of the sparks for some reason. I would have posted the photo in my report had it shown those great fireworks.... :P

There are lots of photos, small and clickable so you won't have to download a whole wad just to read the story.

Cheers, stevehof

Steve,

You are quite the photographer to say the least!!

My wife and I both enjoyed all the stills on your site!

Spyder

Especially my cousin 'BIG RED'! :P

The SO and I (on the GS) stopped by Tech Day in Julian. (But she did not want to hang around while I oogled all the bikes.) :)

Wish I had taken the time to meet you all!

No bashing at all, I am Team Green from the start, First bike I bought with my own scratch was a KDX200. The 2nd bike was a KX250. I would've bought a KLR but I wanted a more dirt oriented bike. The XR is the first Honda I've ever owned, I sometimes cringe when I say out loud that I own a Honda. :)

Ride it like ya stole it, fix it like you own it.

See you on the trails.

Steve,

You are quite the photographer to say the least!!

My wife and I both enjoyed all the stills on your site!

Spyder

Especially my cousin 'BIG RED'! :P

The SO and I (on the GS) stopped by Tech Day in Julian. (But she did not want to hang around while I oogled all the bikes.) :)

Wish I had taken the time to meet you all!

Hey Spyder, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed visiting my photo galleries... :P