socalhodaka

New questions about my KTM 520

Right now I'm going though the process of giving the bike the best one over that I can do. Oil and filter change using paper filter and Amsoil. I would like to have the valves check and check on the upgraded cam sprocket and bolt. So here is a couple questions and I know asking stuff like this is touchy with everyone's own opinion. I need new tires so at the same time I will check wheel bearings and the chain adjustment bolts. I read over a past tire posting but it was from awhile back so maybe things have changed.

I'm thinking DOT tires. Metzeler Six Days, sizes offered are kind of weird I think? 90/90-21 and 110/100-18 $71F$80R, Kenda Trak Master II 80/100-21 and 110/100-18 $47F$56R or Dunlop 606 90/90-21 and 130/90-18 $92F$99R.

The bike has no speedo so I'm looking at the Trail Tech Vector $80

I did order a seat from Guts.

Thanks Kelly

If you run a Dunlop 606 rear, try a Dunlop 908 front tire. It has the same knob pattern as a Dunlop 739 front tire.

I second socalhodaka's tire inquiry...I want to purchase a set of DOT, yet agressive, tires. I have been long time Bridgestone and Dunlop fan... :rolleyes:

There is a tire thread somewhere... IF you must have DOT, Mimi's suggestion is good. I have yet to find a DOT front that hooks up well off road... they always push. If you are more of an aggressive rider than I am, it could be even a bigger issue.

I do like the 739 non DOT up front

For an aggressive rear dot tire, I have to say I really like my teraflex. I have heard people complain about them on pavement, but once scrubbed off, it sticks very well. They are stiff and difficult to put on and take off. I think the biggest problem with them is people run them with too much pressure in them. They are designed to run very low pressure. I run 5 or 6psi in mine, and you can also run it flat with a light bike until you can get home to fix it.

I have had good luck with Perelli MT-21 on the front.

I had heard the MT-21 was discontinued and replaced with the scorpian pro all terrain... can't confirm, but it looks like the same basic tire.

Yup, that's what I was running before my scofflaw streak.

I had heard the MT-21 was discontinued and replaced with the scorpian pro all terrain... can't confirm, but it looks like the same basic tire.

They're still available: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...Front-Tire.aspx

They last forever but I don't really care for'em on a lighter bike......I put MT18's on both bikes front and rear before our Bar 10 trip........the MT18's weren't durable enough in the back on either bike (the rocks just ripped'em apart.....blocks are too widely spaced)......and the MT18 front is so-so......I like the pattern but the wear went a bit uneven pretty quickly on the 620 ADV though that may also be due to running an unbalanced wheel at speed, good amount of paved riding, soft tread......

When I picked up the 620 ADV bike it had a MT21 front and Dunlop 606 rear......I may go back to that combo.....both long lasting/DOT tires.....

I like to run more dirt oriented tires on the 520......I've always liked Kenda Carlsbads in the back.....aggressive/decent wear/cheap.......

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

I may never make up my mind on a front tire......for now the MT16 Pirelli front seems like a decent choice on the lighter bike.....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...Front-Tire.aspx

I like to run more dirt oriented tires on the 520......I've always liked Kenda Carlsbads in the back.....aggressive/decent wear/cheap.......

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

Chris, I checked out the Kenda K772 Carlsbad on the Superstore web site. The Show it for 71.99 saving 23.96 so I take that as 95.95 retail. I can get you a do better deal at my shop. Just keep that in mind. Thanks Kelly

The Pirelli MT 18 was used by Team Honda on their Baja bikes and it is a DOT tire. It's now a Scorpion XC. Wanna make a DRZ stick in turns ? try it.