If the KTM 520 gets you going you should look at the Beta, RFS engine with a real suspension, and less expensive also!

That will come in handy, if you ever decide to actually ride it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I took Mimi’s advice and rode today,…er …this afternoon actually. I saw that Jon was putting barkbusters on his Italian bike. So not to be out done by the “kid” I put barkbusters on my Italian bike. Then I decided to go and try them out. I put the bike on the pickup (I’m a Sallie) and drove out McCain Valley.

I got there around 3 pm and then remembered that I had not told anyone where I was going and the fact that I was alone. So I called my home number and left the following message “Hi, it’s Roger, if I’m note home tonight tell them they can find my body at McCain OHV area”. Now I thought that was a nice simple message. It stated where I was at (McCain Valley), what I was doing (OHV) and that if I didn’t come home to send help (find the body). My wife didn’t take it that way. Carmen thought I was going off to commit suicide or something. How she thought that after my perfectly clear message is beyond me. Women! What are we going ta do?

Anyway I thought I’d use the flat parking area to practice my turns and stuff. It’s a Tuesday afternoon and nobody will be there right? Well there were two trucks and three bikes already there. They were staring at me when I pulled up like they thought I was there to commit suicide or something. So I unload the bike from the truck as everyone else scurries off. I don’t know why they left in such a hurry. Do you think it could be because I started a coughing fit and then yelled “DARN PIGS”?

I started doing figure eights and practiced counterbalancing the outside peg. I noticed that it was deep sand in the area but what the heck I need to practice the basics (that’s what carguy told me anyway). So… the turns got sharper and the figure eights got smaller then it happened. Yep straight to the ground! Well I jumped of that bike quicker then you can say swine flu and checked to see for any witnesses. Because hey, if there ain’t no pictures and no one saw it, it didn’t happen right?

Well I pulled that bike up right and then thought “What would Mimi do”? Then it hit, go for a trail ride idiot. (Idiot is Mimi’s pet name for me. I think it is Indian for” he who is just such a great rider” or something.) So I took off in a southwesterly direction. I went through the sand and over the rocks and I didn’t fall down! I kept going down the trails just like when I follow dirtdame. We turned to the left and then to the right. We sped up and slowed down. We went over the hill and through the canyon. Then all of a sudden I couldn’t see Mimi any more! Where did she go? Did she turn left at that last intersection? What a minute!!! Mimi is not here, you’re lost again idiot! Well I saw the giant windmills off in the distance. Now I know that there is a road that goes by then because I have seen pictures of it. So I decided to keep following the trail to the giant windmills.

The trail kept winding and going up and down the hills. Every once in a while I would get a glimmer of a windmill. After some hours…okay…after several minutes I go down another hill and what do I find? Yeap you guessed it. I’m back at the truck. Well what do you know about that?

What to do now, I ain’t going to ask Mimi again because she isn’t there. So I see McCain Valley road just a sitting there and I realize that I have never been down the road further then this spot. I want to see where it goes and besides it will be good practice for the westfest trip. I start shooting on down the road and in no time at all I’m at Lark Canyon campground. Now I know where that is. I continue down the road trying to gain some speed. I go 40, then 45, then 50, then 55, and then I pass a sign that says 15 mph so I slowed the heck down. I stumbled upon Cottonwood camp and checked out the grounds. They looked alright. I might just have to do some camping there sometime. I continued on down the road trying to do some high speed riding while standing. I’m speeding over sand and through ruts as I passed a sign that was all shot up and twisted. I wonder what it said? I look back at it trying to figure out what the message was. When I turn back forward I learned what the message was “road ends here!” I start trying everything as I come up on that pole fence. I got stopped right before I hit it. Can we say lucky?

On the way back I slow down a bit and stop to check out Carrizo Overlook. The wind was blowing like mad so I put my helmet on the ground well away from the bike. I walked out and took a couple of photos. This is of Carrazo Overlook.

Overlook1.jpg

This is of the sign at the overlook.

Overlooksign.jpg

And this one proves I was there.

overlookIwasthere.jpg

So take that Dirt Dame I went for a ride today!!! :angry::angry:;);)

Good report Roger!! :angry:

Glad you had fun and sounds like only one spill. :angry:

Hey Roger, how bout' a ride report on that bike. I would like to know the specs on it and see a few pics of it. Details. :angry: Ken

Hey Roger, how bout' a ride report on that bike. I would like to know the specs on it and see a few pics of it. Details. :angry: Ken

Yeah, who wants to see a picture of your beard? :angry:

Why wasn't I there? :o

But you were Mimi, you were…Until you took that left turn I was following you. :o

Good report Roger!! B)

Thank you. I’m trying a new writing style.

Glad you had fun and sounds like only one spill. B)

Just the one, I was trying to be careful because I was by myself.

Hey Roger, how bout' a ride report on that bike. I would like to know the specs on it and see a few pics of it. Details. :lol: Ken

Ken, you and I both know that I don’t have a clue. Why don’t you ride it and then you can write the report? B) Although I will tell you it was very comfortable riding and steering down the dirt road while standing. It felt like I could stand all day.

Yeah, who wants to see a picture of your beard? :o

Jealous? :P

Trials riders practice a lot of figure 8 turns and turning on off-camber surfaces. Directly exportable to dual sport riding too :o

Yep, that is what I was trying to do. But did not do it nearly as well. Maybe I should find someplace that is not soft deep sand to practice? :lol:

Perty new italian bike there Roger

Thank you.

Let's ride down to the desert/Canebrake from McCain. Can it be done?

Beezzz

Let's ride down to the desert/Canebrake from McCain. Can it be done?

Beezzz

Check out PastaPilot’s beach to river run.

I did replace the stock seat with a guts seat. The stock seat was made out of the finest Italian walnut available. But it disagreed with my backside. The guts Sallie seat I purchased is wider and softer.

I'd be willing to bet there is some "fun" singletrack dropping down to the desert somewhere thereabouts your 3rd pic.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet there is some "fun" singletrack dropping down to the desert somewhere thereabouts your 3rd pic.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

I know there is, but it is now designated a "wilderness" area. But you can singletrack your boots or horses down to Bow Willow with no problem.