Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

2nd annual father/son Corral Canyon trip

I've been looking forward to this trip for two years. My son and I went to Corral Canyon in 2007 during spring break and had a blast but I had to miss it last year since I was out of town due to work. This year we made sure everything would work out and had been looking forward to it for weeks. I took some time off work and got everything ready. My buddy Paul was able to get some time off also so we invited him and his son Kent along too.

We got to Corral Canyon campsite about 10am and it was pretty much wide open. One truck was parked there with a trailer and a bunch of people without motorcycles were camped at one site. They quickly became known as "the hippies" since they had long hair, played frisbee golf and had a drum circle around the campfire. They didn't bother us though, so no worries. We set up camp pretty quick and got comfortable.

My son, the goof!

001-3.jpg

PBR makes camping even more fun.

002-3.jpg

Aaron is ready to go.

005-2.jpg

I'm almost ready to go.

006-3.jpg

Paul and Kent on the trail.

011-3.jpg

Aaron hitting the jump.

012-3.jpg

Paul tries it.

019-2.jpg

I try it.

026-2.jpg

Stream crossing.

027-2.jpg

Aaron with the hills behind him.

029-1.jpg

Kent tries to drive straight up the hill, he didn't make it.

030-2.jpg

We decided to do Bronco Peak from the campsite. Why not?

039.jpg

041.jpg

043.jpg

Two successful Bronco Peak climbers. Don't we look proud?

044.jpg

Kids around the campfire.

046.jpg

Paul gets too close to the fire.

045.jpg

My son and I.

047.jpg

Me on a rock.

055.jpg

Paul dropping his bike. It was raining and hailing at this point and the rocks were slick.

056.jpg

He made it up without too much trouble.

057.jpg

Great weekend! It was awesome on Thursday and raining/hailing Friday but we still got plenty of riding in. I loved riding in the rain, I figured Mimi would have enjoyed it. The kids had a great time and I think that's what matters the most.

Some videos.

Bronco Peak.

th_032-1.jpg

th_033-1.jpg

th_034-1.jpg

th_036-1.jpg

Some videos.

Bronco Peak.

th_032-1.jpg

th_033-1.jpg

th_034-1.jpg

th_036-1.jpg

"this is like the very hardest part right here though." (good dialog)

I kept telling Paul that we were in the hardest part. He kept telling me that a friend wouldn't take someone up that hill. :)

I kept telling Paul that we were in the hardest part. He kept telling me that a friend wouldn't take someone up that hill. :)

not any friend -- only a good friend!!

Sounds and looks like a great trip.

Corral Canyon; all good....but you can have Bronco Peak trail.

They didn't bother us though, so no worries.

Says the guy with the new .45 :)

Nice write-up. Looks like a good time. :) Ken

This is my goal for my son and I. I want to take advantage of every moment I can with him as he grows up, too precious to waste. He is 3 now and just learning to ride his bicycle with training wheels...he's on his way. :boast:

This is my goal for my son and I. I want to take advantage of every moment I can with him as he grows up, too precious to waste.

Good plan Randy......I'd encourage everyone/anyone to get out and enjoy the sights & sounds with their sons/daughters at an early age.......as we all know, it's really fun/satisfying to escape the electronic babysitters (cell phones, T.V.'s, computers, etc.) and spend some uninterrupted time with your kids.....so don't sit around waiting for memories to take root.......head out and make'em as Tom did with Aaron this past wekend!!!

If you start your sons/daughters early they'll be ready for dualsport fun when they hit their teenage years because by that time they'll be skilled enough/tall enough to handle a full sized/street plated bike......I can neither confirm nor deny that Jarrett may have started riding organized dualsport events with me when he was 13 (and we've had a blast together ever since.....)

Our first organized dualsport event together was the the 2005 Bass Lake 250.....what a blast!!!

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

Now get out there and start making memories!!! :boast: :)

Great post Tom....glad to see you all had fun!

I second C-Daddy....missed a bit during their growing up.....but the oldest is 28 (it comes quickly) & doing the BAR 10 with me in a couple of weeks.

I have to try Bronco one of these times.

This post has so many good things about it. Good solid family fun, Bronco on a WR400 and PBR to top it all off. I almost feel like I was there :boast:...

Thanks for the pics, video and great write up.

E

This post has so many good things about it. Good solid family fun, Bronco on a WR400 and PBR to top it all off. I almost feel like I was there :boast:...

Thanks for the pics, video and great write up.

E

I did the PBR shot with you in mind. :)

Bronco on the WR was difficult due to my new seat. It's a bit taller and I can barely touch ground, I fell over a lot.

My son is my favorite riding partner, we always have a great time no matter what happens.

Nice one guys! Love the videos w/ great commentary . . hahahahaahhaha . . Man I was tired just watching those. I remember going down that trail once it was pretty damn hairy.