husky4me

1st Responder for Motorcyclists Class

I was very happy to attend the "1st Responder for Motorcyclists" class offered by San Diego BMW on 4/5/09. Jamie Edmons (City of Coronado Paramedic) did an excellent job providing all of us information about how to respond to motorcycle accidents, what to do or not to do, getting emergency help, basic fist aid, and prevention tips. I encourage all to attend any future trainings.

Thank you Gary Orr (San Diego BMW) and Jamie Edmonds for an excellent presentation! :)

Martin B.

Me too. I wonder how we can get the word that it's happening???

The Borrego Springs Fire Department said they would do an emergency First Aid class for us when I asked them at the Desert Dash.

We could plan a ride out there, then attend the class. Maybe they'll even make us lunch !!

Does that sound like an idea ?

Oh. We'd have to, like, ride our motorcycles?

I dunno.

Dang it. I just had it apart, detailed it and put fresh tires on. There nice and shiny. Last time I rode it out there it got dirty and I fell down and hurt my thumb a little.

Me too!

barny.gif

Hey Slutto, Jason delivered my shirt yesterday,, very nice!

Asses the area, send one for help 911, can I assist you, keep, the spine straight, stabalize head, feet up for shock, blanket, check vitals, etc. Just do your best!

Don't freak out and be a wuss, be a first responder.

The Borrego Springs Fire Department said they would do an emergency First Aid class for us when I asked them at the Desert Dash.

We could plan a ride out there, then attend the class. Maybe they'll even make us lunch !!

Does that sound like an idea ?

My good friend Rick is a founding member of the L.E.S.A.R. That is " Los Exploredores Search and Rescue" For those of you that are not D38 Racers, they are the organization that provides first responce service for the desert events. I think they would be all in as well. They may even be willing to do it in conjuntion with the BSFD.

I am all in.

BC

PS: GREAT POST!

In. We get certified every two years and things change all the time. CPR is drastically dif than 5 years ago with increased survival rates..

Great idea!

This sounds like a great idea. It's always in the back of my mind. WTF do I do if someone crashes and is really hurt. I've been fortunate enough to have people who do know when something bad happen. I'd love to get some skills as a first responder AND combine it with a ride.

Not sure how to go about getting something organized. I'm available to help out if needed. I'd imagine we could get a decent turnout. Can't have too many folks trained as first responders out on the trails.

I was very happy to attend the "1st Responder for Motorcyclists" class offered by San Diego BMW on 4/5/09. Jamie Edmons (City of Coronado Paramedic) did an excellent job providing all of us information about how to respond to motorcycle accidents, what to do or not to do, getting emergency help, basic fist aid, and prevention tips. I encourage all to attend any future trainings.

Thank you Gary Orr (San Diego BMW) and Jamie Edmonds for an excellent presentation! :)

Martin B.

You were there too?! Wish I'd known.

It was a great class, very informative, and Gary even provided us with breakfast, lunch and a bag o' schwag!!

Gary said that he'll be doing another one (this was the 3rd Anual). If you get on SD BMW Motorcycle's email list you'll get notified next time they offer the class.

I'm in. Clayton crashed his DRZ in Plaster City this past Sunday and he managed to ride his bike back to the truck after he regained his senses. We ended up going to the emergency room so he could get xrays and CAT scan (nothing broken). Another wake-up call I think I need to answer.

I'm in, this sounds great!

I have to get certified every year in First Aid and CPR to coach high school lacrosse, but I'm SURE I'm not learning anything close to what I should be in regards to dealing with a motorcycle scene.

You'd be surprised. I first trained for CPR when I was 12 or 13. The old bastard who was giving the class was HARD on me- he made it very tough. About the middle of the class he stopped and turned to me, in front of the class, and told me to look around the classroom. He, as kindly as possible, said all the rest of the class was kind of old, but I was likely be the only one in class to use this- because I was young.

He was right- while I've not had the give the opened-mouth kiss to a stranger, I've been the first responder on many occasions (no, not as many as TrophyHunter).

Here's the point: your training will allow you to respond to a situation with calm and care, while others will sit on their thumbs and let people die. I've seen it. At one head-on collision, there were probably 50 bystanders while I helped a seriously hurt, trapped driver in a car that was catching fire. 50 bystanders, nobody lifted a goddamed finger, except to take cell phone pictures and call EMS. I had to personally assign people jobs- like "use this extinguisher to keep the fire away", and Will somebody get a towel and hold it on that guy's head?

Another time I told a bystander at a swimming pool to call 911. As I helped the barely breathing teen, I looked up and saw the person- I asked

is EMS on the way?? He said no, he couldn't "get through". I forcefully reassigned him and somebody else who looked like they could use a landline, "see, it's over there you dumass, not get dialing!"

Anyway, your training will help you in ways you may not predict. Roger, you're the kind of guy who would help anyway, but trust me, it WILL help.

I was at work late one night, and I heard a girl screaming... I hurdled over a short fence, to see her laying in a pool of blood... put immediate pressure on it (it was GUSHING), and started assigning tasks... YOU... call 4911... YOU; go grab me a towel and some ice... YOU.... why didn't you tell me there was a open gate 2 feet away before I hurdled the fence????

You learn this stuff, and it really DOES stick with you

(She had taken a header from a 10 foot ladder... she also ruined my clothes) People DID ask if I was worried about all the blood (AIDS)... I was sure as hell more worried about her bleeding out, than I was about me contracting the disease