Sign in to follow this  
leadmoto

Lake Morena / Corral Canyon (MTB Race)

There will be a Mountainbike Race at Corral Canyon on April 5th. Lots of MTB'rs out pre-running the course, so please be careful especially going up Kernan and Spur Meadows.

The bottom section of Kernan has be reworked. It is less technical now, but a lot faster. It has it's pluses and minuses.

There will be a Mountainbike Race at Corral Canyon on April 5th. Lots of MTB'rs out pre-running the course, so please be careful especially going up Kernan and Spur Meadows.

The bottom section of Kernan has be reworked. It is less technical now, but a lot faster. It has it's pluses and minuses.

When Mickey and I were out there a few weekends ago, Spur Meadow was like the 405 during rush hour with all the mountain bikers! Most were very courteous and moved to the side to let us by - of course there were a few that weren't (good thing the EXC has a horn on !!! :lol: )

What do you mean by reworked?? :unsure:

Technical is fun!!!!

the single track on the North side was made wider, and the ruts were removed... it is now quad friendly... crap

So the mountain bike clubs can close dirt bike trails to ride on, I say we close noble down to them for a day so we can ride on it WTF

So the mountain bike clubs can close dirt bike trails to ride on, I say we close noble down to them for a day so we can ride on it WTF

That's kind of what I was getting at indirectly (and somewhat politely) with my first post. I have no problem sharing the trails, but when dudes get pissed and don't let you by - or when they "take ownership of the trail" (read about what's happening to miles and miles of trails that were built by dirt-bike guys in Moab) I sometimes have to kindly (and somewhat politely) remind them that there are literally hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of miles of trails open to mountain bikes that are closed to motorcycles. If they don't want to share with me (I'm more than happy to share), perhaps they should go on a non-moto trail...

Again - I have no problem sharing. But I don't go jogging down I-15 expecting the cars to cater to me...

(disclaimer - I like mountain bikes as much as the next guy)

And I do appreciate the original poster's heads up - I'll be extra careful on the trails and watch for hazards!!!

I was giving everyone a heads up on what is happening in the area for safety reasons, and I find the attitude on this post toward MTB'r offensive. There are jerks in every organization, and it appears I found a few here in the adventure rider forum. I agree some cyclist are A-holes, but don't lump the few into the whole cycling community.

I have been on the losing end of a head-on with a motorcycle while MTB'g down Kernan. There was no finger pointing going on. Head-on collisions are unfortunate risk of trail riding, and hopefully this post will make riders more aware that there will be a greater number of MTB'rs in the area until the event ends on Sunday.

I am a native to San Diego and been riding motorcycles as well as bicycles all my life. I've seen my fair share of the BS access issues, green sticker money pilfered, and loss of land to ride. Our fight to ride is not motorcycles v. mountain bikers, and a good percentage do both. I have donated my time and, cash to keeping trails open for all users. What have you done?

Join the AMA

Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

Join the ORBA

Join the ASA

Do some trail work.

Just got back from PV to CC area. There is a sign on the entrance to lower Kernan notifying off roaders the trail will be closed Sunday for the race. The guy who put it there rode up on his DR650, telling us we should ride other areas on that day.

We asked if the race was sanctioned or approved by the Rangers or if the Rangers approved "closing" the trail.......No.

I'm all for sharing the areas and don't wish to debate the green sticker/we do more damage issue, but just posting a sign "closing" a green sticker money maintained area is a little much IMHO.

I hope the ride/race goes well and there aren't any accidents. I'm actually for just letting the trail go for the day but the sign needs to go.

Enjoy.

Our fight to ride is not motorcycles v. mountain bikers

Agreed......and for the record, all of the folks I know through SDAR would yield to a biker traveling uphill (motorized or not).......that's sort of the rule of the trail (as I recall B) ), yield to the rider climbing.........

That said, I also agree with Ozzy.......sure would be cool if we were able ride up/down Noble LEGALLY WITH A PLATED MOTORCYCLE one day a week :ok: B) ......

Just got back from PV to CC area. There is a sign on the entrance to lower Kernan notifying off roaders the trail will be closed Sunday for the race. The guy who put it there rode up on his DR650, telling us we should ride other areas on that day.

We asked if the race was sanctioned or approved by the Rangers or if the Rangers approved "closing" the trail.......No.

I'm all for sharing the areas and don't wish to debate the green sticker/we do more damage issue, but just posting a sign "closing" a green sticker money maintained area is a little much IMHO.

I hope the ride/race goes well and there aren't any accidents. I'm actually for just letting the trail go for the day but the sign needs to go.

Enjoy.

That is the SDAR section of trail, IIRC... and I agree; we can yield the trail for one day a year... and some people might ride Noble or Anderson, and I'm not sure of the legalities there...

as an ex-acid mountain biker, I NEVER had an issue with sharing trails... the one that cracked me up... while riding slickrock, a couple of mountain bikers I was riding with, bitching about motorcycles on "our" trail... "guys... who do you think made the trail? they'll be gone soon, take a sip of water"

I feel like riding the twists on palomar this week end, i am going to post my sign tomorrow so i can have it all to myself so i can cut all the turns on the inside. Anyone wanna join me, i am sure it will be safe B)

Just stirring the pot a little

I was giving everyone a heads up on what is happening in the area for safety reasons, and I find the attitude on this post toward MTB'r offensive. There are jerks in every organization, and it appears I found a few here in the adventure rider forum. I agree some cyclist are A-holes, but don't lump the few into the whole cycling community.

I am a native to San Diego and been riding motorcycles as well as bicycles all my life. I've seen my fair share of the BS access issues, green sticker money pilfered, and loss of land to ride. Our fight to ride is not motorcycles v. mountain bikers, and a good percentage do both. I have donated my time and, cash to keeping trails open for all users. What have you done?

Join the AMA

Join the ORBA

Join the ASA

Do some trail work.

Actually if you read the sign on Kernan you will find that SDAR has adopted this trail and we do maintain it. Yes it is not right to lump any community. Many of the most active members of SDAR are also Mountain Bikers. I don’t think that you should be offended. It is just that there are few close areas for motorcyclists to ride while many other areas are open for Mountain Bikes. I don’t think anyone wants to keep MTB off the trail it is just why close a motorcycle trail when there are so many other venues to use?

I am a member of several organizations that fight to keep our public lands open. Last year I went to Sacramento with other members of SDAR (including our pres) to try and keep our state lands open. When any of my off road clubs put on an organized event on public land we have to get permits and insurance. This includes the Desert Dash. Even after jumping through all the hoops we can’t close any of the trails while we hold our events.

I am all for MTB and everyone else having access to public lands. They are public lands after all. But for safety’s sake it might have been better to put this event on a Bicycle only trail. And nobody has the right to close a trail for their event just because they want exclusive use. That is what the greenies do, close trails and deny other users access.

Leadmoto if you are running this race I wish you luck, speed, fun and a safe day. Let us know how you do. B)

Join the AMA

Join the ORBA

Join the ASA

Do some trail work.

Actually if you read the sign on Kernan you will find that SDAR has adopted this trail and we do maintain it. Yes it is not right to lump any community. Many of the most active members of SDAR are also Mountain Bikers. I don’t think that you should be offended. It is just that there are few close areas for motorcyclists to ride while many other areas are open for Mountain Bikes. I don’t think anyone wants to keep MTB off the trail it is just why close a motorcycle trail when there are so many other venues to use?

I am a member of several organizations that fight to keep our public lands open. Last year I went to Sacramento with other members of SDAR (including our pres) to try and keep our state lands open. When any of my off road clubs put on an organized event on public land we have to get permits and insurance. This includes the Desert Dash. Even after jumping through all the hoops we can’t close any of the trails while we hold our events.

I am all for MTB and everyone else having access to public lands. They are public lands after all. But for safety’s sake it might have been better to put this event on a Bicycle only trail. And nobody has the right to close a trail for their event just because they want exclusive use. That is what the greenies do, close trails and deny other users access.

Leadmoto if you are running this race I wish you luck, speed, fun and a safe day. Let us know how you do. B)

The MTB race is a sanctioned event. This race has been going on for approximately 20 years. I'm sure the course closure is unofficial, and If you really want to ride the course on Sunday, then ride the course Sunday. It is after all public land. Don't rally behind the positive side of the event, and that it's even possible. They used to run a MTB Downhill on Kernan, but most likely for the reasons you stated, they are no longer able to do so. Another great event shut down in my backyard. They use to run Motorcycle Trials events at Lake Morena as well. Would you still show bias if this event sign was posted for Motorcycle use?

Where are all of these MTB Venus you speak of? There are no mountain bike only trails that I know of in San Diego, or California for that matter. They are Non-Motorized Multi-use trials. MTB promoters have access issues just like off-road promoters. Just last week they had to shut down a section of race course in Fontana because of a sand fly. No BS, a sand fly.

While Motorcyclist, Mountain bikers, Horseback riders, Snowmobiles, Etc. are fighting among ourselves, we are all losing our trails, and it's not just California anymore. I know mountain biking has tried to distance themselves from motorized vehicles for obvious reasons, but I don't necessarily like that approach, other then it allows MTB'r more trail access. If we don't come together, then all our future generation will know is pay tracks.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ok y'all its time to move east. Arizona? New Mexico? Too many people in CA! We are loving the land to death! What faction do you want to join?! Weekends suck anyways, if you want an East County Trail to yourself go out on a 90 degree summer weekday, no issues. STOP COMPLAINING!!!! SWEAT IT OUT MOUNTAIN BIKERS

The MTB race is a sanctioned event. This race has been going on for approximately 20 years. I'm sure the course closure is unofficial, and If you really want to ride the course on Sunday, then ride the course Sunday. It is after all public land. Don't rally behind the positive side of the event, and that it's even possible. They used to run a MTB Downhill on Kernan, but most likely for the reasons you stated, they are no longer able to do so. Another great event shut down in my backyard. They use to run Motorcycle Trials events at Lake Morena as well. Would you still show bias if this event sign was posted for Motorcycle use?

I will not be there Sunday for 3 reasons. The1st is that I work on Sunday. The 2nd is that I would not want to interfer with the race. And the 3rd is that I don't like to get passed by Bikes! Yes, I'm that slow. :angry:

Have a good race. :o

leadmoto; none of the guys above are "that type" of dirt biker... And nobody meant offense to you or mountain bikers as a group... Ozzy mountains bikes every week. I would if I had the time and the cardio ( still have 7 mountain bikes in my garage, and have competed in the sagebrush safari and other events; we love mountain bikes)

As far as bike only trails; you're right... Any bike trail will be "multi-use"... But, as is to be expected, the moto trails are all multi-use too, and there are far fewer moto legal trails. The two trails you mention are two of our favorites, close to town, and as mentioned, we adopted part of kernan. Most of us belong to the organizations you mention...

Roger; you're right... I have passed many dirt bikes coming down kernan. No shame in that; my intense weighs 36#... My DRZ is 300... No contest when it comes to changing direction and pairing up whoops.

Lead; see ya on a trail, and thanks for the heads up. I assume the whole event is X country now, and no downhill or super D?

Thanks for the heads up on the bike race. I will plan around it. Or maybe view it.

Beezzz

If it's any conciliation, a fellow SDARer will be in the race. One of us will be able to enjoy the trail on Sunday. Me...

I have a Gary-Fisher MTB in the garage, bright orange & black (could be a sign), and have been known to down-hill on occasion. In La Verne where I used to MTB we shared the trail with MTB/horse/hikers..."can't we all just get along??" ;)

If it's any conciliation, a fellow SDARer will be in the race. One of us will be able to enjoy the trail on Sunday. Me...

w00t!! Kick some a$$ Erick!!

I assume the whole event is X country now, and no downhill or super D?

You are correct, looks like a decent course...

Here's the course, taken from the online info:

The race will start on Corral Canyon Road on the north side of Lake Morena at the

Campground. NOTE: The campground is currently closed.

Take Corral Canyon Road to Four Corners. Take the Number 1 trail to Sky Valley Road

¾ of a mile to the Five Jeep Road. NOTE: It is easy to miss. Turn right on the 5

Road.

There is a hike-a-bike on the 5 Road. Take the 11 Road back to Corral Canyon Road,

turn right. Take Corral Canyon Road back to Four Corners. NOTE: We may go up the

2 Trail but it is currently closed. At Four Corners before you begin to go down Corral

Canyon Road, turn right on Los Pinos Road, go 30 yards and on your left is the Kernan

Trail. Take it down to Corral Canyon Road, turn right and head back to the

Start/Finish.