I've got a training run in mind - the "best of" loop I put together and rode half of with papaalex and spaugh last fall! Between that and the Pinnacles-50, riders should get a good idea of what the hardways on the run are all about.

Schedule?

Gotta wait for the snow to melt first... :(

Dang - am I tired of the desert already?

Actually, I think the hardest stuff on last year's run were the final climbs up Lightning Ridge and Onyx Summit - but that could just be because I was EXHAUSTED at that point.

I've got a training run in mind - the "best of" loop I put together and rode half of with papaalex and spaugh last fall! Between that and the Pinnacles-50, riders should get a good idea of what the hardways on the run are all about.

Right, that's my issue......I head up there to ride "2" days......as I recall, you guys spent all day riding the "best of" loop.....and all day riding the Pinnacles loop.....as you know, to earn a BBTR plaque, you have to string all that together PLUS MORE into one LONG day......that's not overly appealing to old/fat C-Daddy.......I'd rather start a bit later (but not much later because I have time issues :( ), ride outside of the herd, break more frequently/longer, finish earlier, and be ready to ride again on Sunday........that's why I'll likely look at the tracks Friday night and ride the morning easy ways over to the afternoon hardways in the morning w/o 100 of my new best friends climbing over my back in pursuit of a plaque :lol::lol: .......I won't earn a plaque, but I don't really give a S.........I'll have a blast.......and that's really all I care about :(:(

...because I have time issues :(

There it is folks...the truth comes out :lol:

Right, that's my issue......I head up there to ride "2" days......as I recall, you guys spent all day riding the "best of" loop.....and all day riding the Pinnacles loop.....as you know, to earn a BBTR plaque, you have to string all that together PLUS MORE into one LONG day......that's not overly appealing to old/fat C-Daddy.......I'd rather start a bit later (but not much later because I have time issues :( ), ride outside of the herd, break more frequently/longer, finish earlier, and be ready to ride again on Sunday........that's why I'll likely look at the tracks Friday night and ride the morning easy ways over to the afternoon hardways in the morning w/o 100 of my new best friends climbing over my back in pursuit of a plaque :lol::o .......I won't earn a plaque, but I don't really give a S.........I'll have a blast.......and that's really all I care about :(:(

I see your mouth moving, but all I hear is "blah... blah... blah... I'm a wimp" :P:(:lol::(

pokinghornetsnestrp1.gif

I see your mouth moving, but all I hear is "blah... blah... blah... I'm a wimp" :( :( :o:(

pokinghornetsnestrp1.gif

Throw all the sticks and stones you want :lol::( ...... I've never claimed that "Crawdad Racing" was anything but a joke :(

I was just trying to point out that this ride can be enjoyable, perhaps even more enjoyable for some less aggressive/abitious riders (like me), if you pick and choose your tracks rather than trying to squeeze it all into one day which may leave you depleted for the second day.....just my $.02 and for the record, NOT a hijack :lol:

This is the only ride where I push it up like this. I guess I'm just too much of a wimp to race, so this is my one and only "race" for the year. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment and the struggle of "man -vs- mountain" of going for the plaque...

I guess this is my version of running a marathon or doing a triathlon. It's more of a mental thing I guess...

blah... blah... blah...

pokinghornetsnestrp1.gif

Anyon know whats the cost? and how long do you have to run the hard way?

blah... blah... blah...

pokinghornetsnestrp1.gif

$110 for both days if you sign up in advance. Don't know about the time.

blah... blah... blah...

pokinghornetsnestrp1.gif

$110 for both days if you sign up in advance. Don't know about the time.

As far as time goes, you can leave as early as 6 or 6:30. Actually, you can leave as early as you want - but if you leave too early, you risk beating the first checkpoint team to the checkpoint. They send out sweeps and if the sweep catches you, they tell you to bail. If you hit a checkpoint after a given time, they tell you to bail (different times for different checkpoints). Last year, I rolled in around 8 or 8:30 and was just ahead of the final sweep riders.

I will give it a shot, but how do you do 150 miles, you have to stop for gas?

I will give it a shot, but how do you do 150 miles, you have to stop for gas?

It's more like 160-180 miles, and there is one planned gas/lunch stop for the route.

so do you think we will have to go up delamar mountain again? :rolleyes:

what do you think doug?

after going back to this thread, maybe I'll just stay home :lol:

big bear stuff

If' there's one thing I learned from our ride up there, it's that I will always start the Big Bear run with a fresh knobbie. I may throw on a trials tire for this years run and give it a shot...

If' there's one thing I learned from our ride up there, it's that I will always start the Big Bear run with a fresh knobbie. I may throw on a trials tire for this years run and give it a shot...

While no tire is optimal for all conditions, alot of guys are running a Pirelli MT43 trails tire with 8 lbs of air pressure with UHD tubes. I haven't tried it yet, but a few of the guys I know swear with this set-up for rocks. Perfect for Gold Mt, John Bull, Delamar, Redondo, Bald Hill & others.

I'm in working the event as a sweeper.

Where to buy:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

Reviews:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/1963/Mot...ire-Review.aspx

Comments:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939708

While no tire is optimal for all conditions, alot of guys are running a Pirelli MT43 trails tire with 8 lbs of air pressure with UHD tubes. I haven't tried it yet, but a few of the guys I know swear with this set-up for rocks. Perfect for Gold Mt, John Bull, Delamar, Redondo, Bald Hill & others.

Yep, I'm taking Gil's advice and throwing one on before the BBTR ride this year.......he's swears by that tire

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ost&p=33572

The tire, heavy duty tube, and extra rimlock came to about ~$90 w free shipping.......plan on putting it on the back of the 520 when I start riding in hard/rocky stuff as opposed desert riding......looks perfect for Moab/Big Bear/Bass Lake, etc.....

I can not seem to find the ride flyer on the bbtr website. Could someone please post the ride flyer and application?

thanks, Ben

I can not seem to find the ride flyer on the bbtr website. Could someone please post the ride flyer and application?

thanks, Ben

As of last week it was not up on their site yet. I got the flyer in the mail with the D-38 dual sport monthly news letter.

I'll probably give it a try again this year as well. Hopefully this year I won't be sick, or fall, or . . . . <_<

I love the Michelin trials tire on my Trials bike. I think they make a tube version of it as well. Might give that a go.

Will probably add a tooth or two to my rear sprocket as well - no need for top speed on this event!

IN!!!

Is anyone going to go for the hard ways with me this year or am I going to have to attempt them solo for a third year??? :lol:

I will probably ride one hardway.

So do we have an updated total for the original post of who is going or a breakdown of hard/easy. I am trying to find a suitable replacement for the fact I likely won't get to do Westfest this year and this sounds like an incredible ride. Whats the rate at the Motel 6 I imagine they are filling up or filled up by now?

Are the easy routes REALLY REALLY easy I see "passengers for free" so is this 2up ridable?

Jason; i don't know the route, but have ridden the trails a few times...

I would call most of the trails "easy easy", but still fun... I would not subject a full size passenger to any of the trails, but the fire roads would be fine.

A good thing on this size event... if you get stuck, you WILL get help... even if it somebody moving your bike for you; just so they can get going <_<