Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Ocotillo Wells Green Sticker Ride

Mickey and I are going to head out to Ocotillo Wells this Saturday for a little dez-run. We'll leave North County around 7am and plan on staging off Cahuilla Trail (first road on the left after the Blu Inn) and riding hopefully by 9am. In the morning, we figured we'd hit some of the runs/locations in the SVRA, and work our way up to the Truckhaven area. If we're making good time, we may work our way up to the phone booth. The tentative plan is to head back to the trucks to gas up and over to the Blu Inn for lunch, then maybe head south from there. Run some of the washes/roads/etc to superstition or maybe even down to Plaster City - depending on the time. Nothing is set in stone - we're just looking for a fun Saturday out in the desert...

Anybody interested in a little green sticker fun???

If there's interest I'll post some coordinates for a meetup and/or staging location...

***** ADDED - Friday, 27 Feb / 8:20am *****

It looks like there are a few takers - so here is the plan.

We'll be leaving North County (San Marcos) at about 7am. We should be out to Ocotillo Wells by about 8:30 and riding by 9am. Let's plan on meeting near the bathrooms at Hidden Valley Camp (N 33 08.66 W 116 02.45). To get there, turn left on Cahuilla Trail (the dirt road about 0.5 miles east of the Blu Inn off Hwy 78) and drive about 1.5 miles north. The bathroom is on the right side of the road, first thing as you come into the camp area. We'll try and score one of the picnic tables, but they fill up pretty fast - so look for us south and east of the bathrooms if we can't find one. We'll be in a black Chevy Silverado 4-door with Louisiana plates and riding a plated KTM 450-EXC and a green-sticker Kawasaki KLX-300.

Ocotillo Wells map here: LINK

Google Maps link for the location of the bathroom: LINK

My cell number is in the members only section and we'll monitor 146.505 on the ham radios (channel 8 if you've got one of my programming loadouts) in case there's no cell signal.

See everyone out there!!!

nac-nac pics

Sure... come along and we'll snap some of you doing nac-nacs... B)

I've been bugging that kid to send them to me. He keeps telling me it's not working.

I'll pester him tomorrow again about them.

I was thinking of going out there sat I have stock tank will that suffice for your riding plans?

Your tank should be fine. We have no concrete plans and are willing to flex to whatever shows up.

Are you thinking about the 2-stroke?

Is there green sticker routes south of Blue Inn/78 hwy from OW?

Is there green sticker routes south of Blue Inn/78 hwy from OW?

Plenty of them, you can go from the Blu Inn to Superstition/Plaster City on green sticker routes. Then you can go from there to the Mexican border if you piece it together right.

Hey Doug any chance of a randevu at superstition or the trestle or somewhere south of 78 in the morning so I can park at plaster city? Driving up to OW takes me an extra hour.

Please don't change your plans for me. If you are set on going north in the morning ignore this post.

Hey Doug any chance of a randevu at superstition or the trestle or somewhere south of 78 in the morning so I can park at plaster city? Driving up to OW takes me an extra hour.

Please don't change your plans for me. If you are set on going north in the morning ignore this post.

We had tentatively planned to spend the morning playing around in the OHV area (a little hill climbing, trail running, and maybe a few jumps) and perhaps heading up to Truckhaven (playing around in the washes and hills there), but we're not "set" on any specific plans. Let's see what the interest is and make the call Friday afternoon...

We had tentatively planned to spend the morning playing around in the OHV area (a little hill climbing, trail running, and maybe a few jumps) and perhaps heading up to Truckhaven (playing around in the washes and hills there), but we're not "set" on any specific plans. Let's see what the interest is and make the call Friday afternoon...

Alright you guys should still do that, if I'm going to join you I can get up early and make the trek to OW.

Doug,

I take by this post that Mickey got his grades up? :wacko:

I am trying to get out and ride with my son (17) but, Mickey is a much better, and experenced rider than my son. How hard a ride is this for a novice (he can manage Kernan fairly well)?

Brian

Doug,

I am trying to get out and ride with my son (17) but, Mickey is a much better, and experenced rider than my son. How hard a ride is this for a novice (he can manage Kernan fairly well)?

Brian

He SAYS he has his grades up - they haven't updated online yet, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt - desert season only lasts so long.

If your son can manage Kernan, he should be fine this weekend. The Truckhaven stuff can get a little hairy, but not too bad (comparable with Kernan). The rest is just playing around so he can bypass the rough stuff or go a little slower if he needs to.

Bring him along - it'll be fine!

Doug,

Brian

He SAYS he has his grades up - they haven't updated online yet, Bring him along - it'll be fine!

He told me the same thing (i was sub-parenting for you while we were riding)... Brian; my 12 year old was along, and other than a couple of sand induced spills, kept up fine... Don't bring your big bike... the hill climbs are too much fun to be on a big heavy bike... also; some of the tops of these hills are VERY thin... do NOT go blasting over the top, unless you are sure there is a back side... ask me how I know

He told me the same thing (i was sub-parenting for you while we were riding)... Brian; my 12 year old was along, and other than a couple of sand induced spills, kept up fine... Don't bring your big bike... the hill climbs are too much fun to be on a big heavy bike... also; some of the tops of these hills are VERY thin... do NOT go blasting over the top, unless you are sure there is a back side... ask me how I know

I'm on the 450 - time to play!!! Might have to find a big-bike/big-boy ride for Sunday though...

Don't worry about me... I've been watching episodes of "The Great Ride Open" and am ready to step up to the plate!!! :wacko:

No not the smoker, geared wrong, and very limited range.

You'll be fine on the EXC... Plus, if we wind up doing the long ride, the plated bikes can buzz into Ocotillo (the town not OHV area) and gas up...

Doug,

Brian

He SAYS he has his grades up - they haven't updated online yet, Bring him along - it'll be fine!

I'm guessing that it had something to do with that helicopter service you keep flying with. Have you totaled your air miles against the bike miles?

The EXC now sports new tires and mousse rings. :lol:

Brian

First post updated with a more concrete meeting plan...

I really wanted to make the ride, I had hoped seeing Mickey ride could help my son over the next hurdle with his confidence, but the borrowed bike fell through and he doesn't want to ride the KLR 250 anymore (I understand, as there was no more improvement to be had from riding it). I hope for another chance in the near future. I'll just have to get in trouble on own, locally. Have a great ride.

Thanks, Brian