Hey Wes, good to see another BIG BIKE out there, I rode my 950. If you want to go out to get more practice on your GS, let me know.......we can take the big bikes out for a day, or 2 or 3 :lol:

I'm in... but let's lose the sand. :blink: I heard you were tearing it up out there with the 950. That is a hell of a dirt bike, in addition to being a bigger bore DS. Probably a lot of fun. Not so much on the GS in the sand.

My motivation for riding the GS was plain and simple... we are riding from Ushuaia, Argentina to Anchorage this time next year, and opportunities to go ride challenging terrain with this much inherent support are rare. I was further resolving in my own mind that the bike is good to go, and that with the proper amount of forethought it would be fine in any condition.

That said, there are better tools for the job.

It occurred to me after hitting a "mystery whoop" going over 70 down the power line road that the near-yard sale I had would have probably cost more that buying a really nice smaller DS bike.

With 30K or so into the Bimmer, I think that a certain amount of preservation of it's value may be in order. I proved that it can do it, and that it is a wildly capable vehicle, but I don't need to tempt fate with it more times than necessary.

Kind of like in the military. They used to make us qualify over and over with static line parachute, even being free-fall qualified. It is a dumb and dangerous thing to do. If a Jeep can be put out the back regularly, a Navy SEAL sure as hell should be able to do so as well. No need to take unnecessary chances practicing. This subject is near and dear to me, because a static line crash ended my military career early, and for very little gain training wise.

I am getting a smaller bike. Went to SDBMW yesterday and looked at a 650X, but think it is a little large for what I want I think... who knows. I already have a dual sport, what I really want is a plated dirt bike.

Jeez I hope they release that 450X here soon...

I attended my first dd last weekend and it was great. I cannot wait for next year! Thanks to everyone who let me tag along in there groups after my riding partner had a flat at the beginning of section 1 day 1!!! A special thanks to bruceh and the other Bruce for without them I might still be wandering around borrego springs by the dump road somewhere. I completed all of day 1 but slapped my ribs on the ground day two and cut it short after lunch (which was awesome!). I thought the event was well planned and organized. It was a big workout to ride my klx650 through all that sand. Good times.... Good times...

welcome Wes! I got a picture at the sandwich stop day one... I wasn't on the course, though, so none of you beating that GS in to submission

There was one other 1200, too, but it was the HP2

post-122-1235791769.jpg

That said, there are better tools for the job.

It occurred to me after hitting a "mystery whoop" going over 70 down the power line road that the near-yard sale I had would have probably cost more that buying a really nice smaller DS bike.

I am getting a smaller bike. Went to SDBMW yesterday and looked at a 650X, but think it is a little large for what I want I think... who knows. I already have a dual sport, what I really want is a plated dirt bike.

Jeez I hope they release that 450X here soon...

Take a look at both Husky and Beta. Eyeties beat the germans hands down. :blink: Wish I knew how to ride one.

I was kinda busy for most the DD and only got a few pic's.

The whole event was awesome weather.

dd1-1.jpg

dd2-1.jpg

The Schwinn Inn valet parking

dd3-1.jpg

Our exhausted Japanese riders Saturday night

dd4-1.jpg

Did some exploring Sunday

dd5-1.jpg

dd6-1.jpg

Trivia

Where is this sign?

dd7-1.jpg

Did anyone see any of this?

dd8-1.jpg

Next year I ride more.

dd9-1.jpg

Trivia

Where is this sign?

dd7-1.jpg

Corner of Hollywood and Vine. :rolleyes:

Passed it 3 times that weekend :lol:

Corner of Hollywood and Vine. :lol:

Passed it 3 times that weekend :)

Some riders never look up. :rolleyes:

Corner of Hollywood and Vine. :blink:

Passed it 3 times that weekend :huh:

Some riders never look up. :unsure:

I actually never looked up, I got the call on the radio to look up ;)

I actually never looked up, I got the call on the radio to look up :blink:

Sounds like an opportunity for me to roll out there again and set another waypoint/viewpoint :unsure::huh: (yes, I am a GPS Geek)

I know where it is, but won't say because it's like cheating........since I know the entire route and have done those routes many times over.

Trivia

Where is this sign?

dd7-1.jpg

Corner of Hollywood and Vine. :ok:

Passed it 3 times that weekend :ok:

Going through the route Canon sin Nombre, I believe. I remember seeing the sign prior to the caves....